Acid reflux after surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 10:36 am - CA
 So I've been hearing a lot about acid reflux after surgery. Is that something that happens as a result of the sleeve? If you've never had it before, will I get it after? And why is Pepcid precribed after surgery? 
Thanks.
acbbrown
on 8/12/11 10:41 am - Granada Hills, CA
I did not have acid reflux before the sleeve and now have it after. I don't know why, but it's mostly controllable with a good solid eating plan and meds.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Marcia B.
on 8/12/11 10:48 am - CA
I was the opposite I had a little acid reflux before surgery but I don't have it at all right now.  the first week was the only time I took OTC prevacid and since the swelling has gone done now that its been a month no more acid problems.
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Ulysses
on 8/12/11 11:25 am

I never had a problem with heartburn in my entire life - I could eat a whole habenero pepper np...
After surgery I now have heartburn off and on even after drinking water. I bought OTC Xantac and Tums - they work pretty good. Had a appt with my PCP this week and he is going to put me on Nexium?
Good luck
Jason
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

cancelsbronx
on 8/12/11 11:35 am - Stamford, CT

Everyone is different so you will get a number of responses.  I noticed I had it before my surgery, I do have it now a little bit, not as bad as before.  I noticed that seperating my vitamins and not taking them all at once helps a lot.  Also, eating late is not a good idea, if anything I try to have sugarfree Jello an hour before going to bed and I do not have problems, but I notice that if I do miss a meal and eat like an hour before bed I end up getting it at night time. 

Best regards,

Santos:)

KathyA999
on 8/12/11 11:47 am
As others have said, everyone is different.  If you have GERD before surgery, it can be better, worse, or the same afterwards. If you don't, you may or may not get it.  I had GERD before surgery, and it's worse now, if I didn't take my PPI, which I take twice a day (Protonix).

But you might want to do a little research about treatments for stomach acid.  PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) are taken daily and help prevent acid from forming.  Some of these include OTC meds like Prilosec and Prevacid as well as Rx versions of those same meds, along with Dexilant, Protonix, etc.  H2 blockers such as Pepcid, Tagamet, and Zantac reduce acid once it forms.  I actually cycled thru about five PPIs before I landed on one that (so far) has really worked well.  While taking others, I also took Pepcid when I was feeling particularly acidy.

GERD is a fairly common early result of surgery, and in some people it resolves after a few weeks or months.  Many surgeons put their patients on a PPI after surgery, just in case. 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

DrHollywood
on 8/12/11 1:53 pm - Harbor City, CA
I had the worst case of acid refluex before surgery. In fact, I had a hyatal hernia.
It was really  really bad to where at night I threw up in my sleep.  In fact it was so bad
it was called gerd. 

So when I had my surgery they repaired the hyatal hernia....  prescribed me pepcid
afterwards....   I was like in heaven.

The only time it might start acting up but never reaches my throat anymore I just feel it
in my chest is when I eat vitamin C chewable or If I ate something or too much.
So I try and avoid these situations 97% of the time.

this is just my experience.

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 2:49 pm
I never had it before surgery, but I did afterward big time. I'm on Prilosec OTC and that works. I stopped it for a couple of days and the hb came back, so I'm probably going to be on it for quite a while.
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/11 12:04 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15
When I asked my surgeon why he uses a larger than standard bougie (40-42F instead of 32-34), he said one of the reasons is because GERD becomes more likely the smaller your new stomach is.  It makes sense, I guess -- the less room there is for acid to float around down there, the more likely it is to come back up!  But I've never heard anyone say they're so miserable from it that they wish they hadn't done the surgery.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views