When we get coffee back?

BetterMe711
on 8/17/11 4:01 am - SC
I'm three weeks out and feeling great but still get tired pretty easily. I don't know whether I should take it easy a little longer or up the exercise. I'm walking about two miles a day just in my normal routine.

When do we get coffee back? The mornings are tough!
USAF Wife
on 8/17/11 4:05 am
About 6 weeks out. I was able to get in my clear fluid requirement on top of a morning cup of coffee. Hydration is the main concern, and the fact that it can be acidic for some, and if you aren't on a PPI it might cause some discomfort.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

barber64
on 8/17/11 4:16 am - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
I understood that to only have decaf coffee. because reg coffee eats up the inside linning of the stomach. something like that.
USAF Wife
on 8/17/11 4:22 am
Did regular coffee eat up the inside lining of the stomach pre-op??? No, it's acidic, but it's not necessarily going to eat the inside lining of the stomach. That is why I added that if the original poster was not on a PPI, it could cause some irritation. However, there are plenty of us that have enjoyed coffee with zero negative effects. I drink coffee every morning, with regular French Vanilla creamer and splenda.

Liquids go in, liquids go out. It's not like coffee, water, soda or any other liquid sits in our stomachs brewing for hours on end.

It was recommended to get past the initial 6 weeks healing period, we were released for normal coffee consumption. I was served coffee during a 2nd hospitalization around 6-7 weeks post-VSG.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

FaithForward
on 8/17/11 4:24 am - Houston, TX
I have my one cup (my crack) of coffee (no decaf) every morning. I kicked my coffee habit for awhile, but started back about 5 months post op.
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded. ~2 Chronicles 15:7 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers 
5'6" ~ Loving a size 4 ~
Plastics Apr 17th, 2012 with Dr. Sauceda ~ BL, BA, LBL w/ flap aug & mini thigh lift!

3sweetpeas
on 8/17/11 4:25 am - Tehachapi, CA
I was told once I can get in 64 ounces or more then I can have regular coffee.

I'm one week out today and enjoying a cup of decaf right now sure wi**** has a caffeine boost though, LOL!
Tamara
Highest BMI & Weight during VSG journey -- 44.5 / 259
Current BMI & Weight -- 37.8 / 220

emelar
on 8/17/11 4:49 am - TX
Some docs want you to stay away from caffeinated coffee because it's acidic and could lead to ulcers.  I did decaf for the first few months, then went back to regular.  Didn't have a problem with it before surgery and don't have a problem with it after.

Hint:  dark roast is less acidic than medium or light roast.

I count my coffee as part of my fluid intake.  I've seen several recent studies that say that coffee has no more of a diuretic effect than water, unless you drink it in mega-doses.  It's certainly never acted as a diuretic for me!
anninva
on 8/17/11 4:56 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
my NUT and nurse practitioner at the surgeon's office told me that both coffee and diet coke (or other carbonated beverages) were both fine.  No time set on when i could start either.  i was also told that caffeinated beverages count toward fluid intake.  the only thing the NUT said about diet coke was that it would make me burp.  not worried.  i've had no problems.  have a large mcd latte or star$$$ skinny vanilla latte every morning and diet coke at lunch.  dinner varies.  i will admit that i'm bad at getting in scads of other liquid, so i'm still working on that.

as many have noted, different docs have different rules, so this is just my info and experience!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Birdie55
on 8/17/11 4:57 am
I was also told I could use caffeinated coffee once I was getting in my full 64 ounces of fluids daily.  I think it took a month or so before I started drinking a cup in the morning again.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

acbbrown
on 8/17/11 5:22 am - Granada Hills, CA
I cannot drink a regular cup of coffee - even with my PPI - it KILLS me.

I can drink a skinny latte with my PPI and it still irritates me a little bit, ut apparently, not enough to force me to give it up.

I

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 228 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views