Self pay question

ND2BTHN
on 9/13/11 12:49 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Hi everyone. I have been lurking for a little while now and recently decided to join. I am from Ontario, and decided that the sleeve would be the best choice for me. However, OHIP doesn't cover the sleeve unless you are over 50 bmi. I am only 40.1 and don't wish to gain more just to accomodate the system. I want to self pay, but want to know if anyone has ever had a surgeon within Canada accept self paying patients?

I haven't got official approval from my doctor as of yet, but I did speak with him about it on my last visit. His response was how I expected it to be, but he wasn't closed to the subject. He prefered I'd wait, due to my current adrenal fatique problems, but I feel waiting won't resolve this issue. In fact I think losing the weight will only help my current imbalance.  He said it took years to get me this way and it could take years to come back. That is not an option for me. I truly believe that my weight is contributing to my adrenal fatigue issues, and I am currently battling hypoglycemia and sleep apnea too. I have a long family history of heart diseasse, diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea, and don't like the road I am heading into.

Is it possible to self pay within Canada, or do I have to look else where?  I am going back in on Friday, for the results of my hormonal saliva test, and wish to discuss it with him again. However I would like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible in regards to if it is possible within Canada. This info is soo hard to find, so any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 1:41 pm
I'm no help here at all. I would ask the surgeon you pick to help seek that info out. Maybe Google it? Wishing you the best!
Rouxful
on 9/13/11 2:14 pm
 Maybe I'm missing something, but why not get it done in Mexico? I got mine done this summer in Tijuana, only I don't have Canada's free health care to help me out if I spring a leak ;)

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

ND2BTHN
on 9/14/11 12:20 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Well,  it is a misconception but if it's not a popular tourist resort, most Canadians are afraid of Mexico. At least everyone I know is.  It took a month of hard convincing to get my husband to consider vacationing in Cancun in April. Everytime I said the word Mexico, everyone gasped. 

I have to admit, even I was leary of the prospect, but have read many positive reviews so far and am seriously considering it. I don't like the idea either, of being so far away from the surgeon if there are complications, but I am fairly confident there won't be any, if it is done right. 

Also our health care is great, and I am greatful for it, but it's not totally free. We pay for it dearly in our taxes. We are one of the hightest taxed nations in the world, and we pay the most for everything, even with our dollar being strong, we still over pay.  I am from Toronto, so we get it from every direction, but I still like the system we have. Can't  complain too much.
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 2:31 pm - Canada
Hi, I am from British Columbia. Our medical system MSP covers the surgery but there is a 4 year wait. There is NO option for self-pay here so I am going to see Dr. Joya in Mexico in 3 weeks.

It is interesting because I was able to self pay for knee surgery because there was a 2 year wait at the time but you can't get WLS that way.

Good luck to you!
ND2BTHN
on 9/14/11 12:01 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Wow, i thought ours at 2 years, was a long wait. I have considered going to Detroit, or New York, as well as Mexico.

However, it would take a lot of convincing to have my husband support me going there. I had to beg and convince him that Cancun, was safe for our vacation last spring. He's a worry wart, but can be reasonable if he is pursuaded. I know it is for me, and my decision, but I would never do anything without his support, and interests in mind too. I will definitely work on that one.

Would you mind explaining how you went about arranging it in Mexico. Did your doctor provide a referral letter, and you contacted them yourself, to set up a date? Who arranged the psych and nutritionist or did you skip that step? Is that out of pocket too? Sorry for all the questions. Still in the research stage.

Thanks!
hollykim
on 9/14/11 12:11 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
When you go to MX there is no  psych or Nut requirement. There is no sleep test or 6 month diet or anything else. No referral letter from your doctor.

All you need is your downpayment and a passport. You can usually pick your date from a couple of weeks ,enough to do your preop diet,to several months out. It is at your convenience.

Did going to MX on vacaion not convince you DH of anything?

missuscat
on 9/13/11 9:02 pm
http://www.weightlosssurgery.ca/en/about/facilities/muhc   - located in Montreal, Quebec.

My experience as self pay with Dr Christou was very positive.  Check out his website, lots of info and Mary his admin assistant is extremely helpful as well.  Good Luck!!
On my way to becoming a WLS "Loser"!!     
ND2BTHN
on 9/13/11 11:47 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out.
susanpalmer
on 9/14/11 5:31 am - annapolis county, Canada
Nova Scota here our wait time has jumped to ten years. I am going to mexico in dec come along with me.

susan palmer    
highest weight 280 current weight 186

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views