Hello! I am new, and I have a ??

GeneralSandyK
on 10/29/11 2:59 am
 Hello there! 

My name is Sandy, I am scheduled to be sleeved on Nov. 22nd, and I am really really excited. I have been scouring this message board and have been loving the amount of information everyone has and gives. I have been searching for the answer to my question and I haven't found a specific answer. I have a severe phobia of vomitting and nausea, I do realize that this is inevitable with the surgery and I am hoping that I am one of the ones who doesn't have this ongoing. My question is, how many of you were sent home with Zofran? I asked my surgeon for it, and she gave it to me (lots), I have used it in the past for morning sickness. For those that were given Zofran, did you find that it greatly helped with your nausea or did the Zofran not touch it??

Thanks so much!
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 3:07 am
It did not help me, I threw it back up but not when I was sleeved.  I had no nausea after being sleeved.  I recent'y had foot surgery and had severe nausea.  They gave me Zofran and I just threw it up. I ended up in the hospital for dehydration and was given suppositories which you can't throw up.... Like you I have a phobia about throwing up so it was especially hard on me.  I think if I were you I would also ask for some composine suppositories...
ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/29/11 3:09 am
I had nausea and vomiting after surgery.  The medication they gave me in the hospital was great!  I had a rotation of reglan, zofran, and phenergan.  My nausea and vomiting was pretty bad so they rotated those three meds to keep me medicated.  I was sent home with one of them and have been fine since.  Good luck.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
lucy2e
on 10/29/11 3:15 am - Laurel, MD
 Hi Sandy - welcome and congrats on having a surgery date!

I went home with generic Zofran.  I never really had any nausea - I took it for a few days "just in case" but discontinued since I felt fine.  Have only "lost it" twice since surgery - both times due to vitamins - my sleeve is not a fan of vitamins!

I suggest you don't stress yourself over the nausea - you may not even have it and worrying won't help it!

Good luck on an uneventfull surgery and an easy recovery!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

46_11tobeme
on 10/29/11 3:29 am - NJ
 I had surgery mon and was extremely nauseous for 3 days post op. Vomiting the first night of surgery - dry heaves all night. Not to scare you but I was not prepared for this and wish i was (though not sure how you can be prepared for feeling that bad). I didnt expect it to be so bad and the nausea meds barely helped. BUT after 3rd day the nausea is much better. They sent me home with Zofran but haven't had to use it.  Seems like the extreme nausea does not happen to everyone, but you should be prepared just in case as it is a possibility. Good luck

edelu
on 10/29/11 3:40 am - los angeles, CA

I have not had one episode of vomiting or nausea.  Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.

BriarRose
on 10/29/11 3:47 am
I talked to the anesthesiologist before surgery and told him that I have had really bad nausea with anesthesia. He told me not to worry about it and that he would give me something with the anesthesia to counteract the nausea. I did not have ANY nausea post op; until having to drink the crap for the leak test. As soon as that was over I took a sublingual (under the tounge) dissolving zofran and it went right away. I was sent home with the sublinguals and never took even one.

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Happy966
on 10/29/11 3:55 am

I was nervous about the nausea, but I did not have one bit following surgery.  I was also told that the doctor gave me anti-nausea medication coming out of surgery.  I never felt sick while healing or transitioning to new foods.  Only a little pain the first time I ate solid chicken breast.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

jessicae
on 10/29/11 4:01 am
 i can relate to your fear. i told the anesthesiologist and he said they would make sure they gave me extra.  i remember waking up and just yelling "nauseous!".  that's the only word i could speak. lol.  they finally gave me zofran and that worked until i was a little more awake.  because i was on morphine pca (button you can push yourself) i think that was adding to the nausea, because the zofran didn't work and they brought me compazine which was much better.  i went home with comapzine for nausea, levsin for nausea and cramping and only used them the first 2 days and then was fine.  

goodl uck to you! 

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

ElleMarie
on 10/29/11 4:03 am
I always have nausea from being put to sleep.  BUT the good news is that it is over for me in a short time.  The shot I got was GREAT, just after I vomited one time.  I had nausea one other time that was quickly attended to by the nurse and then I was fine.  

So far after being 4 months out I have only been nauseated once...didn't vomit but did feel like it.  Have not had to take a single med for it.  I always keep phentergan available just in case but lucky I have not needed it.

The sleeve does not involve the type of nausea that can come with the bypass, fortunately.
 laurieunapologetically.blogspot.com/
Gastric Sleeve 6/10/2011
Starting weight 291
Dr Ortiz, Tijauna Mexico
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 260 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views