Sleeved, gallbladder and appendix removed. Very Depressed!

ksmart
on 12/2/11 10:00 am - MN
 Good Friday Afternoon All!
I just really need some support right now and some people to help me see the bright side of surgery. I will try to make this short and sweet....I was sleeved 10-13-11. The first week was pretty good. After that things went to hell in a hand basket. I started having very bad and severe abdominal pain...needless to say after every test known to man, two ER visits and on the 3rd ER visit I was admitted to the the hospital 11-18 and had my gallbladder and appendix removed 11-22-11. During that surgery they found out that I have mild to severe endometriosis. The pain subsided a little but was still there. Needless to say I got a Lurpon shot for the Endometriosis on Wendesday 11-30 and feel almost worse now. I have serious bone pain, in my wrists, hips, ribs and well almost everywhere.it hurts to take deep breaths and my ridght back side hurts so much. I saw my bariatric nurse today and she said that all this pain that I am having is "normal" and that I need to "push" myself Iike I never have before and get back to work. I haven't worked since surgery. I am supposed to go back Monday half days. Between the pain, the gallbladder, appendix,endometriosis and now medically going through menopause and not knowing what all this pain is I'm depressed. I cry all the time, and just can't seem to get out of this. I want to know has anyone had any experince with any of this? I really hate to be a baby and sit here and be a debby dower. Any adivce suggestions is so much appreciated. God Bless!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 12/2/11 10:15 am
I don't have any advice, but I do have big hugs for you.  I'm not big on crying, but damnit you've been through hell this past month...CRY and then CRY some more.  Take it one day at a time.  Start walking and increase it.  You do have to push yourself or it's never going to get better.  I can't make your pain go away, but I can be here if you ever want to talk or just complain.  Take care and be strong.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
(deactivated member)
on 12/2/11 10:20 am
I don't have any experience with this, so I apologize if my opinion isn't what you're looking for...

My main suggestion is to speak to a doctor, not a nurse. You just had THREE surgeries and you have other things going on. A lot of people say that they are weak the first few weeks as it is, I couldn't imagine with all of those extra things. If I absolutely couldn't function and a NURSE told me to go back to work I would definitely request to see the doctor. IAlso, it might not be the bariatric doctor that you need to be seeing about the pain management.

The most important thing is YOUR health. Don't let them push you to go back if YOU know you're not ready. Be your own advocate and fight for yourself. You may end up hurting yourself if you go back too soon. On the other hand, I think if you stay home and rest, you should try to get up and move around a bit and try to be social so that you don't get too depressed.

Even though you're having such a rough start, I bet in a few months I'm going to read that you are doing great and that it was all worth it. :) Keep your head up.
(deactivated member)
on 12/2/11 11:06 am
How much stuff to go through... You should also really think about seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist for a little bit.  A short course of talk therapy,and meds if you need them, can really, really help you get to a place where you can handle your situation.  And remember that asking for help is ALWAYS a sign of strength, not weakness. 
Meme10
on 12/2/11 11:16 am - TX
Your pain may be caused by depression. Ask your doctor for Cymbalta. It will lift you out of depression and the pain. It is very common to be depressed after surgery. You have had major surgery twice in a month. Wow! I have Fibromyalgia. I know how you feel to hurt all over. I take Savella and Lexapro. They really help me with pain and depression. And walking everyday will really help. I hope you feel better soon!
lucy2e
on 12/2/11 11:50 am - Laurel, MD
 Wow - so sorry you are going thru so much all at once!  Cut yourself some slack, you have a lot going on and your hormones have been thrown for a loop - it's no wonder you are feeling down.  Please know that things will get better with time and we are here to support you when you need it!

(((hugs)))

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

SuzanneR
on 12/2/11 12:17 pm - Randolph, NJ
Lupron is a nightmare medication and I cannot believe doctors are using it (just my opinion) it has some major side effects (like menopause symptoms, depression and weight gain) please do as much research as possible and decide for yourself if you want to continue.
I am so sorry you are having so much pain at this time. My thoughts are with you.

4mynewlife
on 12/2/11 12:45 pm - Yorktown, VA
Wow, I am so sorry to hear that you had such a rough time. That is a great misfortune!! Cry, it is very much ok !! You have to realese your emotions. The bright side of this is that you are alive!!! I am just recovering now from surgery, done on the 11/30th. I had a very rough 24 hrs. I had scar tissue from the lap band and this made it harder for me. All I could think about was prayer for God to get me through, every 5 minutes I was saying this to myself, "This too shall pass", and pretty soon the 5 minutes got me through the night into the next morning.  I can't even imagine having to go right back into surgery next week to remove anything. You will get through this, as for the depression if you feel like it is getting to the point where you cant come out of it. Please ask your doctor for a prescription.
God bless you. I just said a prayer for your speedy recovery.
ksmart
on 12/2/11 10:54 pm - MN
 Have you had the Lupron shot before? I have been researching it and I hear more people don't like it than can tolerate it. I am one of the people that hate it. It was less than a week ago that  I got it and I don't know if I have had side effects from it yet, but I can't stop crying. I feel worse actually. I truly feel like I wa**** with a baseball bat. I feel like someone grabbed my wrists and squeezed as tight as possible. They hurt so bad. I have this terrible pain in my right back side. It hurts to take deep breaths...I am supposed to go back to work half days Monday? I don't want to contiune this med. As they just started it I got the month shot and am supposed to go back and get the 3 month shot. I don't want it. But then part of me says, if this is going to help with my endometriosis then I will do it. If you have any ideas suggestions please please share. I feel like I am just hanging onto a thread. I appreciate your words and thoughts

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/11 1:48 pm, edited 12/2/11 10:54 pm - CA
Wow, I had to double check the name after I read the first three sentences because I didn't remember submitting this post.  My surgery was also 10/13 and my story starts out very similar to yours.  I was fine for the first week and then went downhill from there.  I had my gall bladder removed exactly two weeks later.  My third trip to the ER was less than 24 hours after being released.  That time I was dehydrated, had severe nausea, and pancreatitis.  I've been receiving nutrition through an IV for the last month.  I'm also due to return to work half-day next week.  I'm feeling better but can't tolerate anything by mouth without first taking my anti-nausea meds.

I can truly say "I feel your pain".  Please hang in there...you will get better.  WE will get better.  Don't be down.  This is just a minor set back to a major victory against obesity.  Hang in there.

Stephanie
Most Active