How do weigh/measure food??

Stronger1
on 1/2/12 11:14 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hello all...
Started on soft foods and finally feeling like somewhat normal person.  But my question is how do you measure or weigh food.  I have been measuring liquids (incl yogurt, cottage cheese) by volume but yesterday I had some snack cheese and 2 slices of deli meat and weighed it...it measured less than 2 ounces, but it looked like a huge (post sleeve) portion! I didn't think I'd be able to fini**** but it all went down fine!!
Just curious how others measure out their portions...

P_B
on 1/2/12 11:20 pm - Norfolk, VA
I do my food by weight, then what I don't consume I weigh after I eat to get a good idea of my intake. I havnt had much food like cottage cheese and yogurt but when I do I measure it also by weight and volume like 1/4c is so many ounces. I like weighing it on the scale no matter what it is.

wls2011
on 1/2/12 11:21 pm - Ballston Lake, NY
 I go by ounces...it's either on the package of food like my yogurts or cheese sticks, if it's not..I use a little plastic scale to measure things like deli meat. Sometimes I eyeball it & take a guess, especially at a restaurant. But early out, I stuck to soup at restaurants to be safe, it was easier to take in the liquid portion of the soup.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

RoyBoy
on 1/2/12 11:30 pm, edited 1/2/12 11:31 pm - WI
I don't weigh anything, my doctor didn't tell me to. But if I eat slowly, there is no way I could overeat as my sleeve is doing it's job. I can eat 2 heaping tablespoonsof cottage cheese at a sitting. I eat about every 2 hours or so. This morning I ate 1 scrambled egg for breakfast. I'll have a protein shake mid morning and so on. Good luck, listen to what your body is telling you and you will learn how to eat without measuring your food. This is what my doctor told me and I beleive him. 

Stronger1
on 1/3/12 12:08 am - Charlotte, NC
I can certainly understand that method...but the thing is I have not felt fullness yet...and being only 5 weeks out I want to be extra careful with my sleeve.  I also want to develop the habit of eating under capacity.

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/12 12:21 am
You are exactly on the right track here.  Please continue to weigh and measure your food.  I can honestly say that there is no better tool in the long run for learning to eat well with the sleeve, for making changes when they are needed and for staying accountable in the long run.  These early learned habits will be what gets you to goal and keeps you there.  Just weigh all dense food like meat, and measure with a cup things like cottage cheese.  Journal every single bite and keep track of overall calories, proteins and carbs.  Even at this late day, 2.5 years out, weighing, measuring and journaling is what I would turn to FIRST if I felt even a tiny bit out of control in my eating. 
Stronger1
on 1/3/12 2:13 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks Elena...you are one of my sleeve role models!!

acbbrown
on 1/3/12 12:22 am - Granada Hills, CA

If you look at all the successful plans (WLS plans, WW, etc) you will see they all share a common component - weighing, measuring and tracking. You cannot track unless you  measure. If the only reason you aren't tracking is because your dr didn't tell you do, that's kind of silly logic, especially if you spend enough time on these boards.

If it works for you, more power to you, but I can't see how that strategy will work beyond the first few months. I could easily put away enough calories to gain weight by "listening to my body". Generally speaking as a population of people needing WLS because we couldn't do it on our own, relying solely on our ability to "listen to our bodies" is a really bad idea. Just generally, a large percentage of us didnt eat because we were hungry and had extremely large stomachs that needed a lot of food. We ate for other reasons.

Based on your description of what you are eating, you are early out. Yes, you will feel a lot of restriction because you are still healing, but trust me, 6 months out and you will be able to eat more. I can now eat 2 scrambled eggs and not feel "full" so I could eat some more. Just because I "can"  doesnt mean I should. If you want to be successful, follow Frisco's advice and undereat your sleeve's capacity (and you have to actually measure to do that).

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Stronger1
on 1/3/12 2:31 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks acbbrown...looks like you've done great!

smbergie200
on 1/2/12 11:49 pm - Naples, FL
I put a paper plate on the scale, plop the food on it,  and measure by ounces.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views