Can't feel restriction...should I test the limits?

Stronger1
on 1/8/12 11:59 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hiya..
I'm 5 weeks out and following my food plan to a T...and wondering why I can't feel any restriction yet?  I'm eating soft food now, usually eating about 2 ounces per meal...but yesterday I was curious and ate about 3 ounces of chili...maybe it passed through quickly because of the liquid, but I ate it with no problems.  What gives?  I'm wondering if I should actually try to overeat something so I can find out what my restriction is and how it feels to be full?  I am not trying to development the habit to eat until fullness, but I do want to know at what point I should stop, say if I'm at a restaurant or something and I can't weigh or measure my portion.  I'd hate for my first experience with fullness to be tossing my cookies in a public place.

acbbrown
on 1/9/12 12:05 am - Granada Hills, CA
I do not recommend it. For the most part (id say around 85%) of the time for me, at 7  months out, I feel no sense of fullness after my meals - say 2.5 oz of protein and 1/2 cup veggies. So, I know I cannot use a sense of fullness to determine when I need to be done eating. Some days, I can eat 3 tbs of something, and feel stuffed, and other days, I have eaten way more than I should have without feeling ill (think slider type foods) so it depends on the day, the food, etc whether I ever "feel full".   When I'm eating out, I tend to eat slower than I do at home so I usually get a pretty good gauge of when I need to be done eating, and when I'm getting close to the "one bite too many". I have over eaten when eating out, but ive never thrown up. I will get intense pressure and feel like I really just want to die for a minute, and get the foamies (maybe about 5-6 times since surgery), but never thrown up. You will learn quick enough - there's no point really in testing your limits at 5 weeks. You still have a healing stomach and you still have some nerve damage from the surgery, so you should not be feeling full as it is.

The best thing you can do for yourself is learn to eat without needing to feel full to tell you to stop - i believe you will be much more succesful if you learn to eat and be satisfied with premeasured portions.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/12 12:10 am - GA
 I'm glad this question was asked as I've been feeling the same thing, like I have no restriction on many foods. If I read your response correctly, you are saying that our restriction will get tighter further down the road? That's encouraging!
dec721
on 1/9/12 12:17 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
NOOOOO!!  Do not test the limits!!!  First of all, you still have a not-completely-healed slice on the side of your stomach.  Second, the nerves in your stomach have been cut, so some sensation is lost.  Third, isn't it by pushing our limits that we got fat in the first place??  Eat by measurement, according to your surgeon's plan, and don't pu****  In a restaurant, eyeball it. 

Besides, what's the appeal in knowing how it feels to be full?  I can tell you -- miserable.
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Happy966
on 1/9/12 12:19 am

I did not feel any restriction until I was eating dense proteins.  Like Alison, I don't feel restriction most days because I eat less than what my sleeve will hold.  I wouldn't pu**** *at all* because (a) it's uncomfortable when you find it and (b) your tummy is still healing.

I can eat a relatively large amount of anything liquidy, like soup or chili.  It does go through quicker.  I would try to calibrate your eyeballs.  I don't like eating what I haven't weighed, but I am getting pretty good at judging protein by eye.  When I'm eating out, it's really important for me to get a "to go" box if I'm going to be ordering more than I can eat at once.  If the meal goes on to long, I am afraid I can keep eating as the early food passes through the system, so to speak.

Also, I believe Frisco has advised eating slower the closer you get to the end of your meal so you can evaluate your satiety.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

emelar
on 1/9/12 12:25 am - TX
Chili is semi-liquid.  I'm not surprised you felt no restriction.  When you get to dense proteins, like chicken breast or pot roast, you'll feel it.  In the meantime, be kind to your new tummy and don't pu****!
Stronger1
on 1/9/12 12:43 am - Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the responses...so I guess the answer is "NOOOOOOOOOOOO"?? LOL.
I was just going to try eating cottage cheese to see when I start feeling full, but I will give myself some time. I haven't even tried anything dense like chicken, so I will wait. I have been consistently measuring and under eating...I'm just concerned about those times when I can't.
ALAN J.
on 1/9/12 12:57 am
I kind of wish I had that issue.  I get all excited about eating something, cook it, and sit down to eat and I am able to maybe get in two very small bites and I can not put another thing in my mouth... VERY frustrating!  I am still less than 4 weeks out, so hopefully it will get better...

Highest WGT-295, Surgery WGT-295, Goal WGT-215 - 80LB LOST in 8 months!

J.e.t.
on 1/9/12 1:21 am
On January 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM Pacific Time, Alan J. wrote:
I kind of wish I had that issue.  I get all excited about eating something, cook it, and sit down to eat and I am able to maybe get in two very small bites and I can not put another thing in my mouth... VERY frustrating!  I am still less than 4 weeks out, so hopefully it will get better...
 This is how I am too, at 4.5 months out.  I know it's what I signed up for, but I'm hoping that at some point I'll be able to eat more than a few bites.  
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

edelu
on 1/9/12 2:10 am - los angeles, CA
My restriction didn't fully kick in until almost 3 months before that i was worried I'd gotten a bigger sleeve than i asked for.  I don't recommend testing the limits, what i did was weigh all my food and kept to 2/2.5 ounces. I could have eaten more which worried me.  then at about 10 weeks my restriction kicked in and it hasn't stopped.  I still weigh but 2oz is the outer limit now.  You are still on soft food, so for most people they don't feel it until the dense protein phase.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views