Inconsistency on handling liquids - 1week post surgery- need advice

Florida_Pam
on 1/9/12 10:32 am
VSG on 01/04/12
 It seems I'm very inconsistent with my comfort level on liquids.  Today it took me almost 2 hours to drink a protein shake around lunch time yet later in the day I had 1/2 cup or so of cream strained soup and a sf pudding in a total of 30 minutes or so. What should I expect? My stomach didn't hurt while eating the soup but my husband commented that he thought that was a lot in too little time. Anyone else struggling with the right balance?

HW: 335.6,  SW: 328.2,  CW: 287.8
(deactivated member)
on 1/9/12 10:45 am
Strained cream soup for me was like water - just went on through. (Remember, the pyloric valve stays open when you're drinking.)  I had the same issue as you. Some days it took a long time to get my liquids in and on other days it seemed to be easier. Now, almost 5 weeks out, I have NO trouble getting liquids in. I did better in slowing down with protein puddings and ricotta cheese and cottage cheese once I got to purees beginning week 3. That's when it started taking me a while to finish my meals The purees slowed me way down. Now on soft foods it seems like it takes me forever sometimes just to eat two turkey roll ups! 

It does take a while to find your groove with the whole eating thing. Just give yourself time to adjust. If your husband isn't sleeved, he doesn't really get it. He's just trying to take care of you, which is nice (but can also be aggravating!). I'm still finding what I can eat, how long it takes to eat, slowing down the farther into the meal I get to be aware of my satiety, etc.... All those things take time to get used to.

Florida_Pam
on 1/9/12 10:49 am
VSG on 01/04/12
 Thanks so much for the response. I guess sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind. It's nice to hear it's just part of the process! Thanks!

wwjdmommy
on 1/9/12 10:47 am - maud, TX
Actually the doc told to me take 30min to eat my 1/2 cup of soup and yogurt so what you did seems perfectly fine to me.  The 2hrs it took you to drink your shake was a little long I was told to drink it in over an hour. How many oz was it did it taste bad could that have been why?? Just keep plugging at it you will do just fine!!!!!!!!! 

Florida_Pam
on 1/9/12 10:51 am
VSG on 01/04/12
 I think the big issue was I still have gas from surgery and sometimes it is worse than other times. At lunch it was aggravating me, I'm sure that didn't help!

wwjdmommy
on 1/9/12 11:18 am - maud, TX
Try warm broth for the gas it helps!
TonyEldridge
on 1/9/12 10:48 am - Forney, TX
VSG on 12/28/11 with
 I have similar questions. It still takes me around 1.5 hours to get my 16 oz protein shake down, though I have downed it in 45 minutes. However, I can sip 6 oz of soup in 20 minutes without feeling full or any pressure. I'm 12 days out from being sleeved and still trying to get a handle on what to expect. I have an appointment with my NUT on Wednesday, and that is one of the things on my list to ask her.
Tony

Florida_Pam
on 1/9/12 10:53 am
VSG on 01/04/12
 Thanks! Again it's nice to know I'm not the only one with what seems like strange inconsistencies! I started worrying that maybe something was wrong or if I had damaged something by eating too fast!

2muchfluff
on 1/9/12 10:54 am
 Don't worry.  It used to take me a long time to get my liquids in, especially shakes.   Soup and pudding seemed to go down better for me in the beginning as well.  I still have a protein drink every morning in the form of  hot chocolate, and it never goes down as quickly as other liquids.

ruggie
on 1/9/12 10:57 am - Sacramento, CA
Everything is weird the first 2-3 weeks - it's hard to find consistency.  It should be more consistent by the time you hit a month.  You might be more inflammed on Wednesday than you were on Tuesday, who knows?  This happens to a lot of people.  Don't struggle, just do your best.  Eventually, you'll be able to drink just as fast as you did before.  I can drink 16oz in 15 minutes easy now.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views