OLDER AND SCARED

Eliza60
on 2/8/12 10:14 pm
 I am 60 and scared, i am due for vsg surgery 2/14/12.  Wondering if anyone is my age or older and had the procedure and are there any special problems with age.  I had the lap band and had to have it removed due to infection, i was very sick for about a year before they decided it was the band.  anyone reject the staples or stiches?  My first doc and this one told me they had never seen anyone reject the band before and never seen any problems with the staples.  also I am on many meds and concerned i want be able to take them?
lucy2e
on 2/8/12 11:54 pm - Laurel, MD
Hi Eliza,

I'm not in my 60's - I had my sleeve 8 months ago at 42, but I've been on the boards awhile and there are quite a few more senior sleevers.  The ones I have followed have all been very successful and done well both with surgery/recovery and with losng the weight.

There are also many people on who have revised from band to sleeve - again they seem to have done very well.

The only thing I have read is some people have been alergic to the tape used on the incisions after surgery.  They usually just get a rash or redness and irritation (that isn't infection) around the tape.  The staples are titanium and I have never heard of anyone reacting to them.

I had no problems with the surgery or the recovery. 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

momsy55
on 2/8/12 11:56 pm - ME
Hi Eliza!  I will be 57 on Saturday, and had the surgery on 8/22/11.  I did fine with both the surgery and recovery.  At that time, I was on 3 meds for hypertension, and one for diabetes.  I had also been diagnosed with high cholesterol, but was resisting meds for that, by ignoring the dr.  I also was being treated for sleep apnea, needing both a c-pap and oxygen bled into the c-pap.  My knee was a mess, and mobility was getting worse every day.  Lord only knows what other things in my body were ready to blow as well.  I was driving 4 days after surgery, back to work in 2 weeks, dealing with both a 6 year old and a 13 year old the second week, as my husband had gone back to work and school hadn't started for the kids as yet (I'm an old mom, having adopted at 43 and 50), started a jazz dance class 3 weeks to the day following my surgery, and though pooped after (I also did tap in that one class and realized it was not for me), I made it through and loved it!  I am now on only 1 med for hypertension, and my BP has been great.  I still need the c-pap, but the oxygen was d/c'd after I'd lost about 60 lbs.  Everyone is different, so my experience may end up being different than yours or others, but being older does not automatically mean there will be problems.  Good luck!!!!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

BriarRose
on 2/8/12 11:58 pm
I had my vsg right before I turned 55. I will be 56 next month -Yes, there are some folks who are our age and older around. You might try the "50 and over" group by looking on "forums" for more people posting on being over 50 and having wls.

Personally, this is how I looked at it:

I was super morbidly obese. I had/have severe osteo arthritis and was walking with a cane at 54, after a bad fall, and a year later was still needing it. I needed (and still do) 2 knee replacements; but the ortho doc refused to do them because I was too obese to safely have the surgery. I was lucky, and had no diabetes, or high blood pressure issues.

Before surgery, my surgeon and my pcp put me through every darned test they could think of....or at least it felt that way. Upper GI, abdominal ultrasound, cardiac stress test, and non stress test, updated mamogram, blood work after more blood work.....and 5 months of managed calorie diet to lose a minimum of 10% of my weight before surgery.

My heart was examined, my vital organs, and there wasn't anything overlooked. They knew my obese self inside and out. The surgeon felt that I was a great candidate, and I followed whatever they told me to do.

I had surgery, and did really well. Because of my mobility issues, I did stay in the hospital for 2 days post op, to make sure I could get myself in and out of bed, walk safely (used a walker post op for about 2 weeks) (this felt really embarassing) and although I felt like crap for a good week and a half, I had an uneventful recovery and did really well.

I have been able to exercise now, and started before my surgery at "Curves" -- where I now exercise 5 mornings a week before work. I have not used my cane in about 7 months; although walking is still painful and not my best activity ! Yes, I will still need knee replacements. Weight loss does not bring back lost cartilidge; but being over 100 pounds lighter really helps the pain !!!

I am more active than I have been in probably 20 years. I have more energy than I have had in at least 30 years. I am doing things I haven't done in 30 years -- horseback riding, exercising, SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT !

No, weight loss will not cure all the ills of getting older; but I have gotten back the ability to do so much. I lost weight fairly slowly....and I will never be thin.... just don't see that happening for me, but I lost 34 pounds pre op, and another 88 in the past year since surgery.

I am happy, healthy, and active. You can be too !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Eliza60
on 2/9/12 12:05 am
 thank you all for your support, i just a real "wus" when it comes surgery and pain....
cathkell
on 2/9/12 12:21 am - CO
 I was 66 when I had the vsg and I couldn't be happier with the procedure.  I have bone on bone hip and bone on bone knees, so I can't get as much exercise, I'm not supposed to put pressure on my knees.  It was a great surgery.  I have still lost quite a bit of weight, and have reduced blood pressure medicine and I can move a lot better.  Every thing was not perfect, but I would do it again if I had too.
Good Luck, I'm sure it will turn out great.
Zee Starrlite
on 2/9/12 1:10 am
Do all you can do (this includeds finding the best surgeon & docs for your needs, do your own researdch - were you truly "allergic to any components of the band? This should be your own personal research project) then let go and trust the universe.

Worry not, think prosperous thoughts.  Envision your surgery successful, your excess weight lost,  your health restored!

Blessings,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

judyk62
on 2/9/12 1:10 am - Santa Rosa, CA
Hi - Try not to be scared, although I was too. I just had my VSG on 11/28/11 at age 62. I did take almont 5 weeks off from work, but no serious pain or nausea or any real problems. There were a few days in that first week when I thought "what the hell have I done?", but that passed quickly. I too was concerned about being older. But the way I look at it is this - the older I get the more co-morbidities will develop. Prioir to surgery I was using a cpap and still am for now, I have one very arthritic knee which will eventually need to be replaced, but for now is feeling better already with 44 pounds lost. I had high blood pressure and was taken off that medication while still in the hospital. I have much more energy than before and certainly feel better about myself. I move more easily; not saying like a 35 year old, but way better. My weight loss is probably a little slower than someone younger due to an aging metabolism, but I'm losing and feeling better and healthier all the time. I was scared right up to the moment they put me out, but I am grateful today for the choice I made. I think you will be too.

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

anninva
on 2/9/12 1:18 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Hi!

I'm 52, so not one of the the young ones.  i think there are others on the vsg board who have had a similar experience with the band before coming to the sleeve.  i was also worried about being older, but didn't feel like it impacted my experience of surgery or recovery.  i also take a lot of medication and was able to take pills as soon as i got home.  i had to take them a couple at a time for a while, but in a very short time was able to take them as i always had.  big relief!

good luck! and keep us posted!  (((((((((hugs)))))))

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

FancyRoses
on 2/9/12 1:40 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
my friend who was one moth away from her 73rd birthday had the vsg on 1/10/11 and was up and at it in no time at all no pain no vomiting no nausea ,  I was with her and accompanied her through the whole trip and wow I was nausea as hell .  doctor said she was like a teenager and did very very well. 
My goals to a healthy me            
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views