Protein Coffee and other questions.....

Eliza60
on 2/24/12 11:09 pm
 Would someone please tell me what protein coffee is.  I have to have my coffee in the mornings and would love to get some of my protein in it.  I am about 2 wks out and just fixing to start on  soft diet and i see you can have things like tuna salad and chicken salad,  what do you all put in your salads?  i have always put Mayo, pickle relish, eggs, celery, onion?  I am not sure some of these items are a good idea for me now.  I am having trouble now with a horrible pain that runs up my neck and left shoulder if I swallow to big or sometimes when i take my meds i guess they get stuck somewhere and cause the pain.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Maybe I am just still swollen in there and the pills cant pass and pain moves up to there?  I am going to my doctor Monday and will ask but thought maybe some of you have experienced the same thing.  Sorry if Iam rambling
(deactivated member)
on 2/24/12 11:12 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4451010/Warm-protein-d rinks-ways-we-can-make-them-share-yours-please/

That is a link with a protein coffee how to video and other suggestions.

If you are 2 weeks out, it seems the celery and onions are not a good idea (i mean, they werent with the food progression I was given).

I used capers and mayo or greek yogurt.

Double sure call your doc about the pain, but it sounds like a nerve issue and maybe cut your pills in half if you can. 

Ramble on sistah!
(deactivated member)
on 2/24/12 11:19 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 05/04/12 with
Be careful heating protein powder, over 130 degrees and it loses it's good properties.
(deactivated member)
on 2/24/12 11:26 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
It will definitely congeal if put *directly* in something over 130 degrees, but this

*anectoctal evidence only, take it for what it is*

My coffee that I heat, when someone  asked, ends up being 170 degrees.  I put 1/3 cup of almond milk and house ambient warm coffee with my powder and make the slurry, then put it into the 170 degree 1.5 cups of coffee.  Doesnt curdle - and about losing properties, my labs show if I dont have at least 3 scoops of protein a day, my serum protein drops below low normal.  When I had my labs drawn after realizing I didnt care for cool protein all the time and having a double scoop in the morning coffee - it shows the same number as 3 scoops at different parts of the day in cool form.

So, you know, tis not a peer reviewed study, but its a ponder point!
Eliza60
on 2/24/12 11:30 pm
 what do you mean by ambient warm coffee?  
(deactivated member)
on 2/24/12 11:32 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Whatever the temperature of the room.  I make my coffee the night before, because if I put hot coffee in my cold ceramic cup, it gets cold too fast, if I heat hot coffee in my cold ceramic cup, it gets too hot.

So I make coffee the night before and its whatever temperature the room is. Ambient! 
happyteacher
on 2/24/12 11:28 pm
 Did you have a hernia repair by chance?  I had a hiatal hernia fixed during surgery, and the pain was similar to what you describe.  If you did, that takes a little longer to feel normal compared to the stomach surgery portion of the healing.  

I agree with the pills- grind them or cut them in half and see if that helps.  The first 4 weeks I used a pill crusher (unless it is a time released formula- ask your pharmicist) and mixed it in with applesauce or yogurt.  After the month, I now just take them normally.

I also want to concur with a previous post- it seems far too early for you to be messing around with raw vegetables.  I was not allowed that until after the 6 week mark, and then told to take it very slow. Your healing time is critical- baby that baby tummy of yours!  It is possible to cause a leak by what you eat right now, so follow your plan.  With that said, all plans are different so I am not sure what your doc said.

I just dump my protein powder in my cup, add coffee straight from the pot, and mix.  My pot must not be over 130 degrees.  I use a chocolate based powder and consequently do not need to use cream.  

Enjoy your new sleeve!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Eliza60
on 2/24/12 11:33 pm
 Yes i did have hernia repair surgery.  I sure hope that is the reason for the pain and it goes away soon.  I cant imagine eating meat if the pills or swallowing to big causes pain.  I cant even lay for along time on my back or it hurts....thanks for the info....
diane S.
on 2/25/12 2:54 am
call your doc about the pain and do cut pills in half

as for the mushy salads, i used to puree the tuna with a little fat free mayo and salt and pepper to start. makes it go down easier. do the same with chicken. i use pickles now at 2 years but would not at 2 weeks. soupy stuff is good. i used to grind up cooked chicken and put a coupleof spoons of it in chicken broth. goes down pretty well.  gl    diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Michelle F.
on 2/25/12 5:19 am
I buy WonderSlim Cappuccino or Raspberry Hot Chocolate protein, they come in a box of 7 packets, 12gms of protein and 60 calories, and I stir a packet in my black coffee every morning and again mid morning. It is the only protein I have found over the last 4 years that I actually love the taste. It doesn't clump and I don't need to add milk although you can if you want. Its a little expensive but worth it.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 406 views