chickened out

sidneystuart
on 4/2/12 2:55 pm
well, i should be 3 days post op, but i chickened out 2 weeks before, not sure what i was so afraid of, i seemed to have so many things that needed to be done but that is an excuse, now i regret it, did this happen to anyone else??
Jack_Fabulous
on 4/2/12 2:59 pm - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
We all get cold feet as we get closer to surgery.  It is normal to feel scared.  Don't beat yourself up.  If you still feel that surgery is the right decision for you then speak to your surgeon and reschedule. Also, start attending the WLS support groups.  That will help quite a bit. 

acbbrown
on 4/2/12 3:04 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I do believe that "being ready" for surgery is something that more people need to consider - you really need to be in a good place mentally and physically. If you have a lot of other distractions in your life, take care of those first so you can think about YOU for a while. 

This is irreversible - dont beat yourself up and regret it - you made the best choice for you at the time. Hopefully you can figure out what it was that made you back out and resolve those issues so you can proceed with confidence and re-schedule with your surgeon. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

doggz109
on 4/2/12 3:08 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I think everyone gets a bit of cold feet.....but I was doing this to save my life.  There was no going back.

If you were making excuses for it....then you probably were not ready for surgery.
sidneystuart
on 4/2/12 3:14 pm
i think you are right, i regret not doing it, but i am still aprehensive about it all.... and a certain guilt that i would have it done, no one around me is as fat as me....
goingforit1
on 4/2/12 4:17 pm
VSG on 02/04/12 with
I'm sorry for whatever made you get so nervous. For me I knew I was ready when I was willing to sacrifice ANYTHING to lose the weight. I'm so sick of being the biggest person in a room, feeling embarrased just to be SEEN, and always have food (or diets) on my mind.

getting my sleeve was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself. It's been so smooth and simple compared to the mind/scale/weight battles I've always had before. I think when you're ready you will know and you will be SO excited about your new life that you wouldn't DREAM of cancelling. Best wishes to you in your future and with whatever you decide!
Pooch2
on 4/2/12 4:24 pm
Yea I backed out 6 years ago from RnY and I paid a price, I moved up a hundred lbs to my all time high but I really feel the sleeve is a better procedure, for me, long term and my insurance only accepted it as of late last year.  Dont beat yourself up, you weren't ready and its better to back out, if your really not ready, you can get ready again, this stuff is hard work.   If this surgery is right for you, I hope you don't wait 6 years to get it figured out...   Counseling, and or maybe more education on the surgeries, I found it helpful to go to post surgery support groups and listen, to what life was like after surgery.....keep at it, meanwhile, I would suggest you log all your food everyday, nothing helped me lose weight pre surgery, better, then picking up that tool... Over eater anonymous, might be another option in the meantime....hey there all work, there's no easy way out, well I think WLS does help make it easier to be more successful, in the weight loss phase...(I am hoping for the mainteance phase as well) but I think there is a lot to say about picking up other tools before surgery because you still need them after surgery, WLS is not a cure for compulsive overeating, its only another tool...  hang in there....
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
teacher071
on 4/2/12 8:54 pm - TX
 You have to be ready for YOU. It is a huge, permanent change. I had my fearful moments, but I got where I just wanted it DONE. now I sit five weeks post op and down 35 lbs. wouldnt go back for anything.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.     
HW:331  SW: 319   CW: 262  GW: 170 (or less...we'll see)
C. Harvey
on 4/2/12 11:23 pm
VSG on 01/11/12
everyone gets scared and afraid...the night before i was more worried about making it through surgery than the actual surgery...i was so scared i'd never see my daughter or my family again. kept telling myself it was an elective surgery i didnt really need it (i have no underlying health problems besides PCOS i just wanted to lose weight before something did occur) but i went thro with it and it was the best decision i ever made. if you are scared that you cant do it or having your stomach cut on just isnt for you...there is always lapband and it is always reversible. so maybe give that a try. get into a support group, see a shrink...you need someone to talk to. but if you know that you need to have a wls to live a better life...then i hope you can go thro with it......it is hard but by far the best decision i have ever made.

felicity2u
on 4/3/12 1:21 am - LA
Like i tell everyone that asks me if they should get the surgery, you have to be ready, not me, not ya mama, not ya daddy or kids, just you! This whole thing is 90% mental and 10% everthing else. I can tell you how wonderful my sleeve is and how it saved my life and has let me do things that I have never done before in my entire life but until you are ready, you should not do it.  I hope that you take the time to think it through because it really has saved my life and can quite possilbly do the same for you!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views