Two questions for newly sleeved - vets feel free to weigh in

econtiff
on 5/1/12 12:42 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
 1) I feel like the protein shakes make my mouth feel filmy all day. I am drinking my required water and even trying to get as much in as possible. Does anyone else have this film?

2) I also feel like my day is now broken into like 3 hour segments. I wake up, feel good , do stuff for about 3 hours then I need to rest again. Rest and repeat. In those 3 hours, I'm eating and drinking as much as possible, doing chores or exercising, schoolwork etc. 

Anyway, not complaining, just wondering if this is how your days are going also? I am 1 week out. 

I am definitely finding it easier to drink my liquids and can handle more. Still no hunger. I think I might have been hungry for a minute last night but not a feeling that stays with me at all. 

Kevin H.
on 5/1/12 12:47 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 I was pretty tired for a few weeks after surgery too.  Took lots of naps.  Sleep is good for healing.  Rest up.

econtiff
on 5/1/12 3:23 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
 Good to know! I will!
Soon_to_be_skinny_S
tacie

on 5/1/12 1:05 am - MA
VSG on 04/17/12
I could have written the same post!

I was sleeved 2 wks ago today (wow - cant believe it's been two weeks! Seems like 2 months!). I have been up and to the kitchen to make my first shake twice already and just couldn't make myself do it yet. The last thing I want right now is that sweet, slimy shake lol. I used shakes on my pre op diet for the 4mo leading up to surgery and was fine. Post op, I'm just all "shaked out".

As far as the fatigue - same exact thing. I sleep like the dead at night and wake up feeling great. I walk around the house feeling great and making plans. By the time I take a shower and get dressed about lunchtime, I feel like I need to go down for a nap. I've actually made plans and canceled them because I wore myself out getting going. Then I'm up and around again till 4:30p when I want another nap.

SO happy I took the extra 3rd week off. I highly recommend it! I mean, I could be at work and I'd be okay, but I am happy I am home taking it easy, napping and taking on the struggle of introducing "soft foods" here on my couch in front of Judge Judy instead of at my busy job, swamped with work.

econtiff
on 5/1/12 3:26 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
 Good points. Glad I'm not the only one. I am going back to my part-time job tomorrow. I will only be working 10 hrs/week so I think I'll be fine. It's easy on me though because I am a social media manager. I am walking but I'm debating about waiting to really bump up my activity until the dreaded week 3 stall. So maybe it'll shock my body out of it sooner. What do you think?
gamom135
on 5/1/12 1:17 am - Middle GA, GA
I'm by no means a vet, but I am almost 5 months out.  These are my thoughts:  1)  The film in your mouth could be from ketosis.  My experience was that nothing felt quite right in my mouth for the first few weeks.  It could also be from the brand of protein that you are using.  2)  This got better for me the further out from surgery I got.  Once I starting eating real food, I really felt much better.  I felt almost completely "normal" about four weeks out.  If you are tired, your body may just be telling you that you need to rest.  It is still adjusting to the drastic reduction in calories this close to surgery.  Just my thoughts, hope this helps!
econtiff
on 5/1/12 3:26 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
 Thank you! Reassurance always helps. :)
Lina P.
on 5/1/12 1:45 am - Bolton, Canada

Filmy shakes. Yeah. I remember those. The best advice I could give you (since you NEED them for protein so early on out) is try different brands until you find the right one.
Some, I've found are thicker than others and everyone's taste buds are different. Pretty soon you'll be eating real protein and those shakes will be a thing of the past.

#2 ...Be good to yourself. Seriously. You've just recently had major surgery. It'll take some time for your body to bounce back from that. :)
Truthfully, it took me 5 months to start feeling a bit of energy. So, rest when you can and don't overdo it.

Kudos to you!

Height: 5 ft - Age: 42
Bougie size: 36 oversewn to 34  
 CW: 135 lbs
Happy in the 130's but... On to my second goal!

econtiff
on 5/1/12 3:29 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
 Thanks! 
rhearob
on 5/1/12 1:56 am - TN
 I never had the filmy thing with the protein shakes.  I made mine pretty thin though with jus****er.  I was also having a lot of dental work done at the same time - so was brushing and rinsing alot.

As for the being tired - Oh yeah, that is perfectly normal.  It only lasted a couple of weeks for me.  To be honest, I didn't even remember it until I read this post.  Like the soreness around the incisions it just pretty much fades out until you have to be reminded of it.

Before you know it, you will be moving around with more energy than you ever had before.  Keep that protein as high as you can to help with healing - I was doing 90g a day at 1 week out.  Keep up with walking, rest when you need to.  

Take care - you'll be doing c25k programs with us in no time!

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views