High Protein Forever??

TexasProud
on 5/16/12 11:05 pm - Frisco, TX
Just wondering why a lot of people on here eat up to 100 grams of protein? Why wouldn't 70 grams be enough? And they say "EAT THE PROTEIN FIRST". Is this forever? I understand that foods that are higher in protein are better for you, but must we forever eat high (80-100) protein? Thanks!

Mom4Jazz
on 5/16/12 11:12 pm
For the loss process, high protein works best. Most of the reason is to preserve your lean mass. If you get in plenty of protein, your body will work on digesting fat and preserve muscle. Medically 70 grams is probably enough for a woman for that purpose.

That said, I started upping my protein from 75 to 100 grams at about 5 months and my weight loss sped way up. That has been a common experience for many of us. So the very high protein is simply because many of us lose better that way.

As for the maintenance period, it's something you'll need to weigh in your mind. Typically, we fill up and stay full longer on protein foods while carb foods move quickly through the sleeve - we can eat more and are hungry again sooner. In addition, many of us (by no means all) find that eating carby foods triggers carb cravings (aka the carb monster). Therefore a higher protein diet keeps us more satisfied.

I have upped my carb target in maintenance to a little over double what it was when I was losing, but I'm careful the kinds of carbs I eat - not a lot of sugars or starches.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

TexasProud
on 5/16/12 11:22 pm - Frisco, TX
Thank you for your response. I have lost about 100 lbs in 6 months. It is starting to slow down, though. I focus so much on getting in my protein and making sure my carbs stay around 40, but I find myself not getting in many green veggies, which I feel like I need. I would have more room for veggies if I wasn't focused so much on getting so much protein. 

Mom4Jazz
on 5/16/12 11:37 pm
Can you add another protein meal/snack during the day to allow for some veggies at dinner?

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Cindy22706
on 5/16/12 11:58 pm - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
Thats an aweesome answer.

Crabadams72
on 5/17/12 12:19 am - Silver Spring, MD
Post op life is forever different because our systems have been altered.
If you google Weight loss surgery success rules there is a site with very helpful information. Living after weight loss surgery.

Low protein intake will throw you into malnutrition and damage your heart. It gets easier with time because you will have the ability to eat more. You will learn what veggies go down wit no restriction. I can eat spinach salad all day w grilled chicken. Keeping protein intake at a minimum of 60 grams also helps w keeping the weight off.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Crabadams72
on 5/17/12 12:23 am - Silver Spring, MD
Sorry my answer wast exactly related to your question. I do good to hit 70 grams a day. I don't see myself getting 100 unless I drink shakes.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

bunnymom
on 5/17/12 1:47 am, edited 5/17/12 1:47 am
My serum albumin levels are all normal, as are all my other labs. I tell you this because for the last 6 months I have only eaten about 50-60 grams protein per day. I do not drink shakes and am only able to eat about 50-60 grams protein per day, my stomach only holds that much. I still do under 30 carbs per day and eliminated all gluten on Dec 19th. I had high fasting blood sugars and eliminated whey protein drinks as they have an insulinogenic property to them--ie, they spike your blood glucose. It was imperative I lower my blood sugars and did not want the whey effect. Also, I just do not like them. I am different than anyone else on here, in that I eat less protein. But this is the way I am going to eat for the rest of my life and I feel great and my doctor says I am now in perfect health. I will stay wheat-free and low carb in maintenance, which is 1.6 pounds away. Also if you google protein requirements for women, they say around 47 grams per day is sufficient. (I know WLS women can need more though.) Everyone figures out what is right for them. If I find I am losing too much in maintenance, the one thing I will increase right away is the protein grams.
Bunnymom            
SuzanneR
on 5/17/12 1:49 am - Randolph, NJ
To lose and keep weight off it's high protein all the way. Ditto to what everyone said.
For me, personally I really stay away from refined carbs for the most part. I do have a ounce of dark chocolate a few times a week or a hard candy sometimes. These do not bother me, trigger me or have me thinking about more. But if I were eating rice, pasta or bread/cake/cookies that would be another story. I plan to stay away from them as long as possible if not forever one day at a time. The really good news is since surgery I don't think of them, crave them or want them .

Happy966
on 5/17/12 2:26 am

I just want to add my voice to the chorus of higher protein during weight loss (I don't know maintenance yet).  About a month ago I started upping my protein to 90+g and lowering my carbs, while keeping calories the same.  Weight loss really picked up.

I am one of those folks triggered by sugar, and refined carbs definitely don't do a thing for me, hunger-wise.  I hope I can eat this way for the rest of my life!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active