question about calories??

Ashley O.
on 5/31/12 4:13 am
Do you consume your calorie intake before/after exersize?

meaning... do you eat more, then burn it off.. or have your set amount of calories then burn some with exersize?

i'm eating 600-800 calories a day.. Exersizing about an hour a day... usually swimming or walking.. or playing soccer...  I'm really active during the summer..

So my question is should i be eating more? I'm not really losing right now.. if i am it's extremely slow..

any thoughts?

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

rhearob
on 5/31/12 4:18 am - TN
 I don't include calories "earned" by exercise in my meal plan.  I simply don't break 600 a day - regardless of how much I exercise.  The whole point of the exercise is to burn more than I eat. 

You might ask both your exeprcise physiologist and your nutritionist their advice.  There may be some hints in your food choices as opposed to how much you eat.  Also, are you measuring yourself, you could be losing inches but not pounds.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

acbbrown
on 5/31/12 4:20 am - Granada Hills, CA
Unless you are doing some kind of intense training, I don't think it matters when you eat vs when you exercise. It helps to eat before for energy purposes and it helps to have protein after for recovery, but I don't think it makes a significant difference for WL purposes. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Shagdoll
on 5/31/12 4:21 am
I also dont included calories earned by exercise. As long as I can keep my calories low and exercise with enough energy on 600-800 calories then I am good.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Krazydoglady
on 5/31/12 6:31 am, edited 5/31/12 6:32 am - FL
What do you weigh? What is your BMI?

While you have lots of fat to burn, you have lots of 'available' energy and eating 600-800 without adjusting for exercise works just dandy.  Your adipose tissue throws out plenty of leptin and the body ignores the calorie deficit you're because you have fat available to burn.

Once you get into the 'normal' range for BMI and you're pretty fit, you need to make some adjustments. I would discuss it with your nutritionist, but here's what my research shows. This applies to women, and ones that are within the 'normal' BMI range, 'fit" body fat range.

Healthy, active women need  20-25 kCal of 'available' energy for each kilogram of lean mass, minimum, to prevent serious and unfortunate hormonal things start happening.   When you are lean you don't have lots of leptin being released by your fat, your body stops ignoring that you are also in a calorie deficit when your calories go too low. The endocrine system goes into "She is lean and can't feed herself therefore we must prevent pregnancy because she can't physically support a baby" mode.  Ammenorhea and bone loss are two of the consequences. 

I have 101lbs of lean mass (or so). I actually calculated that incorrectly yesterday.  That translates to 46kg's suggesting my minimum before 'exercise' intake should be 914-1200 calories per day.  Assuming I burn an average of 250 calories a day working out plus some living,  I need a minimum1200-1450 calories per day.   

I stayed in the 600-800cal/day range throughout weightloss while regularly exercising including strength work.  When my BMI went below 24, my period stopped. Being 44,  my first thought was perimenopause but I didn't have any other symptoms. I also had some other things going on related to my autoimmune disease and iron.  After several doctors visits, I went into 'maintenance' mode.  I got my period  back when I was able to push my average calories above 1300 calories a day. I took 3 months -- long after the iron, etc, were resolved.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Could_It_Be
on 5/31/12 6:34 am, edited 5/30/12 6:35 pm
I asked about this the other day and got some great feedback

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4536802/Increasing-car dio-how-to-accommodate/#37585958

VSG on 6/22/11
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 97 views