sugar free sport drinks?

ace30927
on 6/20/12 12:54 am - MD
Hi there- to all the pros out there. I just got sleeved last Friday and am doing pretty well. I have a question though- Is it ok for us to have the sugar free sports drinks and cut them with water? I have a craving for the lime gatorade and i know I can get it with zero calories and didn't know if that was a no no or not. I am on the liquid diet and it seems like it wouldn't be a problem. But I thought I would ask the pros first?

Thanks
Amanda

Evymetalmommy
on 6/20/12 1:16 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
I would ask your nutritionist but mine told me that if I were to start to feel dehydrated to start sipping on sugar free sports drinks. 

I still occassionally have one but honestly I don't like them the way I used to.  Water is my obsession.
incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

ace30927
on 6/20/12 1:21 am - MD
I would agree about the water...I LOVE IT!  Thanks for your input I greatly apprecaite it.
rhearob
on 6/20/12 1:24 am - TN
 I did powerade zero after surgery for months, they were overall better than the gatorade variety on both cals and vitamins.  The only problem my NUT had was the sodium.  So I only use them now on days when I run and really sweat out stuff.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

moonglo82
on 6/20/12 1:27 am, edited 6/20/12 1:29 am
VSG on 03/29/12
If you're truly getting the sugar free ones, I wouldn't worry about diluting it with water.

From my observations, Gatorade doesn't make a sugar free drink... they make "low calorie," but that's not the same thing. Still a good amount of sugar in those G2's.

Powerade makes Powerade Zero, and those are sugar free. For the first two months, I lived off of those, Propel Zero, Sobe Lifewater Zero, and Vitamin Water Zero. If it says zero on the label and is not carbonated, it has worked for me, basically.

Powerade makes a lemon lime flavor in their Zero line... maybe give that a try?

Also, crystal light makes a line of "mock-tails" now, and one of them is a margarita flavor... maybe that would kick the lime craving?

If you do end up drinking the Gatorade, just make sure you account for the calories and any carbs(if you're tracking them).

Also, I agree with Rob about the sodium in the sports drinks, but right now you need to make sure you are hydrated, so a little sodium here or there isn't doing to hurt. Just make sure to keep an eye on it.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

BigDaddysLittleMomm
a

on 6/20/12 1:29 am - Bryan, TX
Love, love, LOVE the Crystal Light Mock-tails!  They are TO DIE for yummy and nearly quilt free!  Plus, drinking them while at work makes you feel naught, like you're gettig away with something!
Don't reward yourself with food - you're not a dog!    
ace30927
on 6/20/12 1:51 am - MD
Oh wow I didn't know they made a Mocktail. I think the powerade is a good suggestion- I am not really drinking that much broth so maybe that will help. I don't know what it is with this lime thing. I tried putting some lime juice in my water but that really was a wipeout.
BigDaddysLittleMomm
a

on 6/20/12 1:53 am - Bryan, TX
My favorite Mock-tail is the Mojito flavored - check that our b/c it's limey and minty and SO refreshing!
Don't reward yourself with food - you're not a dog!    
emdesq
on 6/20/12 2:31 am
I absolutely LIVE on Powerade Zero. I drink two a day, in addition to water and protein drinks.  I've discussed them with my surgeon and NUT and both of them have said it's fine.  Neither has expressed any concern about sodium. They have way less sodium than lots of other choices.

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200
acbbrown
on 6/20/12 2:43 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I drank G2, calories and sugr and all for 2-3 months after surgery and had no issues. It made me feel a lot better. Now I drink Powerade zero - too much of it :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views