for the PCOSers (yes, I've posted on that forum too)

sutherngrl94
on 6/20/12 4:22 am - Raleigh, NC
For the women with PCOS...

Have you found that your weight loss flutuates a lot or is slow?  If so, how slow?  How many carbs do you all average?  I'm stay around 40-50 a day but that may be off for me, not sure.  I'm fluctuating between 234 and 240 right now.  I'm getting about 4-5 cups of water a day (yes I know I need to up that) and am definitely getting my protein in.  I normally walk about 1-1.5 miles every other day during the week and use sea salt when I cook at home instead of the regular salt to season things and use only a pinch or less of it.

I'm curious as to how other PCOSers are working with their sleeve.

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 4:42 am - Tallahassee, FL
I hope you get a lot of response to your post.  My (23 year old) baby has had terrible struggles with weight since she was a toddler.  She was always obese even when trying her best to lose weight and eat right.  Now she is depressed and has given up and just eats whatever she wants.  I want to talk to her about the VSG, but I worry some having read your post as well as another poster on today who said she had only lost a small amount after surgery.

Good luck to you! 

No heaven will not ever Heaven be
Unless my cats are there to welcome me.
~Author Unknown

sutherngrl94
on 6/20/12 4:46 am - Raleigh, NC
Thanks!  Please don't misunderstand.  The weight I have already lost would never have been possible without surgery so I would do it again in a heartbeat just to be where I am now.  I feel better and can do things I couldn't do before.  Like with anything, I have good days and bad days but all in all I would never discourage anyone from doing this. 

Has she been diagnosed with PCOS?  I would at least guide her to this website and let her read some of the posts here and see if she makes her own decision. 

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 4:55 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thank you.  I'm so glad to get some perspective from others with PCOS.  I know that after I have my surgery (hope to be getting my date in the next 3 weeks), that my daughter will start looking at it seriously.

She has been diagnosed with PCOS.  I would do anything I can to help her.  Her life was difficult growing up obese.  People are cruel as we all know.  People acted like I just fed her a diet of twinkies and hohos.

When she is ready, I'll definitely be encouraging her to come to OH.

No heaven will not ever Heaven be
Unless my cats are there to welcome me.
~Author Unknown

Cyn9
on 6/20/12 7:34 am - CA
VSG on 02/21/12
 i have 3 kids im 45 this month, i have PCOS, when i hit a plateo  i started choruim pilcoinate (sp)  it helps your body motablize the sugars (carbs), and im not on metphormine since the sleeve.   now when i told my daughter in december that i could be looking at my surgery being secuduled in january,  my daughter (21) was off to the bearitic dr office and the day i had my sleeve, her surgery was secudled 3 weeks later,  she is doing great, after her first baby her periods didnt come normal anymore, and she couldnt get pregnant,  now she has lost over 60lbs and in size 16 n getting smaller everyday.
i had my 3 mo nutrition class today (im 4 months out)  nutritionist told me I look fine and i should start maintaining. Im size six pant.    well im not sure how i feel about that im not trying to loose wt  im just trying to eat healthy.

tripmom02
on 6/20/12 5:51 am - NJ
 I have severe PCOS and IR (they have been talking about removing my ovaries since I was about 22 b/c of the damage that has been done to them b/c of the scaring and constant growth of very large cysts), I did need metaformin at the start of my journey to really get the weight coming off, but once I hit about 50 lbs lost I was able to come off the meds and the weight kept coming off without it. 

I have lost almost 170 lbs, about 80 over the course of 3 years with my lap band (but had a baby and nursed for almost two years during that time) and the rest has come off in less then a year since I had my VSG. It is totally possible for us PCOSers to lose the weight and do it fairly quickly. 

My PCOS is now completely under control, I get a period every month and I have not had a cyst large enough to bother me in the last year. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Could_It_Be
on 6/20/12 4:51 am
 I've got PCOS and have not noticed any difference from the norm here-

I'm almost in  Maintenance  and am almost 1 year out (Friday!)

I eat less than 50-60 g carbs a day , less than 900 cals and 75+g protein. I burn at least 400 cals 3-4 times a week with exercise (this is just in the last month or so, before that I really didn't exercise too terrible much).

My losses were very steady for the first 8-9 months, I never even gained a pound during the process. From about 9 months on (within 15 of my goal weight- 150) my losses have slowed significantly, which is fine cause I figure this is just my body's way of ending the losing phase. 

I'd like to see a smaller number on the scale- maybe 145 but honestly, I think I'm looking too thin so am fine to stay here.

All that said, I think there is not much use in worrying about how the PCOS will affect you and your losses- you have it so there is no other option than to just stick to the plan and use the sleeve to get to your goal!

YOU CAN SO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VSG on 6/22/11
sutherngrl94
on 6/20/12 4:55 am - Raleigh, NC
AWESOME!!!  Congratulations on almost being in maintenance!  What a great goal to reach.

Very true about the worrying.  I obviously can't change it so there really is no use in worrying about it. 

Thanks for the positive post!!

Could_It_Be
on 6/20/12 5:45 am
 You are going to look back in a few months and be AMAZED at what you have accomplished!

:)

VSG on 6/22/11
HelloKatarina
on 6/20/12 4:53 am - SC
VSG on 01/27/12
Hello!

I've was diagnosed with PCOS in 2002. I was so worried that if I got VSG that I would be a slow loser. But I'm SO thankful I'm not! I think I'm doing pretty well with my weightloss. I went into surgery weighing exactly 298 and am now 224. So 74 pounds lost since January 27th 2012.

I eat about 600-800 calories/day. And try to stay around 40 carbs/day. I get my required 60g of protein in everyday. Sometimes I have to drink a shake to get to that 60 but i do get there. I drink at least 96oz of water/day. I drink even more water when I workout. I workout 5 days/week.  And when I do, I'm on the eliptical for 30 minutes, do my WII fit for 30 minutes and some weights for arms and legs for about 20 minutes. Along with 100 crunches. And yes, I'm absolutly exauhsted by the time i'm done with all that!!!

I'm hoping my weightloss will continue going as well as it has. But I know that my weightloss is ALL up to me. 

Some days I do bounce back and forth within 2 to 4 pounds. And I also gain about 4 to 5 during my period. So as long as i stick to my plan it eventually gets back to normal....lol.

Much luck to you! 

We are, all of us, stars and we all deserve to twinkle. ~Marilyn Monroe

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views