Triggeriness and cravings...

Happy966
on 6/28/12 3:28 am

I went to a Mongolian grill with my sister and nephews today for lunch.  It was a super good place to go, I picked out very appropriate portions and they brought lettuce to wrap my cooked food in.

I made up a mixture of some sauces and one was very sweet.  So my meal was very sweet.  I would say, "sweeter than I like" but the truth is more like "the sweeter the better." 

The problem was how *not satisfied* I felt at the end of my meal, and all the major chatter that started going on in my head.  You could stop at Walgreens and get a protein bar.  Or nuts.  Or sugar-free candy.  Yikes!  I'm telling you folks, that voice was LOUD.  I cam back to the office and told myself I couldn't go anywhere for an hour.  I could think about it then.

Well, after just sitting here and accepting the cravings that were washing over me, they did actually start to subside and 15 minutes later I realize I had not been quite in my right mind.  

The cravings really diminished after surgery, but they didn't go away entirely.  And I know I'm having more now than I did early on.  When I'm in the middle of a really strong craving, I feel like I'll somehow *die* if I don't give in.  It's hard to believe it will pass.  So right now I'm just feeling very grateful I didn't act on my feelings.  They're just data, right?  They're not the deciders!  I can't run my life like feelings are the deciders!  Oh wait, I *can* but then it's a horrible mess!!

I know you guys know this, I'm just struck by how my brain can just keep going down the same, worn grooves, and how *understanding* that doesn't make it go away.  Argh!  Glad I made it through that, today!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

acbbrown
on 6/28/12 3:37 am - Granada Hills, CA

Way to go :)

I'm fighting a donut devil day but I can't get away from the office and away from the donuts so it's hard. It's tiring to have to constantly make the right decision. But it's worth it.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Happy966
on 6/28/12 4:20 am

Really, who needs donuts??  There is no redeeming value in most donuts!!  Normies don't need them either!

They're probably stale now, anyway!  Trash bin material!

I confess - I have thrown donuts in the trash at work!  Yes, it was me!

Carmel-iced, creme-filled donuts were No. 2 behind peanut butter fudge in my pantheon of favorite binge foods.  Never was a chocolate-craving kind of gal!

acbbrown
on 6/28/12 4:42 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I don't even particularly like them but it's like...at this point...I just want to eat anything that's not protein. And if it's sugary and fatty - even better. But I could definitely find a better use for those calories. Just part of the compulsive eating issues though. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

happymom80
on 6/28/12 5:24 am - MO
VSG on 03/05/12
 I hear ya! I still don't like the sugary/fatty stuff as much as I did before surgery...but I know it is only because I haven't had much of it since surgery. It could change lightening fast if I give in and go to them. Oh, but I hear and feel you on this one!

HW: 350+ (I didn't look after that)  SW: 328  

nanarama
on 6/28/12 6:48 am - PA
VSG on 07/09/12
that DOES have to be so difficult when it's right in the office.  Luckily I'm not self-employed.  So that's at least one place where I don't have to fight it .......... but God knows there are sooooooo many others!!!   Good strength!
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/12 3:50 am
Yay! Good for you! I, too, have had to get back on top of a few cravings since coming back from So Cal. I slipped with a cookie and that set off cravings. I've reset already, but it ain't easy.

So good for you for not succumbing!

I wonder if you'd do better with a savory, spicy sauce rather than one of the sweet ones? Sucks that you are so sugar sensitive. You have to more careful than most it seems. Pooh!
Happy966
on 6/28/12 4:02 am

Oh yes, savory is much better, craving-wise. 

There is this saying in OA I talk about a lot, "Accept we may repeatedly have cravings to eat compulsively, but experience has shown us that those feelings will pass."  I had a sponsor who always added "if we don't act on them."  Acting on those cravings makes them worse, but only my "head" has learned that.  The monkey still seems to think a pound of peanut butter fudge would be a perfectly acceptable way to top off lunch! 

Anyway, it *always* brings me up short when the cravings happen - isn't that crazy?  Like they don't happen for a few days and I think I'm immune all of a sudden!!  It's good to post about it to help me remember that this is how my mind works, and to share with others that while I am doing well, it doesn't mean I don't still have to contend with those same head games and crazing monkey chatter.

Hugs to you, friend!!

anninva
on 6/28/12 4:40 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
"Accept we may repeatedly have cravings to eat compulsively, but experience has shown us that those feelings will pass."  I had a sponsor who always added "if we don't act on them."

gotta keep this in my mind or print it on a big piece of paper.  it's so much easier to "fool" myself now.  in fact, i've been eating bits of chocolate all week.  and anything sweet makes me want more . . .   i liked your description of letting the craving wash over you and watching it subside.  i feel *****ly about OA (may pm you so we can discuss more) but this is truly a helpful statement of acceptance:  to change the things i can!

take good care, my friend.  sending you big ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Happy966
on 6/28/12 5:25 am

Yes, "*****ly" pretty much sums it up for me.  Or "love-hate."

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain