6 days post op...hmmmm

jayla_love
on 7/22/12 4:08 am - CA
VSG on 07/16/12
Had my surgery Monday, came home wed.. been sore and tired and still on pain meds in mornings and afternoons after I eat and walk... my belly is pulling on my stitches and the gas/bloating really starts to hurt.  I still have to sleep on my back which is causing some neck issues as well.  Still only able to consume small amounts of broth/creamy soup and water.. probably not getting enough hydration even though I sip water pretty much from the moment I wake up.. this is a little harder than I thought it would be after reading other sleevers recovery stories.. maybe I am just a big baby..

I am not looking forward to returning to work on tuesday.. kinda wish I had a few more days.. but then I would probably want a few more after that..lol.. the life of leisure is for me.  Oh well, time to really suck it up and start getting back into my daily routine (with a few moderations now)

How is/was everyone else doing at about a week out??
Pobearsam7
on 7/22/12 4:12 am
Take it easy going back to work after surgery... I'm almost 4 weeks out and I'm always tired and ready for a nap... I will drift in to work sometime in week 5 next month... Sleeping was the worst I can now sleep on my side w/ a pillow

Kelly                

moonglo82
on 7/22/12 4:18 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I felt about the same as you at that time... I think it was around day 6 or 7 that I started really feeling better.

Are you trying to go on longer walks, or are you walking in short spurts? That early out, I did much better with walking for 10-15 minutes at a time, even if it was just in circles in my home to get my body moving a little, than I did with a 30 minute walk. Be careful about pushing yourself too hard this early out. If something is hurting you, take it down a notch. You don't want your recovery to take longer because you are doing too much.

I know what you mean about being confused when you compare your recovery to others... my husband was sleeved about a year and four months before me, and his recovery was a walk in the park. He had no trouble getting his liquids or his protein in, had very little pain, and seemed eager to get back to work in 6 days. Me? Mine was more like yours.

What worked for me for the sleeping thing was piling pillows under one side so that I could put my weight on them, but still felt like I was somewhat on my other side, so I wasn't completely on my back. Or I put them all in a wedge shape and slept in more of a reclining position, with my head slightly elevated.

You're going to feel better soon. Just keep pushing the liquids.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

considering2012
on 7/22/12 4:27 am
Wow. You are going back to work really quickly. Under the cir****tances, I'd be so miserable at work, they'd send me back home.
itzmetinab
on 7/22/12 12:12 pm - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 I also had my VSG on Monday.  I'm struggling a little too.  I thought it would be easier!   I start to get a lot of anxiety when it's time for the third "meal" of the day.  I'm sipping plenty of water without trouble.  Mostly I'm walking around the house....I was outside a little today, but it was so hot.  I have taken Gas X a couple of times each day that I've been home.  That seems to help.  I also have the one area of the lower left stomach that hurts / pulls, especially when I bend or twist.  I also hate sleeping on my back.  I've piled a bunch of pillows and am basically sleeping in a reclined position...can't wait to get on my side!!!  I can't believe you're going back to work so soon!  I have a freind that said she was ready to go back at one week.  I have three weeks off and I'm already wondering if I'lll be ready then!  Hoping for BIG changes / improvements in the next few days...for both of us!!!  Good luck!  Hang in there!

Highest weight:  294  Surgery Weight:  281  Goal weight:  150
M1 - 20.6 M2 - 16.6 M3 - 17 M4 - 11 M5 -10.2

diane S.
on 7/22/12 12:14 pm
Everybody recovers at a different rate. I was pretty lucky and bounced back fast, but my husband took a little longer.

Get as much fluid as you can and whatever protein your doctor prescribes. Don't overdo it at work. You may be tired for awhile from anesthetic as well as surgery so now is the time to call on friends, family and co workers for help if you need it.

But as the weight comes off you will be so glad.  Read my blog page for my story and read the pages of others.

GL with your recovery. You will get there.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

newgirl78
on 7/23/12 5:13 am
I am 5 days post op from vertical sleeve. I'm a little sore, mostly on my incisions spots but they are healing well. I have been tired and dizzy as well. Sweating at night pretty bad the past two nights but i know this is all the process. On the upper hand I am able to sit and then do dishes, then stand for about 8 minutes w/o the dizzyness. I have been doing some streches and trying to engage my core (Yoga tree pose, 3 minutes on each leg.)
I was happy that I made a complete BM on day 4. I am able to take stairs with observation to help prevent falling. I am happy that I did my hair, I can shower twice a day now ( that always makes me feel better). My kids think im 100% but I remind that i'm not. at PO day 2-3 I didnt even want to hear the phone ring or watch a movie. My goal today was to be as active as possible w/o lying down or sleeping too much. I am taking extremely small baby steps. When I dont feel up to it I rest.

Eating:

between my liquid and crushed meds I think im pretty full all
day, so when it's time to have my protein Im really doing about 2 to 3 oz at a time. The craziest thing is living without a bra.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 161 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 434 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views