Soft food diet?

Lauren Vento
on 9/18/12 12:24 pm, edited 9/18/12 12:29 pm - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12
 So my doctor has me on a soft food diet, (I know its sooner than some, but he said it all depends on how your surgeon does the surgery, and he said soft foods are fine).

So what did you all eat on your soft food diet?

I'm worried about finding enough variety of soft protein.

I make my own "refried" beans in the crockpot, scrambled eggs, and of course my protein shakes, but I am lactose intolerant and cannot have cheese.  I've heard tuna with light mayo is good, so I will try that.  

And what about mixing protein powder into things like oatmeal or mashed potatoes?  Is that going to be too many carbs?  Everyone has me terrified of any type of carb or starch...
mimij
on 9/18/12 12:29 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12
Ask your dietitian to provide a list and suggestions. My doctor's office provided that info in the nutrition class.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Lauren Vento
on 9/18/12 12:31 pm - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12
 I don't have a dietician, and my class was a joke.  I have realized since having the surgery that all i've been taught is how to eat a balanced meal, but now all I am hearing is "NOTHING BUT PROTEIN."  I am looking for suggestions on what other soft proteins there are that dont contain any dairy, because my list is maily cheeses and yogurt.
mimij
on 9/18/12 12:41 pm, edited 9/18/12 5:43 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12
On September 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM Pacific Time, LaurenAEV wrote: I don't have a dietician, and my class was a joke. I have realized since having the surgery that all i've been taught is how to eat a balanced meal, but now all I am hearing is "NOTHING BUT PROTEIN." I am looking for suggestions on what other soft proteins there are that dont contain any dairy, because my list is maily cheeses and yogurt.sorry you didn't have a good class. I haven't had surgery yet so I am not well versed for that phase. I will look in my notebook and let you know when I find examples.
I know you can eat baby foods and things of that consistency. Chew 3-40 times is what I was told. So if you eat chicken or fish, take a small bite and chew to death.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Father Don
on 9/18/12 12:33 pm - Charleston, SC
soft food as in mushies?  or as in real food as long as it's soft in texture?  if it's mushies, I'd avoid tuna fish.....

Besides, the best rule of thumb for a noob....take a bite as big as your little finger, and chew 30 times!  If you swallow before you count to 30, you took too big a bite....

and trust me - chewing tuna 30 times - you will toss it away after the first bite!

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Teresa J.
on 9/18/12 1:03 pm - McKinney, TX
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I made oatmeal for the first time this week because I was scared of the carbs but I was sick to death of the protein shakes for breakfast.  I love steel cut oats which are higher in protein than old fashion oats.  I made one serving and divided it up into sleeve portions and it made three 2oz servings.  I added one packet of zero calorie sweetner, 1 T of butter and 1/2 a scoop of GNC unflavored protein powder.

Here is the breakdown for 2oz. :  108 cal, 6 protein, 10 carbs, 5 fat, 2 fiber
Not a lot of protein but it holds me over till lunch time.

Last night I made the Ricotta Bake from www.worldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com

This is approved for soft food stage.  My 10 year old said it tasted amazing.  We decided next time to add some ground italian turkey sausage and it would taste just like a noodleless lasagna.

Teresa

lisa2job
on 9/18/12 1:08 pm - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
I was told anything "soft in texture"  my Dr suggested crock potting meats.  I also heard from others on this site and my sister  to try,  beans all varieties,  eggs, corned beef hash, tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad, canned stew meat, potty meat, delvied chicken, delvied ham, meat that has been crock potted or cooked with a pressure cooker to make extra soft.  also Swai and Talapia.  canned chili and chunky soups the mini hotdog things in a jar ( the kind you feed babys )  

I start mine in two days and kinda nervous also,   My taste has totaly changed so I am unsure of what to start with....  probably eggs  if my stomach can handle it .   I am not gonna worry too much about carbs we are only gonna be eating a couple of tablespoons to begin with ,  so mashed potatoes with protien poweder may have to work when I get bored of just meat. ...  my sister has been on this stage for 2 weeks and she has tried alot of the above.
let me know if you run across somehting that is super yummy .....

mimij
on 9/18/12 2:22 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Here is the list my doctor gave...Thinned oatmeal, cream of wheat, use almond or soy milk if avoiding dairy.
Sugar free gelatin, baby food fruit, unsweet pureed fruit and applesauce, very soft scrambled egg, pureed chicken, ricotta or small curd cottage cheese, pureed mashed soft tofu, fat free black or pinto beans. Blended soups, baby food veggies, mashed potatos or sweet potatos

itzmetinab
on 9/18/12 4:54 pm - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 My main staple was rotisserie chicken.  It was really tender and I tolerated it well.

Highest weight:  294  Surgery Weight:  281  Goal weight:  150
M1 - 20.6 M2 - 16.6 M3 - 17 M4 - 11 M5 -10.2

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 138 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 404 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 433 views