Maintenance Carb Question for Vets

econtiff
on 11/3/12 2:59 pm - FL
VSG on 04/24/12

Hey everyone,

I had a weird experience for the first time since I've started this process. Yesterday I got what felt like low blood sugar. It was odd. You all know I'm doing less than 30 g/ carbs per day.

What I'm wondering is if as I'm getting smaller ( I weigh 154 ) if there's less stores to burn so I might need to up my carbs a bit?

I'm also wondering if everyone continues super low carb during maintenance or are you choosing healthy carbs like fruits and some starchy veggies?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks~

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/12 3:22 pm

Hi,

Really, just had your first weird experience!? Really????

Okay, kidding aside, I can't speak to your low blood sugar issue (though I had a few light headed moments during WL. Doc said that could happen, was most likely a sign that it was time to eat and not to worry as long as they didn't get worse...).

As for the carbs, once I was in maintenance I was told to add healthy low carb fruits, more dairy and a few starchy veggies. Me, I wanted a number so it was recommended I try between 80 and 100 carbs per day. Took me a while to get there, but now I hang out around just that each day. Still considered pretty low carb in most circles.

econtiff
on 11/4/12 12:31 pm - FL
VSG on 04/24/12

Bwahaha.... you are so right about the weird experiences!!

frisco
on 11/3/12 3:34 pm

In maintenance.......

Through some trials....... For a baseline.....I ended up with a calorie range from about 1200 (no activity) to about 1500 (med activity)

Plus or minus 80carbs.

Might be good time to get a lab panel done.....

Fluids???

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/3/12 4:35 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Do you have a glucometer? That is the only sure way to see if its really low blood sugar or something else. I would recommend buying one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jackie00
on 11/3/12 7:48 pm
What should your blood sugar be?
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

happyteacher
on 11/4/12 3:17 am

A normal range for blood sugar is approximately 80-120 mg/dL.  Under 60 is considered low, and I usually struggle to stay conscience around 30.  I normally don't feel "low" though until I am in the low 40's.  If I do 40 carbs a day I have issues with low blood sugar- or at least i did.  It has been quite a while since I went low now.  Not sure if that is because hypoglycemia issues have improved, or just because I eat carbs.  I normally alternate 15 or 30 net carbs at meals and that works well, with a daily average of about 100 net carbs when I am behaving.  I have not been behaving lately.  In the weight loss phase I had no trouble making it to goal as long as my calories were kept at or below 1200, managed the carbs as outlined above, and exercised 6 days a week.  Just be careful- it is indeed easy to get sucked onto a carb craving cycle.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

debk21
on 11/3/12 9:20 pm - Mansfield, TX

I also stay in the 80-100 range daily with a calorie range of 1200-1500. This includes fruits, veggies and dairy. No starch, bread, rice, pasta or baked goods. I have the occasional treat, but eat "clean" 95% of the time. Hopefully this was an anomaly. If not, you may want to ask your doc about it and consider his suggestion.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

wls2011
on 11/3/12 10:48 pm - Ballston Lake, NY

I've been having occasional weird reactions for awhile now.......but it was not low blood sugar....because I just ate or drank something when it happens....I think it is called reactive hypoglecemia.....feels just like low blood sugar though...light headed, dizzy, nauseous, etc....I have to lie down when it happens...it passes in about 30 minutes....my surgeon says that it does happen to some people post op and even people that haven't had WLS sometimes have it.

I've had it when having carb based drink like coffee w/ cream or when having my protein shake....when eating different things too, so it is not a carb thing.

So if you haven't eaten for more than 3 hours, it could be low blood sugar and you just need to eat something right away, not necessarily carbs, just food.

But if it is happening, shortly after eating/drinking, it may be reactive and not much you can do about it, except wait till it passes.

I'm not low carb at all, but 30 grams or less, is very low by any standard...and may not be great for you regardless of your body weight...... if you are doing exercise or are very active....I know I can't function on that low level, I get very spacey and lethargic.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Krazydoglady
on 11/4/12 12:28 am - FL

How much more do you want to lose? I would keep my carbs under 40 until you get to goal.  In maintenance, it's going to depend on how many calories you're eating a day.  To maintain, I need 1800 calories a day and 100-120g carb a day.  You may need more/less depending on your activity level/metabolism.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active