Post op questions

sleeplessteacher
on 12/30/12 9:09 am - MI
VSG on 12/26/12

My sugars are routinely high and do not seem to be coming down.  They were horrible in the hospital until an endo made them give me some scary high doses of insulin, much more than I ever took before.

I am taking almost as much now as I was pre-op when I was still eating junk.  I am type one, but was told to expect that the numbers would drop.

I am also light headed whenever I climb stairs or stand up too quickly. 

I am doing fair with protein and liquids, running a little below the doctor's recommendation of 40 grams and 40 ounces. 

Also, when did your energy return?  I was sleeved on 12/26.  Usually, I am pretty hardy and do not slow down with medical issues.  This is not what I was hoping for.  I was walking in the hospital for over an hour the day of surgery to "wake up" my bladder but felt worse day 2 when they released me.  I am not in pain per se, just wiped out.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SW: 252 CW: 170  GW:160

bigred_z
on 12/30/12 9:13 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Get in your protein and fluids first, you will note a difference,  Dehydration will wipe anyone out. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

SuzyNZ
on 12/30/12 9:51 am
VSG on 09/17/12
It will be a while yet. I felt really tired until about 6 weeks. I was going to bed at about 7pm yet. I had a great recovery with no pain, it I was just dead tired after work each day.

I had times of light headed dizziness too (and still do every now and again), especially after days that I hadn't eaten enough.

But I promise it does get better. Just keep doing what you are doing and try to get as much fluid in as you can. That is your biggest priority at the moment

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

dmhe
on 12/30/12 9:54 am - TX
My blood sugar was high right after surgery, it got better, I still needed a nap about 2 weeks out, the energy really improved at 4 weeks out. Once you go to full liquids, I mixed my shakes with unsweetened almond milk and my sugars were way better than with skim milk. Hang in there, it gets better. I had some buyers remorse the first couple of weeks, now 5 months later and almost 80lbs lighter, it was worth it!

jg1988
on 12/30/12 9:56 am

Sounds to me like you need to up your liquids to 64 ounces.  I had some of your symptoms but became dehydrated.  

Machelle.K
on 12/30/12 11:56 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I too have been tired and I remind myself that we've all had major surgery, we don't eat much and our body is trying to figure this out right? So hang in there it does get better, but if my body says I'm tired I listen to it.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Sleeveless
on 12/30/12 3:27 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

I am type 2 and have never taken insulin, but post-op, my sugars soared and I got two insulin injections in the hospital. So, I think the stress of the surgery does this to us. My sugars got a lot better later that week.

Also, I agree that you probably need to work your way up steadily to 64 ounces of liquid per day. When I was under that amount near the beginning, I got very wiped out and nauseous and depressed.

I also had the light headed, dizzy feeling whenever I stood up. I took myself off blood pressure medicine, since I know that's how I feel when my BP drops low, and now I feel much better.

Of course, do speak to your doctor before adjusting anything he/she recommended.

Good luck! It does get better!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views