Excess skin

msmetha
on 2/14/13 9:28 pm - MO
Is it possible to not need plastics after surgery?? Everyone keeps telling me that I am gonna have all this extra skin and I am horrified. I am wondering if I exercise regularly, will I have a lot of excess skin?? Anybody not have a problem with this?
MomofMarch
on 2/14/13 9:34 pm - GA

It all really depends on genetics. Toning up is a great aide to it, but no guarantee. I'm not THAT far out, but I'm already making plans to put money aside for plastics. My body didn't do too well with my pregnancies (sagging skin, stretchmarks, etc), so I'm just going to be prepared.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

frisco
on 2/14/13 9:44 pm

For most of us.... skin is not very forgiving......you just gotta see how it all works out.

The truth is..... we shoulda been thinking about skin issues when we were packing on the pounds and stretching our skin out...... would it have made a difference????

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

msmetha
on 2/14/13 10:03 pm - MO
That is so true!!
Crabadams72
on 2/15/13 1:22 am - Silver Spring, MD
We really can't tell you that.

You can click my name and look at my pics. I lost 127 from my highest known weight. I don't "need" surgery but there are some things I "want"---boobs!

It depends on how long you were over weight, genetics and luck. Stay on top of protein and water and save for plastics just in case.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

rhearob
on 2/15/13 1:26 am - TN

The problem with skin is, in most cases, it doesn't snap back.  There are these little curled, interwoven fibers in your skin called elastin.  Ever bite into silverskin on an improperly cleaned tenderloin?  Thats it.  When we stretch our skin beyond a certain point those fibers become broken apart and uncurled.  Once that happens they don't come back together very much.  Think of rubber bands that are stretched out and worn.

There are a lot of factors at play - how long were you obese, how stretched was the skin, general skin condition, genetics.

Truth is 99% of us are going to need plastics.  How much depends on all of the above. I am a 6'2 man who lost half his body weight.  In my first round of plastics they took 7.4 lbs of skin.  I'm going back in a month for another round on my upper torso.  I work out every day or every other day.  I do my cardio and strength training.  I take 10000 mcg of Biotin every day.  I lather lotion on like its my hope of salvation.  Nothing was going to stop me from needing plastics.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

LNC62
on 2/15/13 2:23 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

Will you have excess skin? Yep

Will you "need" plastic surgery?  No, you won't need it unless the skin folds cause rashes or infections.  Or, if you don't like how the excess skin looks and it bothers you to the point that you want to have plastics to get rid of it.  When I lost 120 lbs about 8 years ago, it was the first time I was at a normal weight but the hanging skin on my belly still looked like a roll of fat.  I went to a plastic sx for liposuction because it protruded so much.  He told me it was all skin.  I didn't pursue sx then because it was too expensive.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 292 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views