Would you do it again if you had the option to go back?

wags1104
on 3/27/13 12:38 pm

I'm considering Lap-Band vs. Gastric Sleeve. I'm just interested in Yes or No. Would you do it again if you could go back?

I want the Sleeve, but DH is getting me scared about such a major surgery, possibility of leakage, and if I die and leave my 3 daughters without a mother.

mornings
on 3/27/13 2:15 pm - Canada

i had the sleeve would do it all over again in a heart beat as well  im only a month out ,     i understand your fear so my advice is talk to your Dr  getting the sleeve is really  only a 20 min surgery  its not bad at all  but  dont pu**** aside till you  do  alittle homework and see that its really not  that scary    good luck on what you choose im sure you will do great

mai7amad
on 3/27/13 2:21 pm - United Arab Emirates

HELL YES

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/27/13 2:22 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
If I had to to through it annually to maintain what I've lost and never lost another pound I'd do it. I'm not done, but even what I've lost so far has been totally worth it.

OTOH - if my only choice was a band - I'd need a LOT of convincing.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

wags1104
on 3/27/13 9:19 pm

That's EXACTLY what I needed (and wanted) to hear.

I asked the same question to the LAP-Band group, and most said no. They would NEVER get the band again! Decision made!

Thanks, ya'll!!

Happy Gurl
on 3/28/13 3:36 am
VSG on 10/26/12

I've done both - no to the lapband, yes to the sleeve:)  Not just because of weight loss, but comfort while eating, no slimming, throwing up, yet much less hunger.

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

mycheeka1
on 3/27/13 2:29 pm
I am 6 months out and have lost 98 pounds. It is the best thing ever! I was scared to get the surgery because of its permanence, but it has been great. Not 1 problem and nothing that my tummy doesn't tolerate. Never hungry. I have several friends that have gotten lap band and haven't had great success. 1 had to get it removed due to erosion. All of these procedures are a tool though and as long as u use your tool right, u will get results. I am only sad that I didn't do soonèr. Sorry, but I am biased for sleeve as u can see. U have to decide what is right for u though. U and only u, because u r the one living your new life, make sure it's a life u can live with.
Calking
on 3/27/13 2:47 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Short answer is yes absolutely and unequivocally yes.

Long answer as posted in other post ...

First of all with the crap band you restrict the top part of your stomach however your stomach is still the same size and able to hold the same amount of food.  With the VSG your restriction is that your stomach is made smaller.  The restriction isn't on the entry but on the actual stomach in it's entirety.  Not to mention that the portion of your stomach that is removed during the VSG is responsible for producing the hunger hormone called grehlin.  With this gone your body doesn't produce but a much smaller amount of this hormone that causes hunger.  So not only does it take less to fill you up but that little amount keeps you full for a lot longer.  

There is no way to compare the crap band to the VSG.  The VSG is far superior to the point that several bariatric surgeons actually have abandoned and refuse to do the crap bands any longer.  

The VSG surgery quite literally saved my life.  Not to mention I am in a very odd position where I have been so successful that the last 4 months I have actually been trying to gain back 10 pounds and in that process only succeeded in loosing another 4.  Yes I realize that I could go out and eat a bag of cookies every day and gain the weight but when you actually try to gain the weight while still eating a very healthy diet it is really tough.  Heck I even eat a bit over 2 tbsp peanut butter each and every day for the 4 months on top of a bowl of oatmeal or mixed into my protein shakes.  Beyond the peanut butter I eat about 22 almonds each day as well as a snack.  As it turns out apparently these healthy nut fats are working to actually keep me healthy ... go figure.  I am getting about 1700 calories a day with at least 80 g (most often closer to 100 g) protein, with a bit over 100 net carbs and 8 glasses of water (flavored in some way) per day.  Even doing that for 4 months I am still loosing ... although such a small amount that I actually would say that I found my maintenance numbers.  

So yes in my mind there is no decision to be made.  There is only one real choice.  VSG all the way.  Worst case scenario is that this could be revised to a RNY if really needed although I have never seen anyone in this forum that has needed to do that.  I have however seen many people start to fail with the VSG and then get back on track by doing a "reset" and then start to be successful once again.  You can get off track with the VSG if you don't follow the plan but it isn't something that can't be corrected by getting back on plan and recording each and every sip and bite each and every day on My Fitness Pal www.myfitnesspal.com or some such site.  

I am 10 months post op and lost 97 pounds about 5 months out and reached goal.  I logged every bite and sip from week one all the way up to today and will continue forever logging.  I find if I get off track I have the reason logged and it is easy to see where things went wrong.  Anyone that has started weight gains post op tends to be those that stopped logging or being vigilant.  Stay on plan and you will succeed.  It really is that easy.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Love4me
on 3/27/13 3:08 pm
Absolutely!
Brandi D
on 3/27/13 3:14 pm

In a heartbeat.

I would've asked my doctor to NOT do a 40 bougie, however..... I've stretched way more than I would have liked.

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning." ~Aristotle Onassis
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views