Question about carbs

ababenoit
on 4/14/13 8:49 am - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
Ok... So I always thought carbs were carbs lol. But when looking at certain foods... Such as the quest bar... I wonder if the carb count is 20 and fiber is 17... Then it says the carb is really 3. Is that what you are really supposed to count it as? Also I see something like the carb count being 20 and fiber as 12.. To me that should be 8... But then it says ssomething about alcohol sugars and that the active carbs are actually like 4. (Just an example, don't know if numbers are correct) so I dont know how to figure all this out!

MomofMarch
on 4/14/13 8:53 am - GA

To be honest, I have noooooo clue on that one. I haven't reached the point of comfortably counting fiber vs carbs. To me, carbs are carbs. Others here may be able to tell you the difference. I'm actually interested in what they have to say. lol

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Ms Shell
on 4/14/13 9:07 am - Hawthorne, CA
Your numbers are correct but for MY body a carb regardless of fiber counts so I don't subtract fiber. My day is 50g.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

MargeAD
on 4/14/13 9:29 am - CA

What you are talking about is total carbs vs net carb.  Fiber is considered a carb but is not absorbed and in fact helps you digest your food.  So I use net carbs as my target.  I get 30-40 per day.

Hvfaith
on 4/14/13 9:49 am - St Albert, Canada

Also, be warned, I love quest bars! Especially the brownie, but some days I dump on them and somedays I don't so I limit myself to a half at anytime.  I also count net carbs.

Julie L.
on 4/14/13 9:50 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

They also usually subtract sugar alcohols.  However other than erythritol you want to try to not eat too many sugar alcohols because they can cause some umm,  gastric distress.  Especially maltitol,  ewww.    Also even though they don't "count" the carbs from sugar alcohols,  some people metabolize them as if they were real sugar so I'd count any sugar alcohol carbs to be safe.

Keith L.
on 4/14/13 10:35 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

In general and at a high level, fiber is not digestible, so it can sometimes be removed from the carb count. It depends on the type of fiber. Insoluable fiber is not digestible so things like psyllium husk falls into this category. Soluable fiber is partially digestibile and you actually do digest some of the fiber, but most passes through. So because the US labeling laws are so lax they can get away with that type of statement on a label. 

Sugar alcohols are another that falls into this category. Depending on the type of sugar alcohol it is has a varying degree of digestibility. Some are partially digestible and some pass right through, so they can be removed or partially removed from the carb count.

Things like quest bars you can probably safely remove the fiber carbs and the sugar alcohol carbs to get net or active carbs. But to really tell you need to read the label in detail and you would need to know what each ingredient is and the effect it has on your body.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

ababenoit
on 4/14/13 11:02 am - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
Oh geez! So what should I do? Should I just count carbs as carbs and forget about subtracting the fiber?

Keith L.
on 4/14/13 11:35 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You have to decide what works best for you. Carbs effect everyone in a different way. As MsShell said, for her a carb is a carb and many of the vets (and the most successful ones) will agree with that position. For me personally I want to get as much fiber as I can get in a day and I don't get enough from leafy green veggies so I subtract out the fiber and some sugar alcohols.

When you are just starting out, it is best and easiest to just count a carb as a carb and don't get fancy until you get the hang of it. Depending on where you are in your journey you should stay away from quest bars until you are a good 6 months out and even then only once a week.

Start with goal of eating 600-800 calories, 20-40 grams of carbohydrates, approx 25 grams (the vets will say less) of fat, and eat as munch green veggies as you can after you eat your protein. Also more importantly get 80 or more ounces of water per day.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

grannymedic1
on 4/14/13 10:37 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I mostly go on the carbs vs protein ratio. Even though beans, cottage cheese,, oatmeal, etc. are carbs to me they are in the good category. As for bars to be used as a snack I do the carb/protein thing which puts many  of them out of the running. I have days where my carbs are quite high but as long as it came from good quality food that is ok. What I keep out are the types that trigger cravings.

I am in the minority on this board, but this has worked for me for 3 years.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views