wls=alcoholism

dewgo
on 6/27/13 12:33 pm
VSG on 07/01/10 with
I just wanted to speak what's on my mind and see if/how many people can relate... BC im in a strange place right now....

First off.. I've always had weight issues... Literally big boned and rough genetics... My parents deprived me of "unhealthy" foods since I can remember.. Used to sneak them... Etc..

As soon as I went to college and was free to binge in whatever whenever I wanted I blew up to 305 lbs... Btw im 5' 10". So... With that said... My life was gone.. Didn't do anything I was too embarrassed to be in public... Finally got the vsg with dr. Guiermo in Mexico... Saved my life in too many ways....

But what's weird or frightening is that soon after I got down to my goal weight... I started drinking... Heavily.. Its been about 2 yrs and now I've just recently admitted im an alcoholic... Now don't get me wrong.. Alcoholism runs on both sides of my family... But I never drank like this before and its becoming alarming to me... Am I substituting booze for food? And can anyone out there relate? I'd love to hear from u... Cause im scared... Im soooo much happier now to be thin but it's not rewarding when I cant have relationships bc of my excessive drinking.. Any talk/help/advice/or similar stories would really help the soul right now... If ur still reading this.. Thank u for at least listening.. I was so embarrassed about being obese and needing surgery bc ppl don't understand... I didnt tell buy 4 close ppl in my life so i don't have too many to talk to.. So thank u
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/13 12:40 pm - Melrose, MA
VSG on 03/11/13

First of all, I think you're very brave to share this. I think it's a very real phenomenon to substitute one addiction for another and it seems like maybe that has happened with you. Is it possible for you to find a therapist or a support group where you could get some help? We are always here to listen, but I am a big believer in therapy and would be lost on this journey without it.

acbbrown
on 6/27/13 12:40 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Transfer addictions are very common after WLS. Many of us have underlying issues that caused us to gain weight (sounds like you have some insight into this) and when we dont deal with those through therapy or other methods, those issues will still be there when we are thin. We then start to look for other ways to cope. Some people drink, others drugs, some shop, some gamble, some sex...there are all sorts of transfer addictions. 

Fortunately you are in a great spot - you are starting to admit you have a problem. that is a HUGE first step, so you should give yourself a pat on the back for that. There are lots of rehabs/AAs, things like that that can help you get sober, but regardless, you should get into therapy and work out the underlying issues so you dont need to look for unhealthy coping mechanisms. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

happyteacher
on 6/27/13 12:56 pm

No advice, just a quick note saying I am glad to read you are aware and taking steps to heal.  Good luck in your journey!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

HilaryH8103
on 6/27/13 4:00 pm - WA
You are very, VERY brave. Transfer addiction is SO common. It is very possible that you're using alcohol to replace food. I am not a doctor therefore I can't speak on it for sure but I do hope that you get all of the help you need. Drug & Alcohol addiction are two very scary paths that I wish for no one.

Good Luck to you, I wish you nothing but the best,
Hilary
DJordan
on 6/27/13 5:38 pm - MA

You are very brave for posting this!  Also, you have a good insight because you're realizing there's a problem. 

There is a study that some sleevers become alcoholics.  Part of my multi disciplinary group is therapy and my therapist was warning me about the possibility of alcoholism, I too, come from alcoholism from both sides of my family. 

I'm not a doctor, and my advise is the same that I would give any friend who was having issues and realizes that there's an issue..... If I were in your shoes, I would start therapy and AA meetings.   No one will judge you at either place. 

Best of luck. :)  Stay strong

Sandy M.
on 6/27/13 9:29 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

What do they say...admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery?  Well done my friend.  I know they've done studies on transfer addictions, but here's what I think.  I think that for some people there is something genetic that predisposes you to addictions.  And for some others, a trauma can cause an addiction.  Regardless, if you have an "addictive personality", you're gonna struggle.  Sounds like your first addiction was food, and when you got that under control you moved to alcohol.

Without fixing the underlying problem (therapy perhaps?) you might stop drinking but then move on to a shopping addiction, gambling addiction, or something else.  

We're not doctors here, but we do care about you - keep talking and we'll keep listening.  And reach out for help - I think you'll be surprised to find that you're not alone in this struggle!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

tigerbelle
on 6/27/13 11:32 pm - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

some good advice here from others...I don't have anything to add other than to emphasize that you are definitely not alone in your struggles and I guarantee you will find many of us here who can relate to what you are going through

jenn227
on 6/27/13 11:51 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

You are not alone in this for sure.  There are definitely support groups and therapy that can help you with this.  Congratulations for being able to identify this issue and getting the help that you need.

Take care!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

Janet M.
on 6/28/13 2:32 am - WA
VSG on 12/27/12

I completely agree with everyone else who has posted, counseling and AA are your best bets to sort this out.  I have this issue just the other way around, I have been sober for over 24 years and I was thin my whole life until I got sober, then I used food instead of booze and started a twenty year battle with the weight.  One thing I believe is that the same tools that you used to be successful at WL will work for you when dealing with the alcoholism.  So as I see it you are already two HUGE steps in front of anyone else because you have your tool box right at hand and you have admitted you have a problem with alcohol, which is the first and hardest step on your path to sobriety.  I am just now getting a glimpse of life being both sober and at a healthy weight and it is incredible, powerful and above all freeing.  Feel free to PM me if I can help in any way.  You CAN do this!

Janet

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views