Newbie with lots of questions! Help!

jlangley
on 7/2/13 12:13 pm - NC
VSG on 08/05/13

I'm a 36yo mom of 2 (c-section)... I'm 5'3.5" and 232# (yes, the .5 counts).  I had my initial consult today and it's looking like VSG is the option I'll go with... but I'm starting to get VERY nervous!!  I've read the positives / negatives and everything in between... I'm getting nervous about those that are 3+ years out and now re-gaining their weight, as well as those that have (WOOHOO) met their goal (WOOHOO) and are now looking into abdominoplasties, etc.  Is there anyone out there with a similar starting point as mine?  Anyone have any success in meeting their WL goals and NOT needing to have (or wishing they could) have a penniculectomy or abdominoplasty?  Any tricks out there to avoid sagging skin??

acbbrown
on 7/2/13 1:36 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Worrying about saggy skin is like putting the cart before the horse....under any cir****tances, loose saggy skin is 200 x better than fat filled skin. 

There are quite a few people that gain weight 2-3 years out. Life happens. Worrying about that could be a good thing - it should reinforce the idea that this is absolutely a lifestyle change and you absolutely must find new ways to cope with life other than food. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Keith L.
on 7/2/13 1:47 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

The 2-3 yr out weight gain is not unique to VSG, it happens with all WLS if you get complacent and feel like you can eat ice cream and just because you have a small stomach you won't gain weight. WLS is just a tool. If you use it correctly, you will be successful, if you abuse it, you probably won't. If you lose all of your weight and think you are done, you will gain the weight back. If you continue to eat right and exercise and make it a true lifestyle change, you will probably be successful. This is not a sprint, it's a marathon that never ends. . 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

jlangley
on 7/2/13 2:16 pm - NC
VSG on 08/05/13
Thanks! I appreciate the words of wisdom! And, yes, I realize its a bit premature to even be thinking about saggy skin... I am an obsessive planner and more or less trying to prepare myself and my family for the "reality" of this journey. Please keep sharing!
mickeymantle
on 7/2/13 3:24 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

at your weight and age there is a good chance you will not need plastic surgery , unless you love the sun all your life and always have a dark tan

to lose the weight and keep it off there is a simple rule ,STAY ON YOUR PLAN  IF YOU FOLLOW YOUR PLAN YOU WILL LOSE AND KEEP IT OFF  if you don't you will nor lose or you will grain it back

the surgery is not the main tool the plan is , the surgery helps you stay on plan and the plan keeps you healthy and helps you lose

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Stephmom
on 7/2/13 11:21 pm
I had my first consult with surgeon last week, we decided on the sleeve. The best advice and information I've found so far has been here on OH! Lots of wisdom here from the Vets and newbies going thro what we, ll be doing soon! Best of luck!
Jls8877
on 7/2/13 11:29 pm
Hi! Welcome to OH. I'm 35 and a mother of 3 kids (adopted). I had my VSG on 8/23/12 at a starting weight around 265. I made my goal of 150# in may but revised that and am currently at 142. I'm very satisfied here as I'm 5'8" tall. I exercise (running) at least 5-6 days per week and stick to my plan 80-90% of the time. If I allow a food choice that is off plan, I make sure it's worth it and track all my calories on My Fitness Pal. I do not have a lot of extra skin but could use a tummy tuck and breast lift with possible augmentation. That will hopefully happen next year. You can do this if you stay committed. Regain is always on my mind. I weigh daily and try to stay in a range that I'm happy with.
Best of luck to you! This is life changing with lots of UPs and a few DOWNS along the way.
jlangley
on 7/3/13 3:40 pm - NC
VSG on 08/05/13

Thanks!  I'm sure that I will want to do SOMETHING... but I'm staying positive that I won't need a lift and tuck on every square inch of me :)

Most Active