How committed to this are you ???

frisco
on 3/9/14 1:11 pm

What is the "one" commonality among the ones that do well at any WLS ???

Commitment and Compliance.......

Sure there are a few that can have surgery and just eat less of anything and just float through this..... but I assure you..... it's very few......

- For most to lose the last weight and make goal takes an extra push of commitment......

- WL slows or can stop after the 6 month mark for a number of reasons..... the biggest reason..... running short on commitment.......

- Regain generally happens...... because...... the commitment ran out.....

All the tips and tricks in the book don't work without commitment in compliance in place as a core skill set......

So, I guess the "point" of this post ...... is that I/we read everyday here people looking for that "tip" or "trick" or "magic bullet"........

or that simulated cake or candy bar...... that double stuff, chocolate strawberry sundae caramel truffle Quest bar is a candy bar.

Instead of looking for that unrealistic "free" card...... look for more commitment.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

trinoc
on 3/9/14 1:39 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I hear you!  I'm not quite two months in so I'm still riding the high of the quick loss and tight, tight, restriction.  I meditate every day on maintaining commitment and focus when the rubber meets the road and this becomes more work.  While it's easy, I'm still committed enough to eat like it weren't.  I do not play w/ processed foods, carbs, bars, etc...I'm afraid of them.  I don't snack because I don't need to.  I eat whole foods that fuel my body rather than junk that feeds my cravings.  It's not been easy but I figure it's easier to do now than it will be in 6-7 months!

Thanks, frisco.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

scottfire
on 3/9/14 2:21 pm - Port Washington, NY

I hear you man!

jubigirl
on 3/9/14 3:40 pm
VSG on 08/26/13

So true! Old habits die hard. I've really spent the honeymoon phase trying to retrain my brain. It's tough. 

TexasTerritory
on 3/9/14 3:53 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
So true! Got to stay committed to commitment!

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/14 5:10 pm

I sometimes hate that you are SOOOOOO right.

(I'm also glad you're here to be right!)

jubjub
on 3/9/14 9:45 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

As a wise man once said to me: "It's not your commitment I'm worried about, It's your commitment to your commitment that worries me!"

What you say here: "that double stuff, chocolate strawberry sundae caramel truffle Quest bar is a candy bar. Instead of looking for that unrealistic "free" card...... look for more commitment....."

is right on the money.  While it did not hurt me particularly, the Quest bar "fantasy" is just that.  Yes, it's a way to get in protein.  Yes, they taste pretty good (some anyway - some yecchhhh), but the issue is not that - it's "philosophy."  We're almost all here because we ate ****ty.  We. Must. Change.  I grow more and more convinced that real food is the way forward.  If it comes in a foil wrapper, plastic bag, or a box, I desperately try not to eat it.  Restaurant food, more and more, (and almost 100% with chains) is just people in a back room opening boxes and bags and heating things up.  Things scientifically engineered to push every button in your poor brain.  It DOES taste good... that's the problem.

Commit to real food - look at Frisco's recipes.  LEARN TO COOK.  It ain't that hard. You can cook once a week and package up the leftovers.

I believe you will lose your taste for the packaged stuff.  I have.  AFter eating 1,000 quest bars I'm done.  They just don't taste that good anymore after eating real food consistently over 2 years.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

diane S.
on 3/10/14 4:52 am

you are so right about the real food Tom.   A doctor was once telling us about reading labels on food packages but he said really if it comes in a package and lists more than about three ingredients, you shouldn't be eating it. so true.   i find i go to the grocery much more often than i did when i was fat but i buy smaller quantities of fresh stuff instead of boxes of cheeze-its and pasta. its part of the commitment to ha*****ange but one that i didn't realize i would be doing. one good thing - the weekly grocery store haul used to be such an ordeal with 100 extra pounds and now its easy to stop in to the hippie coop or any of the smaller stores and get what i need for a day or two.     diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Sandy M.
on 3/9/14 11:19 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

So true, but commitment doesn't have to have negative connotations either.  Real food is delicious, nutritious, and fun to make.  Fake food made with artificial sweeteners and tons of sodium and fat just so they taste kind of like the original are gross.  Fast food is gross - really people, do you KNOW what's in it?

I'm committed to eating fresh, local (when possible) food that I have prepared myself.  That's not a hardship, but it required commitment from me to learn how to read nutrition labels, log my food consistently to understand what I was really taking in, and to truly change my life - not just make substitutions while on a diet.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not hard-core vegan, I don't just eat raw foods, I don't juice, and I love my animal protein.  But I don't use recipes that call for cream of mushroom soup, fat-free or sugar-free anything.  The recipe has to stand on its own as delicious AND healthy.  This is a lifestyle, not a short-term diet.  I'm not deprived; I've opened my mind up to a world of food possibilities and tastes I haven't tasted before.  

And I agree with you - Quest bars are glorified candy bars.  I've tried several of them, and they just put in the mindset of the days before surgery when I'd have a Snicker's bar in the afternoon to quell my hunger.  Now the Dannon Light & Fit Greek strawberry cheesecake or key lime yogurts are another story, LOL!  

When a friend asked me the other day how I'd lost the weight, I said "eating less and moving more".  He was disappointed; thought I had a magic trick for him!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

jubjub
on 3/10/14 1:05 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Like. A lot.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views