Ugh, can't get the shakes down...

EmmyK
on 5/29/14 4:47 pm - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I liked Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle and Muscle Milk Chocolate prior to surgery.  I had regularly had one for breakfast.  I also like the Quest White Chocolate Raspberry bars.

I can definitely say, my taste buds are COMPLETELY different now.

I just tried the Syntrax Nectar Twisted Cherry.  (I have a sampler of individual servings.)  It's a little better, but still can only drink about 3/4 of it.

I have the Bariatric Foodie's Protein Drink book.  I just can't tolerate the super sweet stuff.

I tried Unjury Chicken Soup.  Terrible.  I think I'm all whey'd out.

Quest bars are definitely not a slider food for me.  However, I don't enjoy them anymore (taste like chemicals.)  I can sometimes eat half of one.  A whole one is way too much.

I'm trying to get as much protein as I can in my foods.  Lots of microwave quiche (thanks, Frisco!) and ground turkey chili with beans and cheese on top.  Greek yogurt for snacks...

I try to choke the shakes down, but they are just gross and terrible.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

puffierus
on 5/29/14 8:31 pm - PA

I found that making the Unjury Chicken soup with chicken or vegatable broth instead of water help elimated the whea smell and improved the taste allot. I use bariatric Wonderslim shakes/pudding I use 4 oz of water and make it a pudding. I just find it easier to eat 4 oz of pudding than drink 8 oz of shakes. I have been adding choc protein to my coffee this elimates the sweetest. Have you tried the Isopure 0 carb premad drinks 40 grams of protien and taste likeGatorade 

good luck  

HW 268   SW219   CW 181.2 surgery date 10/31/2013

:<span class=

weese
on 5/29/14 9:29 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

I couldn't tolerate them either. Early on I made my own with chicken broth and un flavored unjury. As soon as I could I started eating 2oz of cottage cheese mid morning and mid afternoon to increase my protein for the day. Now I take lite string cheese to work and that helps. Eventually you will getting your protein from food only and you won't have to suppliment with shakes. Unless you perfer...some do. Check out the world according to egg face for food ideas. I love her protein pancake ideas. I have one of those with a light spread of whipped cream cheese in the morning. I make up a double batch on the weekend, measure out two oz of batter and when they are cool I wrapped them up in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. 35 seconds in the microwave and breakfast is served. I think the recipients with ricotta cheese are the best taste and texture. 

Good luck.

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

cappy11448
on 5/29/14 10:10 pm

My tummy wouldn't tolerate sweet drinks after surgery.  So I relied entirely on unflavored protein powder to make my protein goals.  I'd put it in chicken broth, sugar-free jello, yogurt, fat-free sugar-free puddings, soups, basically anything that could be stirred. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

diane S.
on 5/30/14 3:51 am

excessivly sweet protein drinks can be improved.   add a teaspoon of unsweetened coco powder to the choc drink and mix well.   for other flavors, add a blob of greek yogurt.  or have a serving of plain greek yogurt with protein powder mixed in.  put cinnamon on the edge of your glass so you smell that and not the whey.   only pour out two ounces at a time and keep the rest cold.  drink the two ounces and get another two.    i also used to cook a chicken breast then grind it up in the food processer and then combine with chicken broth.  an easier way to get chicken down.  gl.  it will get easier.   i recently tried think thin pumpkin spice protein drink from GNC.  pretty good.      diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views