*update* itchy rash- fat loss pictures included

msecanales
on 12/6/15 3:16 pm, edited 12/9/15 7:48 pm

This is going to sound silly and maybe a little far fetched but its worth a try..

I am 6 weeks post of and have developed a itchy, red rash on both arms. This happened 2 weeks ago. Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream didn't help. I went to Urgent Care and was given an steroid injection and rx for stronger steroid cream. They didn't want to give me oral steroids due to my recent vsg. The injection helped and my rash cleared by the next day. 2 days ago, I started with this rash again on my arms. That I can think of, I haven't changed anything or tried any new foods. It doesn't look like an allergic reaction- no hives. I have been reading on line and have come across several ppl that developed an itchy rash 5-7 weeks post op. I read about when you go through fat loss and in ketosis, the toxins are being released at a rapid rate which causes the itchy rash. Has anyone experienced this? I am eating the required amount of protein so I know it may be far fetched about the whole ketosis theory...?

This is so itchy, I feel like ripping my skin off!

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

msecanales
on 12/6/15 3:20 pm

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

iloveravens
on 12/6/15 5:19 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I had a very similar rash all over my back at around 6 months out. It's better now. I was thinking it was hormonal...but you have me thinking?! I hope it clears up soon. 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

animallover1247
on 12/6/15 6:17 pm

Please keep us updated and let us know if this has anything to do with the surgery! Looks miserable! 

CALINATE
on 12/6/15 3:33 pm - Opp, AL
VSG on 11/17/15

I was thinking that I was the only one. I have not gone to the doctor but I figured it had to have something to do with the surgery. I had read online that until I was able to get in the protein that this was a possibility. I am not getting it in yet as I am not quite 3 weeks post op yet. If I were you I believe that I would contact my surgeon. They are the one that would know more about this than an urgent care facility would. Hope everything works out for the best. 

msecanales
on 12/6/15 3:39 pm

I went to urgent care because I thought it was due to an allergic reaction and I couldn't control the itching. When the rash came back a few days ago, that's what made me look a little deeper online. I don't understand though because I have been getting my appropriate protein intake.. i don't know. I just know that I am miserable. I have an appointment with my surgeon this Wednesday. 

MyJourney2015
on 12/6/15 3:47 pm

I had this as well.  It started about a week after my surgery.  I had it about 3 weeks and I still have little red scars on my arms and legs.  I was going crazy with itching.  Also when I'm exercising and start to sweat my back gets so itchy.....I have no idea why.  I hope your itchiness passes soon.  I used gold bond medicated....it would make my skin tingle and it helped.

SDenae
on 12/6/15 8:42 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

It looks kinda like the dry skin rash that I have gotten off and on since becoming a diabetic. (Not saying you're diabetic.) Some diabetics have constant dry skin issues. Are you getting in all of your water? If you lightly scratch your skin, do you see a chalky line where your nails went?

I'll tell you what I do for my skin and you can try it and see if it helps. First, apply the cream that the doc gave you for a couple of days to get the rash healed up a bit. Then, when you take showers use only warm water. No more scalding hot showers or baths, they dry your skin out more. Try to use a moisturizing soap, I like Caress Daily Silkening. After your shower, pat dry and immediately apply lotion all over your body while you're still damp. (I use Vaseline Total Moisture Dry Skin Lotion w/Vitamin E because the vaseline helps to block moisture from evaporating from your skin. When I first had this, the doc said to use straight Vaseline, but I find that this lotion is good enough and it smells sooo much better.)

This is how I have to handle my showers every single time. When I start getting lazy or rebellious and just don't want to take the time to put on lotion after the shower, I start breaking out after 2 or 3 showers.

I can't say for sure that this is what you have, but I hope my suggestions help. Good luck!

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

msecanales
on 12/7/15 7:19 pm

Thank you for your response. When I scratch it there is no chakly line where my nails went. When I scratch it, it gets red and puffier. I have never liked ho****er to shower. Even when I get a pedicure, I always have to ask the lady to add cold water because I can't handle ho****er. I use a lot of lotion so I am not sure this is due to dry skin. I have vitamin E oil that I apply on my stomach and hips (hoping this will help my shrinking skin some). I may try to put some on my arms and see if this does anything. Thanks again.

psychoticparrot
on 12/7/15 2:23 pm

It still amazes me that having a portion of your stomach removed can have effects that seemingly have nothing to do with the stomach. Makes me wonder if the Asian theory of body "meridians" has more merit than I thought.

I have itchy rashes too, but they're in the fat folds, and increasingly, in the excess skin folds. But that's very common and the reason for them is known and can be treated.

Good luck with getting rid of that rash. The Chinese have a saying: Better a pain than an itch!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views