Has anyone NOT lost any weight by 5 weeks out???

SpikyP L.
on 1/7/16 8:41 pm - NM

I am five weeks out from surgery and have not lost any weight in four weeks !!!!!  I lost about 4 pounds the week after surgery when I was on the liquid diet and that's it !!!  The weight I lost from the time I went into surgery which is 4 pounds might've been just the stomach portion that they took from me !!!  Since then I have not lost 1 pound is there anyone else out there like me or am I just a complete failure ???    Since surgery I have had no problems I had my water I had my Optifast when it came time to eat I had no problems I was able to eat 6-7ounces  with no problem.   I have been eating from 1000 to 1200 cal a day.  I almost feel like I didn't have surgery but I know I can't eat as much as I used to.   I have trouble taking in water I've been taking in maybe about 25 to 30 ounces of water plus about 4-5 cups of decaf coffee a day.    I've had a few things along the line that I shouldn't have had  around the Christmas and New Year's holiday  but I haven't exceeded 1200 calories in one day including the snacks .   I'd say maybe 200- 300 cal would be snacks that I have eaten here and there.  Do you know of anyone that has not lost weight with the sleeve ???  Again am I the only one ???

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/7/16 9:10 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

First, take a breath & let it out slowly, now another, and another. Ok? Chill out, it's only been 5 weeks, it's way, way too early to start getting into panic mode. You've just had major surgery, I repeat, major surgery. Your body is in healing mode. Get tha****er in, sip, sip, sip.

A thousand to 12 hundred calories is a lot of calories at 5 weeks, 200-300 hundred calories for snacks is a lot too. Use the magnifying glass in the top left corner & read past posts on what are you eating today to get an idea of what everyone else is eating. I'm not sure if you're finished with the stages or not, but if you're onto solid food try not to drink your calories. 

You can't trust your stomach to feel restriction so follow your Drs plan for you, track, log, weigh & measure everything that goes into your mouth. Don't become scale obsessed! Take measurements, not everything is reflected in the scale.

Now step away from the ledge, Breathe & keep it moving.  Good luck to you. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

SpikyP L.
on 1/7/16 9:20 pm - NM

Yes I know 1000 to 1200 cal is a lot  calories to eat at the stage but I get hungry !!!! And because I can eat it I have been eating it I take 6-8 oz because I can and I get hungry!!!  I am logging everything .   I am eating fish vegetables soups trying to be healthy .  I'm starting apples grapes and pineapple.  Been exercising for the last week three times a week  first three weeks I was working and I couldn't I was too tired when I got home   Again I am was feel like I have no surgery   But I will keep trucking along thank you for your comment 

ladygodiva1228
on 1/8/16 1:32 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 8, 2016 at 5:20 AM Pacific Time, SpikyP L. wrote:

Yes I know 1000 to 1200 cal is a lot  calories to eat at the stage but I get hungry !!!! And because I can eat it I have been eating it I take 6-8 oz because I can and I get hungry!!!  I am logging everything .   I am eating fish vegetables soups trying to be healthy .  I'm starting apples grapes and pineapple.  Been exercising for the last week three times a week  first three weeks I was working and I couldn't I was too tired when I got home   Again I am was feel like I have no surgery   But I will keep trucking along thank you for your comment 

Oh boy are you heading down a dangerous road.  I don't care if you "get hungry" eating that many calories, ounces, and fruit this early out is a set-up for failure. 

I am not trying to be mean I am trying to open your eyes.  The hunger you are feeling is either head hunger, dehydration or a build up of acid.  Are you on a PPI for acid?

What does your surgeon say about what and how much you are eating? 

You do know that if you over fill your new sleeve that you can very well bust the staple line and cause a leak. 

I suggest you make an appointment with your surgeon, find a therapist, and a good nutritionist. 

Don't miss out on the honeymoon period of the surgery.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/8/16 11:18 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Exercise will not make an appreciable difference in the amount of weight you lose.  What matters is what food and how many calories you put into your body.

Avoid fruits at this stage.  They are full of sugar/carbs.  You should be focusing on dense protein first, probably in the range of 2-3 ounces.  Eat slowly.  If you need to eat more, eat vegetables.  

Soups will not fill you up.  They will slide through your pyloric valve quickly and you think you're still hungry. 

Again I will ask, are you taking a PPI?  You probably are mistaking hunger for stomach acid.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

bruindiva92
on 1/7/16 9:36 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

First, as T said, take a deep breath..you just had major surgery.

Second, according to your surgeon's plan, how many calories should you be consuming daily?  If it's not 1000-1200 daily, you are eating too much. Success with VSG is not about what you CAN eat but what you SHOULD eat.

You mentioned you had a few things around the holidays that you should not have eaten.

So, you know why you haven't lost any weight--only YOU can decide if you are willing to commit 200% to your weight loss success.  

Neesie57
on 1/7/16 10:04 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I'm 5 months out from surgery and am eating between 600-700 calories a day.  I also get less than 30 grams of carbs per day, with a goal of 57-85 grams of protein.

Just because you can eat more doesn't mean you should.  All of your food should be weighed and measured and you should only eat that amount.  I wasn't on true solid food until 8 weeks out, so you should be talking to a nutritionist to see what she recommends.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

luvlife70
on 1/8/16 12:31 am
Revision on 01/20/16

i would say your mind is in the way. why are you second guessing? say to yourself, "I am successful. i am going to do this. i deserve to be happy and healthy." say to yourself you're full earlier. the romans used to say, "never leave the table without wishing you had eaten more." even though i've gained weight again, i always leave something on my plate and in my glass...

also, 1000-1200 calories a day? is that what you're supposed to eat? can you imagine what you'll be doing in 1 year if you're eating all of that now as far as oz and calories?

my plan and the way that i was successful b-4 was that from the very beginning i got active and i maximized my weight loss in the beginning by eating as little as possible and getting my nutrients in. hope it helps and isn't preachy. i am trying to help.

lori

Nick S.
on 1/8/16 3:43 am, edited 1/7/16 7:45 pm - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

Rignt now, I'm almost 3 weeks post op. At this stage of my journey, I'm still on a full liquid diet. My nutritionist won't allow any pureed foods until 20 days out. I can't have solid foods until another week after that. 

Here is what my typical diet consists of in a day:

Breakfast- Greek Yogurt (4oz maybe)   90 calories

Lunch- Protein Shake (made from powder and skim milk) 160 calories

Snack- Tomato Soup, thinned with skim milk (4oz)   90 calories

Dinner- Protein Shake    160 calories 

If you add all that up, it's about 500 calories total for the day. On top of that, I usually get around 50oz of water (that's still not enough) and 2 multivitamins down per day. To date, I've lost nearly 45lbs and I lose weight daily.

You need to buckle down and refocus on your diet and what your goals are with this surgery. Make sure you get more water in. Make sure you are taking some sort of anti acid pills. Look at pics of yourself at your heaviest. The sleeve is only a tool. You need to make it work.

Good Luck!

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

cappy11448
on 1/8/16 5:28 am

Hi,

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with hunger. 

Most people eat 600 to 800 calories per day early out after surgery.  I'm in maintenance and I aim at 1200 calories a day, probably averaging 1400 to maintain.  So eating 1200 calories a day is not going to give you the weight loss you want.

I had to go very low carb, or I'd have food cravings.  I'm wondering if your "hunger" is actually food cravings brought on by eating carbs.

I'd suggest trying a very low carb diet for a few days and see if the hunger diminishes.  You'll have to white-knuckle it for a few days.  I keep my carbs below 25 g / day.  This means all my carbs come from dairy and low carb veggies.  No bread, no deserts, no potatoes, no rice, no beans, etc.

good luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views