Can you EVER take NSAIDS after weight loss surgery.?

kaykay9.0
on 7/18/09 5:44 pm - Plano (suburb of Dallas), TX
My husband is about ready to cancel his scheduled sleeve surgery when he read in the book that you can't take NSAIDS.  It gives the impression that you can never take them after weight loss surgery!  It's the week-end so we cant just call and ask.

He has knee and other arthritis issues which we're sure the surgery and resulting weight loss would help, but he's still not sure he can live forever without taking anti-inflammatory meds.  Anyone have this issue?
Batwingsman
on 7/18/09 5:58 pm - Garland, TX
 Not a problem with DS.   Since the VSG is just part of the DS, I don't see why it would be a problem with it, either.  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

flyingkiwi
on 7/18/09 6:38 pm - New Zealand
NSAIDS are fine with a sleeve - I was prescribed them on discharge from surgery! By the way, his arthritis is probably going to be soooo much better after surgery it wont be an issue.
Wish him luck!
BeSwitched
on 7/18/09 8:42 pm, edited 2/12/12 1:46 am

Kokoshka
on 7/18/09 9:05 pm - Denver, CO
First the wls will help witht he inflamation issue.  I had Carpol Tunnel in my right hand, and yes the first week was not fun, but the other pain medicine they give help a little.  However after the first week, it was like my body cured itself.  Since then I have had no pain from the Carpol Tunnel,  (Tarpol Tunnel is the inflamation in the joints of the wirst.)  I'm ten months and 90 lbs down.

You also asked if you can ever take NSaids,  then main concern is that it can cause an ulcer in the stomach and usually that is from taking it on a daily basis or taking larger than recommended doses.  I actually do take Advil from time to time.  Leg pain every now and then,  Cramps from monthly periods, back ache from (God never thought this would be the case) too much excersize. 

I don't have a problem as long as it's a once in a while thing.  Never had problem with it before surgery either and was taking it quite often due to the carpol tunnel thing.

So yes you can have Nsaids after wards, just be aware to use it ONLY when you need to.. and try not to be dependant on it on a daily basis if you can help it.  ( also while your stomach heals, up to a month,  try not to take at all.)    if you are taking prescription strenth nsaid,  check with your doctor though.  Hopefully you won't have to take it, becasue your body will heal itself like it did for me.

Koko
Kokoshka
298/288/207/150 Start/WLS/Current/Goal  (highest weight in '06 317)

Edit   Delete  

limeymum
on 7/18/09 10:27 pm, edited 7/18/09 10:30 pm
My surgeon also told me no NSAIDS. He did however recommend Tylenol. I have to take two in the mornings for my oseoarthristis in my left knee. Since losing some weight, the pain has eased up considerably.
Please tell your husband to not cancel his surgery, it will be the best thing he ever did for himself. Diane
http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wF39CJm/weight.png

mittenfarm
on 7/18/09 11:53 pm - County Line, MI
Tell him to have the surgery and he will no longer need the NSAIDs for the most part. I used to to ake them every day for joint and knee pain and now only rarely take one if my back is bothering me after too much yard work. They are OK to take with the sleeve or DS, but NSAIDs are hard on anyone's stomach, so I try to stay away from them for the health of what's left of my stomach.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

Kerry J.
on 7/19/09 12:00 am - Santa Clara, UT
He's mixed up or the info is false. You can take NSAIDs if you have the sleeve or the DS. No NSAIDs is a RNY / Pouch problem, not sure about Bands.

I have gout and I take 800-1000 MG of Ibuprofen three times a day with the gout attacks. I also work out and lift weights so I take Ibuprofen when I over do it and get sore muscles no problems what so ever. You should eat a little something though when you take NSAIDs.

Kerry
Marle
on 7/19/09 12:02 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/09 with

This was also a big concern with me. I take 1000-1500mg of Naprelan daily besides Oxycodone for the pain caused by severe arthritis in both knees. I also take 40mg of Nexium to protect my stomach.  I am only 56 years old and don't want to have a knee replacement until after my WLS.

My WL surgeon has his patients sign a contract that includes:

"To not take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. If these medications are used you must protect the stomach against ulcers with medications such as Prevacid or Protonix."

I am going for the Roux-en-Y surgery and felt much better knowing I can continue taking the meds for my arthritis, otherwise I couldn't walk, work or do anything.
MsBatt
on 7/19/09 12:26 am
On July 19, 2009 at 7:02 AM Pacific Time, Marle wrote:

This was also a big concern with me. I take 1000-1500mg of Naprelan daily besides Oxycodone for the pain caused by severe arthritis in both knees. I also take 40mg of Nexium to protect my stomach.  I am only 56 years old and don't want to have a knee replacement until after my WLS.

My WL surgeon has his patients sign a contract that includes:

"To not take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. If these medications are used you must protect the stomach against ulcers with medications such as Prevacid or Protonix."

I am going for the Roux-en-Y surgery and felt much better knowing I can continue taking the meds for my arthritis, otherwise I couldn't walk, work or do anything.
The problem is that, Prevacid or not, you're going to have this huge blind pouch that can't be 'scoped if they suspect you've developed ulcers in there---it requires surgery. If you need NSAIDs on a regular basis, I strongly urge you to go with either the DS or the Sleeve. Both of these would leave you with a much smaller yet still fully-functional stomach, and NO BLIND POUCH.
Most Active