What to do, I can't afford the surgery, but Can't afford not to have WLS.

Heather T.
on 10/27/09 6:06 am - Hoagland, IN
I found out today that even with my Insurance deducible and out-of-pocket completely paid, I will have to pay 1200 dollars UPFRONT (before surgery), and I can not afford to not have this surgery but I can't afford to pay for it either.

So is it wrong to ask for help?

To ask those who love me and want me thin and healthy to help pay?  Maybe pitch in extra for my birthday (Nov. 19th,) and Christmas (surgery date of Dec 27th). or is it my responsibility to realize I can't afford it and move on and give up on trying?

Need advice,and hope!!

EOD WIFE
on 10/27/09 6:09 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
I say go for it what is the worst that can happen?

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

greenpunchbuggie
on 10/27/09 6:12 am - Maplewood, NJ
i have to tell you this-- $1200, while it seems insurmountable is NOT that much money.  i would totally go around to everyone you know and ask if you can borrow $100.  this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to save your life.
HW: 260 SW: 231 CW: 153 GW: 140                

Kate -True Brit
on 10/27/09 6:16 am - UK

I'd ask! Birthday and Christmas presents in money would soon add up. Only trouble is, everyone woudl be watching your every move to see how it went!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/09 6:22 am
Sandy E.
on 10/27/09 6:32 am
I went through the same thing where the facility told me that I needed my co-pay up front. So I go to pay it early and they thought I was trying to make payments until I got it taken care of. I told them no I just wanted to pay to get it out of the way and they then told me I could have made arrangements and payments. So - orginially they made it sound like get the money or we won't do the surgery - but they were very open to having payments as long as it was set up before. I would talk to the facility and ask if you can make payments. They usually will work with you if you are upfront and honest about your financial situation. When all was said and done I actually got a refund from them because they took too much - It came just in time for new clothes!!
  Sandy E

Andrea U.
on 10/27/09 6:34 am - Wilson, NC
I know it seems like a great deal of dough from your side of it, but $1200 is not a terrible amount.

Loan?  Care credit (which is EXTREMELY easy to get comparatively.. trust me on that)? Loans from family?  Early presents?  Christmas supplemental income (cause they are hiring now..)?

walterswife
on 10/27/09 6:46 am
Ask if you need something.  Every little bit adds up.  Those who know you don't have the money, need the surgery and are in a position to help you will come through.
kimily1979
on 10/27/09 6:49 am - Catawba, SC
Oh first of all... you have come this far and sooo close...DO NOT LET $1200 stop you!!!!!!! Apply for a credit card... hell capital one will give just about anyone 1000 credit limit! Go to carecredit.com they do medical loans. That is a small amount in comparison to what surgery costs. Also, I would most definatly ask for money from my family members. Do you work? Have a 401k you can borrow against? Does the company do emplyee loans. I work at a bank and believe me in the "loan world" 1200 is chump change!

mywlsjourney09
on 10/27/09 7:19 am - Milwaukee, WI
I just went through this with my surgeons office.  Once they told me about my deductible I hung up and told them I would call back once I figured out what I could do.  I decided against asking people cause I didn't want them keeping tabs on me.  So I called the surgeons office and explained that I would need to postpone until I could find out a way to come up with money cause I wouldn't be able to save that much prior to surgery.  So then she gave me the option of coming up with half, told her I couldn't do that so she had me put down $100 to save my surgery date and I make payments whenever I can on the rest.  So please believe they are willing to work with you, just let them know that you can't afford to pay that upfront.
Loving my new life and all the wonderful things that go with it, on to my next journey!  99 pounds down and about 10 more to go but it has been a heck of a ride...

Most Active