MY SURGERY NIGHTMARE!

jjersey
on 12/19/09 10:03 pm

I had my open gastric bypass on wed. 12/16. my doctor got in there had my intestines in position and my stomach ready and then discovered my esophagus was to narrow to do the surgery!!!!!!  he had to put me back together and stitch me back up.  There are no words to describe the how i feel,  i can't believe i'm going through all this pain for NOTHING! and to top things off i haven't had a period in 1 .5 yrs. well guess what i got after the surgery! 

Barbara R.
on 12/19/09 10:08 pm - Toms River, NJ
Oh, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience! Just wondering, did you Dr do an upper endoscopy beforehand?
Poof, there goes another pound

~~~ ~~ ~ Barbara, wavin' from the Jersey Shore ~~~ ~~ ~
jjersey
on 12/19/09 10:16 pm
No, no tests before surgery. I did have a vena cava filter done before.  My doctor said  he's done over 3000 surgeries and i'm the first that this has happened with.
reenieb
on 12/19/09 11:17 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
I don't believe it is common practice to do an scope before RNY - I've never heard of that. However, a barium swallow test might have revealed that you have a narrow esophogus - I'm really, really sorry. And your surgeon SHOULD be held accountable for this. What will you do now? Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
HOPEisHERE
on 12/20/09 1:53 am - CA
My doc did the scope when I was in the surgery room right before rny, That's how He found out that I had several ulcers in my old stomach.

HIGHEST/298- SURGERY/276- CURRENT/ 217
Cynthia L.
on 12/20/09 5:08 am, edited 12/20/09 8:41 am - Clarence, NY
I agree, I don't think it's standard procedure for all surgeons to do a scope, pre-op.  Her doctor runs a COE, so obviously it's not required.

How do you suggest her surgeon should be held accountable for this?

ETA - typo repair

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

varelagirl
on 12/19/09 10:11 pm - Miami, FL
Im very sorry things didnt turn out the way you wished. But I am sure you are grateful your dr. was not negligent & chopped you up anyway, where you wouldve had to suffer probably life long complications. Everything happens for a reason....and although those reasons are not always immediately apparent, you have to pull out our faith in times like these.

I hope you recover quickly & find a solution you are happy with in the end.

Cynthia L.
on 12/19/09 11:06 pm - Clarence, NY
"Everything happens for a reason"

Yes, the reason was that her esophagus was too narrow. 

-Cyn

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

The Incredible
Shrinking Woman

on 12/19/09 10:19 pm - NY

That is absolutely awful - I feel so bad for you.   I am not familiar enough with all the types of surgeries, however, is there one available that he can perform that your your narrow esophagus would not be an issue?  Or has he already told you that weight loss surgery cannot be an option for you?  You may also want to consult with another weight loss surgeon to get a second opinion.  I am also shocked that they didn't figure this out when they did the endoscopy (I assume they did that as one of your surgery pre-requisites). 

Also, my period came early post surgery, but it became regular again the following month. 

Huggs!!!  Hang in there, I know this is a complete shock to you right now and I can only imagine how upsetting it is to you, however, like everything, time heals the hurt and disappointment. 

Nancy
"Learn from Yesterday.  Live for Today.  Hope for Tomorrow" - Albet Einstein

jjersey
on 12/19/09 10:25 pm
I did not have an endoscopy. the only pre surgery testing i had was bloodwork, urine, chest xray and ekg.
Most Active