Is Neurontin an Nsaid?

EternalPromiseofBloo
d

on 1/22/10 12:58 pm - FRANKLIN, IN
One of my doctors just prescribed this for me. Is this an Nsaid? I"ve told him about having bariatric surgery(RNY) and that I can't take Nsaids, but sometimes doctors have prescribed stuff for me before that I wasn't supposed to have. He gave me some samples to start out with.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/22/10 1:07 pm - Tuvalu

Now don't get me wrong..you have every right to ask this question here and to accept the word of a stranger--or a bunch of strangers--and make this health decision based on that.

OR, you could google the word and follow links to RELIABLE sources (pfizer, who makes the drug, or web md or the new york times) of information and see what the consensus is.  That would be the safer route.
Jacqueline F.
on 1/22/10 2:02 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
Any drug related questions like this would be better answered by your pharmasist. I take Neurontin aka Gambapentin... I have been told it is not an NSAID but again you should check with a pharmasist.

Jackie McGee
on 1/22/10 1:27 pm - PA
NSAIDs : non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs

Aspirin (Anacin, Ascriptin, Bayer, Bufferin, Ecotrin, Excedrin)
Choline and magnesium salicylates (CMT, Tricosal, Trilisate)
Choline salicylate (Arthropan)
Celecoxib (Celebrex)
Diclofenac potassium (Cataflam)
Diclofenac sodium (Voltaren, Voltaren XR)
Diclofenac sodium with misoprostol (Arthrotec)
Diflunisal (Dolobid)
Etodolac (Lodine, Lodine XL)
Fenoprofen calcium (Nalfon)
Flurbiprofen (Ansaid)
Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Motrin IB, Nuprin)
Indomethacin (Indocin, Indocin SR)
Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail)
Magnesium salicylate (Arthritab, Bayer Select, Doan's Pills, Magan, Mobidin, Mobogesic)
Meclofenamate sodium (Meclomen)
Mefenamic acid (Ponstel)
Meloxicam (Mobic)
Nabumetone (Relafen)
Naproxen (Naprosyn, Naprelan*)
Naproxen sodium (Aleve, Anaprox)
Oxaprozin (Daypro)
Piroxicam (Feldene)
Rofecoxib (Vioxx)
Salsalate (Amigesic, Anaflex 750, Disalcid, Marthritic, Mono-Gesic, Salflex, Salsitab)
Sodium salicylate (various generics)
Sulindac (Clinoril)
Tolmetin sodium (Tolectin)
Valdecoxib (Bextra)

Note: Some products, such as Excedrin, are combination drugs (Excedrin is acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine).

Note that acetaminophen (Paracetamol; Tylenol) is not on this list. Acetaminophen belongs to a class of drugs called analgesics (pain relievers) and antipyretics (fever reducers). The exact mechanism of action of acetaminophen is not known. Acetaminophen relieves pain by elevating the pain threshold, that is, by requiring a greater amount of pain to develop before it is felt by a person. It reduces fever through its action on the heat-regulating center of the brain. Specifically, it tells the center to lower the body's temperature when the temperature is elevated. Acetaminophen relieves pain in mild arthritis but has no effect on the underlying inflammation, redness and swelling of the joint.
Paracetamol, unlike other common analgesics such as aspirin and ibuprofen, has no anti-inflammatory properties, and so it is not a member of the class of drugs known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs.

* Naproxen Sodium
" Naprelan contains naproxen sodium, a member of the arylacetic acid group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)"
"The chemical name for naproxen sodium is 2-naphthaleneacetic acid, 6-methoxy-a-methyl-sodium salt, (S)."

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page: Click here!

I don't see it cited anywhere as an NSAID. My husband tells me that he took it for a few months and gained 80 lbs, so be careful. Also, look over the risks on the Wiki page I sent you to.

From Google:

Gabapentin (brand name Neurontin) is a GABA analogue. It was originally developed for the treatment of epilepsy, and currently, gabapentin is widely used to relieve pain, especially neuropathic pain.[2]

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Harlee J.
on 1/22/10 2:05 pm - Charlotte, NC
Neurontin is NOT one of the many NSAID medications. I am a RN 40yrs and had gastric bypass 12 yrs ago this coming Feb 4th. I do suggest though, that you ALWAYS carry an updated Google'd list of NSAIDs as some MDs consider some drugs a risk and one of those drugs is called TORADOL (ketoralac-generic). It is mostly given IM/IV for pain, so you would think it bypasses the stomach and won't cause GI bleeding, but 2 of my 4 MDs tell me NOT to take it AT ALL, as there have been GI bleeds associated with it IV and even IM. It recently is made PO (a pill) and absolutely I would never take it that way. You have to do your homework and carry a paper or some kind of info in your wallet from surgery on FOREVER.

OF NOTE: If you happen to have reflux/GERD before surgery, there's a chance it may get a bit worse after, make SURE that you tell not only your MD, but if you ever have any other surgeries, TELL THE SURGEON AND THE ANESTHESIA PERSON. Why?? Because they usually lie you flat on a table for surgery and if even with an endotracial tube in you might aspirate stomach contents into your lungs where it's NOT supposed to go.
There is a medication they can give you immediately before surgery BY MOUTH, to neutralize and further stop gastric secretion during any surgery. You really can't tell too many people things in hospitals these days. I'd much rather be called "silly" for telling each person who I came in contact with IN THE OR, then be on a ventilator or dead.

I wear a pretty 14 kt dog tag necklace charm that has a RED cross emblem on one side and says: SEE WALLET~Gastric Bypass Patient engraved on it. I keep allergies, when I had the surgery, what type it is, any complications in my wallet behind my driver's license so it can't be missed. As a ER RN we really DO look for things in people's wallets when they come in unconscious as we work on them. One person is dedicated to doing that you YOU stay safe.

Amalia S.
on 1/22/10 2:35 pm - Athens, Greece
OK I take A LOT of Neurontin for MS pain. I can't function without it. I'm having VSG in 4 days. What do you suggest I do from now on?

Over 110 lbs lost!! (Finally!)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/almost/   
Jackie McGee
on 1/22/10 2:56 pm - PA
The websites I went on suggested taking opiates like Vicodin instead of Neurontin.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Harlee J.
on 1/22/10 2:58 pm - Charlotte, NC
Get with the MD who prescribes it to you and see what he wants you to do. Since it is NOT a NSAID, he may leave you on it, but HE, not I has to make that decision.
I wish you the best post op and in your life! If  I were you, I'd call him prior to the surgery and have him call the surgeon, as you will need Neurontin post op. It is my understanding that current thinking is that any "brain chemical" shouldn't be suddenly stopped, but tapered down if you are stopping it.
H
Andrea U.
on 1/22/10 10:11 pm - Wilson, NC
I took it and did not have any weight gain.

Well.  I took it while pregnant and did not experience anything over what they didn't already expect.

rbb825
on 1/23/10 1:01 am - Suffern, NY
There is nothing wrong with Neurontin, it is not an NSAID.  It is an Seizure medication used for many other things like nerve pain in shingles, sciatica and as you said MS.  If it is helping you, keep taking it.  It will not be affected by your surgery at all.

Most Active