How long after iron pills can I start eating?

PhatMom
on 2/2/10 10:08 am
I take a prescription iron (Sevate 21/7), plus 500 mg of Vit-C at night with a saltine cracker and a little bit of peanut butter; and my heme iron in the morning on an empty stomach.  Should I switch these around, or will a little food not interfere that much?

--Danelle
5'0 --HW 205/SW-199/GW-125/CW-107
Goal Weight MET: 2/11/09!!

Starting BMI between 35 and 40?
Visit the OH
Lightweights Board!

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride
Andrea U.
on 2/2/10 10:15 am - Wilson, NC
No, that's fine.

Your heme -- if it's straight heme and not the heme/poly blend can be taken on a full stomach.  That's the beauty of heme.  It doesn't have the restrictions that ionic has.

PhatMom
on 2/2/10 10:18 am
It's the Bifera; but I will be switching to the Proferrin in the next few weeks.  I realized the other day, after reading one of your posts, that the Proferrin actually has more heme iron in one tablet than Bifera, and it's cheaper!

Thanks for all your help, Andrea.

-Danelle
5'0 --HW 205/SW-199/GW-125/CW-107
Goal Weight MET: 2/11/09!!

Starting BMI between 35 and 40?
Visit the OH
Lightweights Board!

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride
Sharyn S.
on 2/2/10 10:53 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
DO NOT take calcium and iron within 2 hours of each other.  They are both absorbed using the same cellular receptor sites.  The receptor sites like calcium better, therefore the calcium will be absorbed and the iron will be excreted in the feces.

DO NOT eat or drink any of the following within 2 hours of taking iron: dairy, eggs, fiber, tea, coffee, red wine, grapes, or spinach.  They each contain substances that bind with the iron.  The iron will then be excreted in the feces.

DO take the CARBONYL form of iron.  It does not have as many GI side effects as does the ferrous sulfate form.  Feosol offers a carbonyl iron that is 45 mg pure iron that is available at your local grocery or pharmacy.

DO take vitamin C with iron.  It enhances the absorption of iron.  If iron upsets your pouch, take it with a meat snack.  This will buffer the pouch and and enhance the absorption of the iron.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Brad T.
on 2/2/10 11:52 am
Wow, thank you.  I wish they had told me about this at the doctors or my visits.  Even told my nut what I was taking and when and she seems like I was doing good.  I am going to switch my iron starting tonight, to take right before I go to bed.  i always take a bottle of water with me to bed, so I will take it when I have my nightly drink.  Thank you VERY much for this info... I had no idea...  
I my RNY!  It saved my life!     Get Ready for the New You!
Sharyn S.
on 2/2/10 12:49 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Most doctors don't know squat about nutrition.  I had to take a nutrition course for my nursing degree.  That's where I learned most of what I know.  So, your nutritionist should know this stuff.

There's more.  Check out my profile for my full run down on vitamins and minerals.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

gadgetlady
on 2/2/10 1:25 pm
THAT was the main purpose of my question.  I take my iron in the AM and then I sometimes want to have my egg-white protein shake an hour or 1.5 hours later, and I didn't know if that would be an issue.

After my lap band failure, I'm loving my RNY!

1 Cor 4:7 - What do you have that you did not receive?
vitalady
on 2/2/10 12:55 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
which iron?

i take my iron + vit C with fruit. I don't take any pills on empty

I isolate them by one hour, either side

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

gadgetlady
on 2/2/10 1:27 pm
Bariatric Advantage (18 mg) or Celebrate (30 mg).  They're both upstairs so I don't know which type of iron.  They both do have Vitamin C; I know that much.  They don't upset my empty stomach (like so many other iron pills have).

If you separate by one hour, that's good news for me.  So the occasional 1-1.5 hours and then have my egg white protein shake won't have much of an impact (if any).

Thanks!

After my lap band failure, I'm loving my RNY!

1 Cor 4:7 - What do you have that you did not receive?
marymazilla
on 2/2/10 1:48 pm - GARDEN CITY, MI

Vitamin Regimen - BASIC plan

(From a large HMO in California)

30g of protein supplement made in water, 3 to 6 times per day.

AND 64 oz of water - minimum

This vitamin schedule is just a suggestion. You can take them any way you wish as

long as you follow the rules listed below. Since the rules can be complicated, many

people wanted a good place to start. That is why this schedule was created.

AM:

2 iron (25 mg each) Ferrous FUMERATE, Carbonyl iron, or elemental iron

Vitamin C (1000mg) ascorbic acid with rosehips

Mid-day:

Calcium CITRATE (500mg) with Vit D and MAgnesium (250mg)

Vitamin E (400IU E a-alpha tocopheryl sucinate)

1 multi-vitamin

Evening:

Calcium CITRATE (500mg) with Vitamin D and Magnesium (250mg)

Zinc (50mg zinc gluconate, chelated)

1 Vitamin A&D (10,000 IU Vitamin A & 400 IU Vitamin D3)

Bedtime:

Calcium CITRATE (500mg) with Vitamin D and Magnesium (250mg)

1 multi-vitamin

1 sublingual B-12 daily (cobalamin concentrate)

or monthly B-12 injection

B Complex tabs daily, are also suggested, especially for energy.

-----------------------------------

* multi-vitamins: (equal to Centrum)

vitamin A 5000 IU, 25% as beta-carotene, vitamin C 120mg, vitamin D 400IU, vitamin E 60IU, thiamin

(B1) 1.5mg, Riboflavin (B2) 1.7mg, Niacin (B3) 20mg, Riboflavin (B6) 2mg, Folate (folic acid) 400mcg,

B12 6mcg, biotin 30 mcg, pantothenic acid 10mcg, calcium 162mg, iron 18mg (ferrous fumarate),

phosphorus 100mg, iodine 150mg, magnesium 100mg, zinc 22.5mg, copper 3mg, selenium 45mcg,

manganese 2.5mg, chromium 120mcg, molybdenum 75mcg, chloride 72mg, potassium 80mg, silicon

2mg, boron 150mcg, tin 10mcg, vanadium 10mcg, nickel 5mcg, lutein 275mcg

---------------------

Some rules for vitamin supplements:

IRON.............

Take iron (ferrous FUMERATE only, NOT ferrous SULFATE!)

Iron is NOT a friendly vitamin. Take iron ALONE, NOT with other meds, juice, dairy

products, calcium, etc....ALONE (ok with Vitamin C only), or it will be useless. We have

a VERY hard time absorbing iron, so this is very important!

CALCIUM..........

Take Calcium CITRATE, NOT Calcium Carbonate. Not Tums (This is carbonate). We

do not absorb the carbonate! There are some other types we do absorb one is

elemental calcium. Remember.... do not take it with iron. Calcium also needs Vitamin D

and Magnesium to work. If your calcium does not have these in the tablet, then you

must add Magnesium and more Vitamin D also.

Multi-vitamins.…....

You should use a multi vitamin that is equivalent to Centrum (See above for a

description*). You will need to take 2 of these instead of 1 as we only absorb about

50% at most.

Vitamins A, D, E and zinc and C (and any others you may add)..…....

Use only dry tablets....we do not absorb anything in an oil type gel cap, or ones that are

enteric coated, or time-release versions.

B-12 injections.... you can get a prescription from your primary doctor for a vial of B-12

that will give you about 30 injections. The B-12 is quite inexpensive. I paid under $4 for

the vial, and that was regular price (less than my co pay would have been.)

If you don't like injections, you can use the B-12 sublingual. They melt under your

tongue like nitroglycerin tabs for heart patients. You can get them many places,

including GNC stores. If you choose the sublingual, you will need to take them daily,

whereas the injections are monthly.

Remember, these are the BASICS. If your lab work shows drops in any areas, then

these amounts will have to be adjusted.

Some additions...

Problems with hair loss or brittle nails.... add Biotin

Problems absorbing Calcium...add Boron

Problems absorbing iron.........add Copper

"When we stop running away from the situation that is scary - that is the moment we discover how strong we really are. So, acknowledge your strength...rejoice in it...and start breathing in life, as the beautiful, strong soul (being) that you truly are." - Rachna Sirtaj.......Love & Peace

Most Active