Does anyone regret having gastric bypass surgery

502Laxi
on 9/10/10 5:50 am - Denver, CO
Hi PinkyLeigh1013

Well, I've gotta tell ya. It has been 7 1/2 yrs since I had RNY. 5 yrs since I had a TT, and although recently I have gained 10 very ugly frustrating lbs, and even if the first year after RNY, was a struggle for me, having RNY was the absolute best gift I have ever given myself (and I'm pretty generous - with myself) :-). I am one of three sisters who had RNY. We all had different "issues" but, if I had to go back, and re-think things... I'd make the same decision!

That said, even with the complications I had, (open heart surgery) and sometimes still unable to eat certain things without dumping, if I had to be on a feeding machine... I might not be so gun'ho about it.

FOR ME, IT WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST DECISION TO HAVE RNY. :-)

Have a great weekend.
Work like you don't need the money....Dance like no one is watching... Love like you've never been hurt.   

Laxi 
babyface1
on 9/10/10 7:46 am
What your friend is refering to is gastroparesis and it could happen to anyone with any of the weight loss surgeries. depending on the severity people are either given motillium 10mg 4 times a day with food, have to have a pace maker to help with the nausia or have to have nj gastric tube feedings because they can't hold food down.

Regards 
rbb825
on 9/10/10 2:53 pm, edited 9/10/10 2:54 pm - Suffern, NY
I have never heard of gastroparesis having anything to do with not being able to keep food down. IT is when food stays in your stomach too long - delayed gastric emptying. It generally causes severe nausea and reflux. I have it and got it after a prior abdominal surgery. I take reglan and it is totally under control.

babyface1
on 9/11/10 10:16 am

yes that is correct I too have it , it was caused by my DS and the surgeon re configured me into an RNY and I now have to take 10mg of motillium 4 times a day 20 minuts before food to push the food down my system otherwise I bring it back up also I have to eat soft foods because my pouch cannot stomach solids.

I've had the nucler test done twice with the egg and milk drink and my results are 240 mins at half time for liquids and 400 mins at half time for food.

My condition was diagnosed as severe of both the stomach and intestines

There are also other people who have GP and cannot keep any food down at all and have to have tube feedings.

I was advised by my surgeon to join  gastroparesis · International Gastroparesis Support  to be better able to understand the condition it's symptoms and how to cope with the condition.

Regards

beemerbeeper
on 9/10/10 8:06 am - AL
Hi,

Make sure you check out the revisions forum here on OH and talk to RNY folks who are YEARS out. The malabsorbtion of the RNY pretty much is gone by 2-3 years out and that is why you hear so much talk of RNYers "learning to use their tool" etc...

Then make sure you visit all FOUR of the surgery forums and read, read, read.

Also please check out the science. Which procedures have the best (and worst) LONG term outcomes according to the scientific studies? I know you want a permanent solution.

www.DSFacts.com has a lot of the scientific articles that compare the DS to the RNY and should be considered must reading.

And while you are at the revisions forum check to see how many folks with a DS are looking to revise due to regain or failure to reach goal.

Hugs and best wishes,

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/10 9:35 am, edited 9/10/10 9:41 am
No...Never had that problem.  While I had issues with not following the rules I was instructed to in the beginning (which in turn, would make the food come up), I learned to do what I was told, chew thoroughly, not eat and drink with meals, measure and use portion control...and I was ok.  In fact, as time goes on, I was able to eat more and more...and when I eat things I shouldn't (which typically are things that caused me to be 270 pounds at one pont), then those things don't stay down.  Thank goodness those things don't stay down. 

Secondly, I knew what I was getting into before having the surgery.  I have family members and friends.  For each surgery choice, I know personally of 2-3 people who had it.  And I have seen each surgery type get 'rocked out'...meaning, that the person lost tons of weight and did great.  And I have seen people eat the weight back from EVERY surgery type.  For some people surgery of any type will not work.

But to answer the question in your header:  nope, never regretted it. 
Judi J.
on 9/10/10 9:53 am - MN
did they all have the same surgeon?

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

Elizabeth N.
on 9/10/10 9:59 am - Burlington County, NJ
What surgery did they have, when and by whom?
huskergalWsD
on 9/10/10 10:10 am
I could write a book on how much i have regretted having this Wls, nuff said!

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Most Active