Lisa Marie Sohr......Did anybody know her?

Maryellen R.
on 9/16/10 5:11 am - Sayville, NY
  I just read this article www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/16/2010-09-16_untitled_ _lapband16m.html I am so upset by it!

No, she was not a member of LIPO. I just read the article...I feel so sorry for her mom....it is interesting how many post ops go through a tremendous high then quickly followed by a terrible low. 

My personal feeling is how POST OPS should be mandated to seek therapy not only preoperatively! It is a BIG mistake and needs to be corrected by the physicians and the bariatric surgeons/industry need to mandate this rule ASAP. 

How many other suicides have been by bariatric post ops? I wonder if such a survey has been done? 

So many people cannot afford therapy if their insurance doesn't cover it and so many don't even attend support group meetings of any kind.

What can we do people? Can we email someone? Any ideas or suggestions? Together, we CAN make a difference!

Maryellen

Maryellen
To visit LIPO (Long Island Post Ops) bariatric support group website click here: www.liponation.org

"WLS is a journey, not a destination (don't get comfortable) ... it's a road that we must travel daily to succeed".  Faith Thomas

visit my blog at theessenceofmaryellen.com/

M M
on 9/16/10 5:34 am
 I wrote and ranted a bit this morning about it -- 

http://www.meltingmama.net/wls/2010/09/stomach-surgery-to-get-thin-but-not-necessarily-happy-here-it-comes.html
Tracie D.
on 9/16/10 5:53 am - Kittanning, PA
What a tragedy and loss of what could have been a lovely life if she had only gotten the proper support. My heart goes out to her family and loved ones who are left behind. RIP....

lifeaccordingtotracie.blogspot.com/
                                               Year starting weight 1/1/2010  was 370
                                          Weight at time of Surgery 9/13/2010 was 335

kdizzle
on 9/16/10 6:09 am - Concord, CA
I went back to Melting Mama's article about this and found the link to the article about her death. Very very sad, and I too feel for her mother.

Having lost weight and gained it back, reason now I am going to have RNY. When I had lost 82 on the WW program years ago, I found I lost friends and was alone, but thank God, never got so desparate that I got to this woman's conclusion. Like a lot, I gained it back and more.

I have had coverage for years, so I was able to seek out counceling all these years. Not all my ' stuff" was weight related I found with help.

I am thankful we have this site, frankly I get more help here  FOR NOW  than to talk in counceling.  My support groups I go to will be in my life forever, is my feeling.

I agree that after surgery, I will seek out a councelor trained in Bariatric issues, my own is not qualified in this area.

A few months ago, there was a young woman on here who even OH posted suiside hotline messaging to her and all of us. She was making statments , that indicated she wanted to die...over a email sent by her male friend. 
I was new to the boards and took this very much to heart. She needed help. I had people messaging me and I did them, fearfull this woman would end her life.
Some thought she was joking, it was not.
After this, I knew that I would be going through ups and downs later after surgery and to be mindful, and to be aware, that surgery does not fix everything inside of us.

I  do not know if Mandate is legal, but I do feel that we should be seen  by professionals more than the psych evaluation, which anyone can fake. 

Kristen Hunter
"Sierra and Echo"  springer spaniels    

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/10 7:05 am
My doc office have a "flat fee" to join the center, and to become a patient. It is expensive (IMO) but it covers nut support - pre and post op, and psych support - pre and post op. Once you pay the fee, you can make an appointment to see the nut or the psychologist (who is experienced with WLS folks and eating disorders) free of charge.  There was a few times that I made an appointment to talk to either one of them.  The nut - I do not need them anymore (I am better at that than they are by now) but I have seen my psych a few times.  Knowing that she is there and that I can reach for and get help - without worrying anymore about the money - is really good. 
I think a lot of centers need to that.  It cost money up front - but as we figured out - life post op any WL surgery is not cheap.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CAnutfarmer
on 9/16/10 7:27 am
I feel so lucky that my surgeon's practice offers monthly pyschiatric and nutritional counseling as well as monthly group support meetings. I take full advantage of all of it.

HW 254 SW 247 CW 162 GW 145  

First 5K                                        37:48
First Trail 1/2 Marathon            3hr 30min
First Regular 1/2 Marathon     3hr 7min
1/2 Marathon 5/20/12               3hr 6min
Manon
on 9/16/10 8:44 am - Burbank, CA
VSG on 10/04/10 with
I saw there is a mental health forum but it is seriously buried and it doesn't seem like many people go there.  Perhaps a depression forum under the medical issues tab wouldl be a good idea.  I'm a n00b on these boards so I'm not sure how this is done but it seems like a very good idea.  I'm in regular therapy for my issues but I imagine a lot of people don't bring it up on the threads because they feel like it's OT...

HW-280/SW-264/CW-214/GW-155 (5'9")

Janine Hallewell
on 9/16/10 9:43 pm - Awapuni Palmerston North, New Zealand
Here in New Zealand it is part of the package with the surgeon, but then again I am a private patient. We have follow ups with the councellors for the first year post op andthen they are always available for additional consultation
Heather :o)
on 9/16/10 10:14 pm
Very Sad.

I agree post op counseling should be mandatory. After spending so much time obese, its a whirlwind of new emotions as you lose the weight. There are WONDERFUL things that happen and fortunately I am someone that has 99% of wonderful things to say about post op life. That said I had my first surgery in 04, and have been mildly active in the bariatric community since than. I have met so many people who have lost friends, marriages, cross addicted, etc after WLS.

My own marriage ended but it had nothing at all to do with WLS, would have happened if I was 100 lbs or 1000 lbs (unjinx 1000)
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Most Active