BEWARE OF GASTRIC BYPASS, IT DOES NOT WORK!!!

ChristineB
on 9/28/10 4:53 am, edited 9/28/10 4:58 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On September 28, 2010 at 8:37 AM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote:
I stand by my blanket statement: I vehemently oppose the RNY and would like to see it abandoned yesterday. It should go the way of its predecessors because better options now exist. That being said, it does work for quite a few people, at least for a while. That "while" might be a year or ten years. Some people do fine with it permanently.

Nonetheless, I vehemently oppose the RNY.
So, I get it you OPPOSE RNY, whatever.

Show me the proven AMA medical studies that says that RNY only works for a while.

You are a piece of work!

ps - show me your MD credentials that makes you such an expert.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Elizabeth N.
on 9/28/10 7:36 am - Burlington County, NJ
I don't need credentials to have an opinion, honeybuns. I also don't need studies to see that the RNY does not work for everyone or permanently. I only have to read here.

Of course, since you're a "permanent" success, everyone for whom it does not work "permanently" must be doing something wrong. Yeah yeah, happy righteousness honeybuns.
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/10 10:31 am
 I forgot to add that my RNY DID WORK and that I've lost 175 pounds. But then, I knew what I was getting into and I followed the plan.
ChristineB
on 9/27/10 11:41 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On September 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, green123 wrote:
I had gastric bypass surgery 6 years ago and lost most of my weight.  About 2 years ago I almost died from the surgery as scar tissue formed around my small intestines and blocked all food going through.  My small intestine almost burst this was misdiagnosed for a year.  I am happy to be alive but since then I have gained ALL my weight back!  Please, please, please think twice before doing this as there is NO guarantee ( although they say there is) that you will not gain back ALL your weight, cause I did!!  If I had the choice to do it again, I wouldn't!   Because I have different insurance, they won't even help me anymore.  Also, I am at risk again with the scar tissue wrapping itself around an intestine again!  Please find another way to lose weight....one that isn't  FATAL!!!!!  Has anyone else who has had this surgery every gained ALL their weight 100 lbs. back?  Thanks and I hope to hear from you,,,very sad and disappointed!!!!
I am not exactly sure what your agenda is here but this is a support board, not a tear down board. Try again to be encouraging and not to tear down. Try posting on the forum for - "Failed Weight Loss Surgery".

What U have said about gastric bypass not working is inappropriate. Myself and my husband (2 different WLS doctors) warned us regarding the short and long term complications AND scar tissue and intestines blockages were part of our pre op info. We are both 7+ years out RNY and loving life to the fullest. We stay on top of our health with our physicians. There are many more members on this whole forum with many, many successful surgeries (of all kinds RNY, band, VSG, DS you name it) that would disagree with you.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

franRN76
on 9/27/10 12:21 pm - PA
Any surgery has its risks. C'mon.  You cannot blame it on the surgeon and the WLS itself.  Obviously you did not do your homework before you decided to have the surgery.  If you had of, then you would have known that after the weight came off, it was your responsibility to keep it off.  RNY doesn't keep it off.  You have that rapid weight loss period, then it is in your hands.  Your pouch can stretch and you can eat more than what the pouch originally was designed for.  

I have an aunt who had gastric bypass 14 years ago.  Like you, she did gain the weight back.  However, she went right back to all her nasty habits she had prior to WLS.  She also has alot of health issues.  My point is that she didn't do anything to maintain it.  It wasn't a failed RN.  The surgery didn't fail her, she failed herself!!!

anyways.  You need to take charge of your health.  You need to push and push until something is done.  IF Dr. A wont do anything, then go to Dr.B and then Dr.C if you need to.

I do wish you the best with your health and happiness.

Jeffrey E.
on 9/27/10 12:55 pm, edited 12/2/10 1:33 pm - New York, NY
You know, I am about to have RNY in exactly eight weeks. So far I have lost 50 lbs and four days after my surgery, my diabeitis went away completly. No metaformim or insulin. Amazing! I have been going to 9 months worth of seminars and have many friends who are sucessfully living with gastric bypass. It saved their lives because they would have died otherwise. There is no other way to lose morbid obesity weight and keep it off except through surgery. Some of my friends are 10 years out. Oh and yeah, one of them is actually 24 years out. She had her surgery back in 1986 when it was called an iliojujenostomy with gastric bypass and she is my wife. Do you see where I am going here? You had bad doctors. I am sorry for your bad experiences but maybe you did not have the right doctor or maybe you just had some bad luck. I find your post irresponsible when you make statements like "BEWARE OF GASTRIC BYPASS, IT DOES NOT WORK!!!" I saw your statment the week before my lifesaving surgery but I decided to ingore it. I am glad I did. Hid I not, I would have diabeties today and would be 50 lbs larger. Good luck to you. I hope that you get better but I request that you take this post down or at least modify it to say "Pick a good surgeon before your gastric bypass. The gastric bypass did not work for me."

Peace,

Jeff E.

mquirkygirl
on 9/27/10 1:02 pm - New York City, NY
With all due respect, I find your post irresponsible.  You haven't even had surgery yet and are relying on the successes of your family/friends to refute the OP's claim?  That is as equally generalized as the OP's statement. 

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

Jeffrey E.
on 9/27/10 2:36 pm - New York, NY
I don't know what your angle is but YOU are the irresponsible one. My opinion is as valid as anyone elses. More so because my wife has been living with her gastric bypas for 24 years and without it, she most certaintly would have died. She lost half of her body weight and kept it off all these years. But anyone going in knows that there are risks but the benefits outweigh the risks. I have one of the best and most experienced surgeons and a great support team. I am mentally and physically ready to have this life saving operation. All of my doctors are encouraging me to have gastric bypass surgery since I am 166 lbs over my idea weight and have all of the diabetic symptoms as high bp, high cloesterol, bad feet, apnea, low T, and on and on...

This discouraging blog should be in a failed weight loss blog and not trying to scare people before they are about to have their life saving (in most cases) RNY surgery.
mquirkygirl
on 9/27/10 3:38 pm - New York City, NY
I'm irresponsible?  Howso, praytell?

The RNY is not a one size fits all surgery and statistically does have a high rate of failure, so the OP is not alone in her struggle.  How do you know she had ****ty doctors?  You can have a great doctor and still do poorly.  You can follow all the protocols and still regain.  I am sincerely happy that your wife has done well with her surgery for 24 years and has kept all the weight off.  The odds bent in her favor and I am sincerely glad for her.  She is an exception, though.

Separately, I am not quite sure why you're giving me a diatribe as to why you're having the RNY done.  We all had WLS because we were morbidly obese and more than likely had accompanying comorbidities. 

You are aware there are other surgeries other than the RNY, right?  You give me the impression through the wording of your reply that you don't, and that the RNY is the only life saving WLS there is.  It isn't.

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

Jeffrey E.
on 9/28/10 2:27 am - New York, NY
Hey listen. I studied medicine and went to Chicago Medical School. I am more aware than you are of every option out there. RNY is the choice that is best for me and my condition. When you say that "RNY statistically does have a high rate of failure..." you are incorrect. It is the MOST successful form of obesity surgery there is with the best combined results for weight loss and a healthy out come. Of course, all bariatric surgery has risks up to and including death. But in my case the benefits outweight the risk. So unless you have something intelligent and constructive to say, you need not reply.
Most Active