Eating with a DS, PART 2: Another Day in the Life (pics!)

Princesss
on 1/23/11 3:22 am - NY
This is my random DS day a couple of months ago when I happened to catch some pics
You might need to scroll to view it all.

Now I can eat considerably more
This was at a bit over 5 months out

B - 2 eggs fried in bacon grease, 3 strips of bacon, 2 slices of cheese, 1 slice of buttered protein bread, about 6 grape tomatoes

L - 1 slice of protein bread, 2 slices cheese, 3 slices of ham

D - Lightly breaded chicken breast, salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, a litle sliced onion, walnuts and blue cheese dressing

As per fitday
38.2g Net Carbs
43.9g carbs
5.7g fiber

105g protein

food-11-21-10 -
You got a fast car
But is it fast enough so you can fly away
You gotta make a decision
You leave tonight or live and die this way
- Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/11 3:57 am
Thanks so much for sharing your pics! It all looks good, but that sandwich looks especially yummy. 

Do you often do 3 meals per day? If I didn't snack between meals my stomach would be talking to me.  Loudly. 
Princesss
on 1/23/11 5:16 am - NY
It goes through phases. Generally my meals are too large to eat in one sitting so I will break each meal up into 2 meals or sometimes 3 that I just go back to and pick on.

It depends on the day. Lately I have been having the sweet tooth from hell and have been eating too much sugar. Not sure why but other times I can go for weeks without thinking about it.

Today for example I had a protein shake w/ h&h, 1 giant enchilada made with a ton of leftover chicken a ton of cheese, enchilada sauce and a lc tortilla and a pack of peanut butter cups 2 full sized ones. I normally don't keep candy around but I have it to send to my brother overseas but I keep eating it lol
You got a fast car
But is it fast enough so you can fly away
You gotta make a decision
You leave tonight or live and die this way
- Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/23/11 3:45 am - Mexico
I eat a full fat diet but not high fat. I don't think I could handle cream in things, just never has been my thing. But what I don't get is how do you consume that much food in one sitting? Your breakfast, lunch, and dinner are about double what I can eat.

I thought they were making the DS sleeve smaller now and bypassing less intestine, did I misunderstand?

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 1/23/11 3:56 am
My surgeon started me with about a 5 ounce sleeve and a 100 cm common channel. Now that my sleeve has matured, I can hold about 8-10 ounces. So are your meals typically about 4-5 ounces?

There are some surgeons out there (like Anthone) who prefer a smaller 3 ounce sleeve and 150 or 200 cm common channel. But it varies based on the surgeon's philosophy and the patient's specific needs.

I have noticed overall that DSers seem to have a larger capacity than VSGers. I wonder if some of this has to do with VSGers trying to maximize their restriction while DSers are often trying to meet protein needs. Maybe we experience a bit more stretching for this reason? Not sure.

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/23/11 4:09 am - Mexico
On January 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM Pacific Time, Jenna Lynn wrote:
My surgeon started me with about a 5 ounce sleeve and a 100 cm common channel. Now that my sleeve has matured, I can hold about 8-10 ounces. So are your meals typically about 4-5 ounces?

There are some surgeons out there (like Anthone) who prefer a smaller 3 ounce sleeve and 150 or 200 cm common channel. But it varies based on the surgeon's philosophy and the patient's specific needs.

I have noticed overall that DSers seem to have a larger capacity than VSGers. I wonder if some of this has to do with VSGers trying to maximize their restriction while DSers are often trying to meet protein needs. Maybe we experience a bit more stretching for this reason? Not sure.

I'm over 2.5 years post op and I can eat about 3oz of dense protein or about 5 oz of soft foods like tuna salad or chili.

I just ate a cucumber... the whole thing! ;o)  But it took me about 2 hours.  I peel it, slice it like carrot sticks, and add kosher salt and lime juice.  That's a slider and it took me almost two hours. (I am a big time grazer so this works for me.)

Hey Jules
on 1/23/11 3:59 am
On January 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM Pacific Time, WASaBubbleButt wrote:
I eat a full fat diet but not high fat. I don't think I could handle cream in things, just never has been my thing. But what I don't get is how do you consume that much food in one sitting? Your breakfast, lunch, and dinner are about double what I can eat.

I thought they were making the DS sleeve smaller now and bypassing less intestine, did I misunderstand?

I must have a small sleeve because even at almost 2 years out, I can still only eat small amounts. Like for breakfast I can only do 2 scrambled eggs and thats it. If I have a burger or a sandwich, it is only half. But, then I can fini**** about an hour later.

My stomach was made with a 36 fr boughie and I have a 150 cm common channel.

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/23/11 4:12 am - Mexico
On January 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM Pacific Time, Hey Jules wrote:
On January 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM Pacific Time, WASaBubbleButt wrote:

I must have a small sleeve because even at almost 2 years out, I can still only eat small amounts. Like for breakfast I can only do 2 scrambled eggs and thats it. If I have a burger or a sandwich, it is only half. But, then I can fini**** about an hour later.

My stomach was made with a 36 fr boughie and I have a 150 cm common channel.

I'm not a huge fan of eggs but I would imagine I could eat two of them now, maybe 1.5. Burger, if it has bread I can eat 1/4, if it has no bread 1/2.

I have a 32F stomach.  Must be a 32F Short! ;o)  However, my doc is known for making very small, tight sleeves and I heart him for that!

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/11 5:19 am
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/23/11 4:02 am - Mexico
Hey... if you like black beans I have a fantastic product, it's seriously good stuff. It's Chata brand, I buy them here in MX but I'm pretty sure I've seen this brand in a Phx grocery store. They are refried black beans with cheese already in there. Comes in a bag (Kinda like wet dog food that comes in a single serving bags ... heh) and while they are fantastic I don't buy them often. It has lard and that grosses me out if I think about it.

The label says:

Chata
Frijoles
Refritos
con Chorizo y Queso

That one is made of pinto beans but it also comes in black beans. Both are very good.

Do you like black bean salad?

3 tablespoons EVOO
1+ tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Kosher salt (or 1/3 tsp reg salt)
1/3 tsp Garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp lime juice

Mix the above well.

To the above add:

1 16 oz can drained/rinsed black beans
1/4 C diced celery
1/4 C diced red bell pepper
1/4 C diced green bell pepper
1/2 C diced onion
1 Serrano pepper (or other type if you like heat)
Cilantro to taste (I like a lot, 3-4 tbsp chopped)
1 large Roma Tomato diced
1 small Tomatillo diced (optional, adds more color and texture, if no tomatillo double tomatoes)
Pineapple - as much as you want, maybe 1/2 cup or more

For the veggies just dice and add whatever you happen to have iin the frig. It doesn't have to be the above. I also make it with corn instead of pineapple, it gives it a lot more color. If you want it to look a little fancier add as many colors and textures as you can.

You can also add diced chicken if you want.

Most Active