Getting protein in..

lhollywood
on 3/23/11 12:58 am
 I have a super hard time getting my shakes in, or really eating or drinking  much for that matter.   So in an attempt to get my protein in, I am trying to double the amount of protein powder in my shakes.  I just made one now with two and half scoops and only a little more water just to make sure I'll at least hit  60g protein today.  Is this a good idea?   I've not been able to lose as much as I would like and really just feel low energy all the time, and I know it's because I'm not getting enough nutrients in my body.   So, has anyone else done this?  Or is it better to make a schedule for my shakes instead of trying to get all that in at once.  Any advice would definitely be appreciated. 
 "Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be..."              
Blazade
on 3/23/11 1:02 am - Onalaska, WI
Shakes should be a suppliment, not your main source of protein.  You need to figure out what you can eat and schedule your meals throughout the day.

Robert

lhollywood
on 3/23/11 1:08 am
 Thank you.  And I definitely understand that.   When I'm only eating a few bites of greek yogurt, or two bites of chicken once or twice a day because I get so full that shakes are a huge source of protein right now.  I'm not even 2 months out yet. 
 "Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be..."              
loves4kids
on 3/23/11 1:33 am - Goldsboro, NC
Been there - suffered that!  I always felt sooo guilty for whining that I couldn't get the protein in or the shake in...Reality - It is HARD those first few months!!   The protein is super important so just keep trying!  If you can only get it by the shake some days then so-be-it.  Just try harder the next day.  I would barely be able to finish a greek yogurt at 2 months and then not want anything else for hours!!  I would force the protein shake a sip at the time. 
I am 6 months post op now and have just gotten to the point that I get in about 70 - 80g of protein in each day.  A friend of mine was able to do that shortly after surgery and another friend still can't get it all in and she is nearly a year post op.

It also didn't help that my mouth, body and mind revolted at the stupid protein shake daily!!

God Bless!!

poet_kelly
on 3/23/11 1:35 am - OH
We really need protein spread out over the course of the day.  So if you make a shake with 60 grams, have half in the morning and half in the afternoon.

I know how hard it is to get it in, I had an awful time the first few months. I had tons of problems due to it, though, so I really encourage you to work at it.  It sure will make you feel exhausted.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/23/11 1:54 am
I need 120-150+ proteins a day.  Now - almost 3 years post op.  And  I make sure I do. That means getting 2 major shakes (40-50 gr proteins each). plus food.  
Best - if you could split the shake - but if you can't - do whatever you can.
Maybe try 2 shakes - each 40 gr proteins... morning and night. worked for me at the beginning... and then I di dnot have to worry about food that much.
When isolate is thinner and adding proteins does not make it very thick.. (I use 12 oz water and add 2 large scoops)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mgb96rw99
on 3/23/11 1:54 am - Manchester, CT

We are only able to absorb a certain amount of protien at one time.  I would try to drink smaller shakes several times a day.  I understand that you need to eat real food but you aren't very far out so I wouldn't push the real food too much. 

poet_kelly
on 3/23/11 2:40 am - OH
The ASMBS says that's just a myth that we can only absorb so much at a time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mkbeany
on 3/23/11 2:41 am
I had a terrible time with this early out as I had no appetite and very good restriction.
(it doesn't last...trust me...I have plenty of appetite now)

Anyway, I don't know if you like milk but for the first 6 months or so, I started and ended every day with a 16oz mug of warm skim milk with a pack of splenda and some vanilla extract.

Helped with my fluid numbers and protein grams as well.

Plus, it seemed the warmth got my stomach ready for the day and soothed it at the end of the day as I prepared for bed/sleep.

If I was really behind on my protein, I added a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk to the mug as well. Good protein there too.

The moral of the story is to not waste any chance for protein. I still don't eat or drink anything that does not nourish me. I track every single bite and sip in Sparkpeople and watch my totals carefully.

It gets easier- remember that.

I eat alot of meat now so my protein is about 100 grm a day with little effort on my part. Plus I eat Fage everyday. Plus a boiled egg for brekkie every day. Well, you get the picture.

It will work itself out. Stay on it.

Take care!!!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
siberiancat
on 3/23/11 4:04 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Have you tried making protein ice cream?  I had it every day the first year post op -go to: www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com .  She has great ice cream and other recipes.

I used to use unflavored protein in cream of wheat, sugar free pudding (from a box), put protein powder in greek yogurt with sugar free syrups, protein powder in sugar free hot chocolate, in decaf coffee, etc.

At 2 years out, I still use protein powder twice a day.  I can't get enough in by solid food alone.  I do get a minimum of 100gm protein daily and my labs are still low normal for protein.

Also get in at least 65 oz of fluid - hot decaf and herb tea and watered down ice decaf tea work best for me.

Make sure you are getting in all vitamins and supplements according to ASMBS standards.

Just keep trying new things.  www.bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com has great protein shake recipes.

Experiment with sugar free syrups, they are such a help to me.

Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active