Questions

grace H.
on 3/27/11 1:11 pm - Grove City, OH

First of all I want to tell you guys that after much waiting, I was finally approved by my insurance on the first try!! WOOHOO! My surgery date is set for 5/3/11=]

So, now that that is out of the way, I have to start getting serious about preparing. I have been searching for a while for free protein samples to try before the surgery because I don't want to purchase a container and wind up not liking it. Does anyone know where I can order free or cheap samples? And what are your suggestions for proteins? I think I want the unflavored kind so I can put it in anything.

Okay, now to the liquid diet. My surgeon told me I will have to go on a liquid diet a week before surgery and clear liquids only for I believe 3 weeks after surgery. So far I have thought of things like chicken broth, crystal light, sugar-free jello, sugar-free popsicles, etc...but has anyone have any more creative ideas to get the most out of my liquid diet?

I am having the open RNY. I chose this because I am just more comfortable with it. My bed is kind of high, so my parents are renting a hospital bed for me to put in the living room until I can climb in and out of bed and lay flat on my back. Is it a TON of pain? The capacity of all of this has not hit me yet, so I cannot fathom the amount of pain. Can anyone describe it for me?

One more thing lol. Is there any kind of cool gear that helps with things in the way of portion control and measurements that you guys would recommend? And any additional thoughts or ideas?

Thanks so much guys!

Grace

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-4

Ne te quaesiveris extra
do not seek outside yourself

Ladytazz
on 3/27/11 3:31 pm
Hi Grace, the best place I have found for protein samples is vitalady.com.  She has just about all of them for about $2 each.  That is also a good place to get your post op vitamins and she is very good at helping people out.
I can't say anything about your pre op diet because I didn't have one.  For post op I lived on cream of chicken cup of soups, hot tea, yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar free pudding and jello, things like that.  And sugar free popsicles.
I had an open surgery, too.  I had no  problem getting in and out of bed although I was most comfortable in my recliner.  The pain really wasn't too bad.  Just stay on top of your pain meds.  Don't try to be a hero.  In the hospital I pushed the button every time I needed to and at home I took the pills every 4 hours to stay on top of the pain.  I don't remember it ever being unbearable.  I also had an epidural when I woke up but when they checked it it had come out.  Don't know how long because I couldn't tell the difference when they took it out.
I bought a digital scale from Ebay.  I think it was about $7.  You can buy them at the store but at Wal Mart they were about $30 and up.  Mine works fine.  You can even buy 2 at that price and have an extra in case one breaks.
I also went to the dollar store and bought some measuring cups and spoons.  I bought some disposables tupperware type containers for when I started eating things like chili so it would already be preportioned and ready to eat.  Also at the dollar store or if not at Wal Mart you can pick up a toddler bowl and plate and forks and spoons.  I used my grandbabies and it helped early out.  I still use a baby bowl.  It makes the food look a little less pathetic ';)
Good luck to you.  It will be here before you know it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SleeveDivaNoire '11
on 3/27/11 4:55 pm
Try this site that Sublimate compiled for us newbies:

http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com

There is a listing of many companies to get samples from, maybe just paying s&h.  I got tons of samples and a wealth of information.

For liquid diet, Italian shaved ice; comes in a box of 6-3 lemonade, 3 cherry.  I found them at Wal-Mart near the Crystal Light popsiclrs.  They are sugar-free also.

Pain is subjective and individual.  However, I didn't need anything after day 4 except Tylenol.  In the hospital, I think they just gave it to me every 3-4 hours the first day.   Well, at least until that evening.  But, it wasn't so bad for me.

I store my food in 4-oz containers, but only measure 2-3 oz at a time for meals.  As stated already, the food scale is very valuable.  Your eyes may be bigger than your stomach!

Khem
AKA NotBaby_Fat
Ht 5'6"/HBMI: 50.8 /CBMI: 37.1
HW 315/SW 299.9/CW 230/GW 160

Tammy H.
on 3/27/11 9:28 pm - Greenville, OH
Congrats on getting a surgery date...Be sure to take your measurements prior to your surgery...I never gave it a thought and now after losing over 200 pounds I would give anything to know how many inches Ive lost...

I found that eating with a baby spoon really helped me not to eat too much at once...Good luck with your surgery !!!

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

mimilarue
on 3/28/11 12:55 am
Congratulations.....how exciting.  BTW, I love your bible verse.  As far as protein shakes..I love Unjury Chocolate Protein Powder.  If you don't like it, you can return it and get your money back.  To me it tastes like a chocolate shake .  Pain was not bad at all, but keep in mind that everyone has a different pain tolerance.  I was off ALL my pain meds by day 5.  It could have been earlier, but I got a cough for some reason and that hur my incision areas.  Food wise I am still on the Full Liquid Diet and my day consists of either: Cream of Wheat, Light Yogurt, SF Popsicles, Broths, Cream of Soups, Protein Shakes for sure etc....Good luck on your very exciting journey .
 This is a life long journey I am ready to take...bring it on   

241 at first consult
218 day of surgery 

MsBatt
on 3/28/11 6:36 am
Grace, I see you haven't posted much, so I'm going to ask---have you researched the DS? I ask because your BMI is rather high, and you're quite young. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, especially for those of us with a starting BMI greater than 50. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. It retains all normal stomach function, and generally gives a more normal post-op lifestyle.

You're just so very young to spend the rest of your life living with a pouch and stoma---if you CAN live the rest of your life with them. Visit the Revision board to see what I mean. You can learn more about the DS on the DS board right here at OH, and at www.dsfacts.com

Think twice, cut once.
Most Active