Tried Zumba last Thursday

maelena40
on 3/29/11 10:05 pm - FL
I loved Zumba but I think I did it way too much...too strong... I forgot I have 2 herniated disks from an accident couple of years ago.  Well Friday I thought my lower back was sore from exercise...but that soreness turned out to be PAIN.

I did some errands Saturday but that evening and Sunday just rested.. Went to work Monday which I work 10 hour and after 6-7 hours at work I was in pain and had to stand up.
Yesterday I went to Dr and gave me some muscle relaxer and strong Tylenol.
I didn't wait for rx because the wait was 1 hour, so I went to work and I must say it was the MOST miserable day I have had ever!!!! I was in so much pain....but I finished the day.

Today I stayed home... I need to lay down, planning on going to chiropractor (which has worked for me in the past and healed me), take my muscle relaxers, sleep and relax to get better.
Also take hot baths with epsom salt..

I guess no more Zumba for me...

browneyedgal
on 3/29/11 10:38 pm
Sounds like Zumba might be a little too agressive for you right now. (Not to say you'll never be able to try it again.)  I, too, have two herniated disks in my lower back and find water aerobics at our local Y to be the best exercise. If you find a class, give it a try. If you don't like it, try another one. That's what I did and now, I hate to miss class. The exercise is very toning and I love the ladies who I exercise with and that has motivated me for the past five years. Good luck and never give up hope! 
Elizabeth N.
on 3/29/11 10:52 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Zumba is not a good choice for someone who is seriously deconditioned AND has a back injury. If you still have a fair amount of excess weight, and especially if you have any degree of hanging belly/pannus, it's even worse. You need to do much calmer, simpler stuff. It's way too easy to really hurt yourself with Zumba under those conditions.
So Blessed!
on 3/29/11 11:06 pm

I had to modify my Zumba workout to fit my physical limitations.  I have multiple orthopedic problems and if I tried to do everything the instructor does I would be in a lot of pain.
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/11 12:28 am
Sorry to hear that....Zumba is a lot of fun, but depending on the instructor, it can be too much of a 'party'....lots of twists and footwork.  If you dare brave it again, there is no penalty for hanging in the back and tapering the motions down....   :)
dwpersel
on 3/30/11 1:10 am - Fredericksburg, VA
Take a Zumba GOLD class, not regular Zumba and you should be fine.

Diana ( teaching Zumba and Zumba Gold over 2 1/2 years )

Reddheadd7
on 3/30/11 8:13 am - CA

I have the Zumba Workout DVDs...I know I can dance but Zumba makes me feel dysfunctional with my body and rhythm! It's fun though, I just laugh at myself. I was trying to keep up with the workout and ended up making my knee hurt worse than usual so I've been doing yoga and icing the knee. Those twists and foot work are definitely a workout but I do have to bring it down some so I can get through 30 minutes. So don't give up! Just modify it and do what you can. Good luck!

Most Active