Wondering about bariatric surgery

buzybee7
on 4/28/11 11:46 pm - Oak Park Heights, MN
VSG on 03/14/13
I've been battling my weight all my life.  I recently gained back almost all the 85 lbs that  I lost a couple years ago.  I don't think my body can handle another loss/gain cycle.  I've been reading about Lap Band and REALIZE surgery.  Any info or advice about this?  I think it might be my best option but just wanted to know what struggles I may encounter.  Thanks!

Janine P.
on 4/28/11 11:49 pm - Long Island, NY
Hi there
How much weight do you have to lose?  You mentioned that you've recently gained 85.  Is that your total amount you need to lose to get to your goal weight?

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/11 12:24 am
After having lived with a lapband and had some pretty serious complications, I cannot recommend that anyone get a lapband.  If you'd like specifics, feel free to contact me privately.  I can tell you, that the band was the most expensive piece of silicone I've ever purchased!  Not to mention all of the radiation I exposed myself to, in order to get all of the fills and unfills.  I had my band removed and self paid for a Duodenal Switch, which has saved my life.  My diabetes has been resolved since the day of surgery, I no longer have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and my symptoms of sleep apnea have completely disappeared.  I eat like a "normal" person.  I don't poop my pants (like some people say DSers do!), I don't smell bad (unless I choose to eat white bread!), and best of all, I got my life back!

I would suggest that you look at all FOUR surgery options before you choose.  Even if your insurance doesn't pay for wls, there are ways to get the surgery you want.  Again, feel free to privately contact me for details on this.  Have a great day!

Wendy
MsBatt
on 4/29/11 12:29 am
With a BMI of 49.3, I do't think the Band is a very good idea. (Frankly, I don't think the Band's EVER a very good idea---keep reading this board and you'll see why.) While the Band's success rate is not too good for patients of ANY size, the success rate drops dramatically above a BMI of 46.

I suggest you look into a procedure that also has malabsorption, like the RNY/gastric bypass or the DS/duodenal switch. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss AND the best stats on resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.
Elizabeth N.
on 4/29/11 2:20 am - Burlington County, NJ

Don't get a band. Period. Look at the duodenal switch, vertical sleeve gastrectomy and RNY gastric bypass (do NOT get a Fobi pouch RNY), in that order.

beatrice00
on 4/29/11 3:57 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
The BMI in your profile is high. You might want to consider RNY. My BMI started as high as yours and I had RNY. I did not want to risk surgery with the Band and lose very little. I had 150 lbs to lose and RNY was best for me. Your doctor and nutritionist can help you chose. Good luck.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/29/11 4:30 am
 I wouldn't recommend a band to my worste enemy.

If I thought I could do OK with just restriction (like the band), without the added help of malabsorption, then I'd look at the sleeve.

I needed the help of malabsorption (for a screwed metabolism, PCOS), wanted the best surgery for losing and maintaining that loss, and didn't want any complications from a stoma. Things like dumping, stuck foods, a remnant stomach that can't be scoped, high incidence of reactive hypoglycemia, inability to take any type of NSAID for pain - all scared me.

There is a trade of with the malabsorptive surgeries (DS and RNY) which is that you have to have regular labs drawn, and take quite a few vitamins.

You need to read each of the boards here, and see the pros and cons of living with each surgery. 
Stacey-71
on 4/29/11 4:31 am - OH
I know some people have success with their bands, but I have struggled since 2008 with my band and will be having it removed and revised to RNY the 23rd of next month! Do some research on all the surgeries and choose the best option that fits your lifestyle and weight loss goals. Each surgery has its risks and complications! I personally have had a slip with the band *7 mns out* and stuck episodes that landed me in the ER twice with severe pain and insufficient weight loss due to never finding that oh so sweet "sweet spot" My surgeon just recently quoted me her personal failure rate with the band was at 30% and that is feasible to me! Just research, research, research! And you can ask me any questions and I will be happy to share my personal lapband journey with you. You can never get too much information!
Good Luck!
dakotagirl
on 4/29/11 4:41 am
Hi - it looks like you're a fellow Minnesotan. I had surgery with Doctor Baker at Unity Hospital in Fridley.  I would highly recommend him.  Unity has weight loss surgery classes several times per month where they discuss some of your options. 

Good luck.

Dakota Girl

Judi J.
on 4/29/11 4:55 am - MN
In Minnesota I think there are 2 surgeons that do ALL the surgeries, they are at the U of M

one is this guy:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-say eed-ikramuddin/

the other is Dr. Buchwald

If you have a high BMI, you really want to make sure you choose correctly. I think the most successful lap banders have less than 100 to lose. It is the toughest surgery to succeed at, no metabolic help.

Best of luck to you!
Most Active