Smokers/Smokers who quit for surgery?

Carolyn D.
on 5/29/11 5:26 am - NC
Wondering if anyone has quit smoking prior to surgery on their doctors advice/demand?  If so did you stay smoke free, or did you start after surgery, or is it a HUGE no no.  Wondering what exactly the risks are???? Please Help.   Thanks.
k9ophile
on 5/29/11 6:25 am, edited 5/29/11 6:26 am
Several risks due to impaired pulmonary function.  Also, smoke just doesn't go into the lungs; some creeps into the stoma*****reasing the risk of ulcers.  The money you spend on cigarettes could be used for vitamins or new clothes.

NO NO
Is that huge enough?

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

sleeve genie
on 5/29/11 6:44 am - Alhambra, CA
 All doctors will tell yu to quit smoking before surgery,  mine even does a lab test to test for nicotine and will cancel your surgery if you test positive.  Once you have quit for surgery doesn't make sense to start up again.  Use this time to break the habit.   good luck :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

shellbell75
on 5/29/11 7:23 am
I am pre-op, but as of today I am 3 weeks SMOKE FREE!!!!

Smoking before and after any surgery increases risk of pulmonary embolisms especially in the obese. It is a complete NO-NO. Sorry. Plus the way I see it is, I am having this surgery to get healthy so why would I start smoking again?
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

beemerbeeper
on 5/29/11 9:22 am - AL
After smoking for 30 years I quit because I knew I would be tested before surgery.  Next week I will celebrate TWO YEARS of freedom from smoking!!

I know that giving up those smokes has helped me in many many ways.  I LOVE not being tied to those expensive things.

And I love being able to breathe.  And I love not smelling like smoke. And I love the $ I can spend on better things.  And much more.

Quitting was the second best thing I did, second to my surgery.

~Becky

MM_Boston
on 5/29/11 12:04 pm
I was a smoker that quit in order to have surgery. It was tough, but I can't imagine going back to it now. I would never be able to do the exercise and workouts that I do now if I were a smoker again. It's also nice not having to stand next to a dumpster (the place where most smokers are banished to for smoke breaks) or go outside in the freezing cold winter. Plus, I'm saving a ton of money and will be using it to go to Hawaii next May!

You'll be amazed how good you feel in such a short time after quitting. Wish I had done it years ago!

MsBatt
on 5/29/11 12:18 pm
I've never been a smoker, but I understand that quitting smoking is one of the hardest things to do---some say cigs are harder to kick than heroin.

I'd planned on spending this lovely afternoon working in my garden, but instead I spent it in the ER with my mom. After smoking for 50 years, she was dx'd with emphysema five years ago. She's on oxygen 24/7.

Just something to think about.
Michelle_2975
on 5/29/11 12:49 pm - Canada
I smoked for 23 years and I had to quit smoking for at least 2 months before surgery. I used Champix and it was fine. I now have been smoke free for 6 months. I would not start up again.
xoxoxo1990
on 5/29/11 12:54 pm, edited 5/29/11 12:55 pm
To be honest not everyone quits. Actually to be honest there are alot of people on other forums who are alot more open and honest with their smoking. Smoking DOES increase a lot of risks but there are the certain few that smoke and are completely fine. My doc SAID he did a nicotine test before the surgery but i doubt it because i had no blood drawn or anything like that within the 2 hours BEFORE i went into surgery. I never smoked heavily either only had a puff or two when i was around friends so it wasnt hard for me to just not hit it.
Best of luck to you!
-Ree 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
--Dr. Seuss

Celia S.
on 5/29/11 1:19 pm - Grand Junction, CO
I quit before I even had my first consult with my surgeon because I knew that he was going to ask me to do so anyway. It's been almost 6 weeks and I'm doing just fine. My surgeon says the big thing about smoking after surgery is (depending on which surgery you have) you are almost certain to develop ulcers if you smoke. Of course, if you are getting the band, then ulcers aren't such a big deal. But the way I look at it is this: If you're taking such drastic measures to get your weight under control and get healthy, why not drop the unhealthy smoking habit too? Good luck! It's hard at first, but after a while, it gets so much easier and you won't even want them! :)
Most Active