Weight Gain

davis1969
on 6/6/11 1:33 am
Ok so I do know what I'm doing wrong!!  But I need help getting back on the right track!! Does anyone have any suggestions in which way I should go about to do this??  Please I need advice asap!!  I have gained 17lbs and It's only been 2 1/2 years since surgery!!!  I need to regain control!!!  Thanks so much

divataunia
on 6/6/11 1:37 am - Pasadena, CA
Whoo boy, do I feel your pain.   I've gained about 30 lbs back and I'm 3years out.  Regain happens to almost everyone - at least a little bit.  The harder thing for me is to not continually beat myself up about it - because then I make bad choices and eat poorly - vicious cycle and all.

Even though we hear it over and over again (potential regain), I think we're all continually shocked when it happens to US.  Just know you're NOT alone, and we all struggle together.  :)

Cheers,

Diva Taunia 

Facebook Twitter Google YouTube pinterest Blog RSS Facebook Page Klout Soundcloud

Vivian Prouty
on 6/6/11 1:51 am - Fort Worth, TX
 There are lots of things that you can try to get back on track and lose that re-gain.   First off....you can do the 5 day pouch test ( 5daypouchtest.com ).   or you can go back to basics like you did in the beginning and try that.    There is a book out called "17 Day Diet" and that is what I am about to start on.   I did it once before ( it is NOT a diet but a very healthy eating plan ).   If you do what the doctor who wrote the book tells you to do you will loose weight.   I lost about 10 lbs. in about 12 days.    We ALL know when we have a re-gain what we have done wrong.    The thing is....we need to get a grip on it and correct the wrongdoings before they get out of hand.    Good luck to you and feel free to PM me anytime for encouragement and support.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

CarolinaJerseyGirl
on 6/6/11 2:22 am
This just goes to a theory I have....... that there is something much deeper genetically that has yet to be discovered to explain why some would regain significantly after WLS.

2 friends of mine have regained and they honestly are not eating the amount or the types of foods now that they did previously to gain all the original weight. It almost seems as if the body is somehow programmed to attain and maintain a preset amount.  

I'm 11 weeks out now (RNY) and my nutritionist wants me to increase my portion size to 3/4 cup and eventually work up to 1- 1/2 cups. I'm still at 1/2 cup capacity and the thought of 1- 1/2 cups right now seems impossible but I'm sure a gradual increase to that amount is attainable by a year out. Maybe once I've gotten down to my goal weight the trick will be to back down to 1 cup to maintain it. Just a thought. Time will tell I guess.

Hope everyone's having a great day!
Sandy  

Kim S.
on 6/6/11 2:22 am - Helena, AL
You likely fall into one of two categories:

1)  You changed your lifestyle after surgery, but got complacent and stopped doing the right things

or

2)  You never really changed your lifestyle and lost weight because of the surgery doing the work and now time has caught up with you.

Either way, you can get back on track, but if you fall into #2, it will be much, much harder.

If you are #1:

We often get "****y" after losing the weight and think we are like "normal" people when in reality we will always be obese, just in remission.  Go back to the basics--track your food intake, try to stick to 1,200 calories per day with 40% coming from protein, eat 6 times a day so you don't get hungry, DO NOT DRINK WITH MEALS OR FOR 30 MINUTES AFTER (If you are RNY--not sure which surgery you had), and the most important thing you can do is EXERCISE!  It has to be a part of your life--at least 5-6 days a week mixing cardio with weight training.  Make sure you are taking your required vitamins each and every day.

If you are #2:

Make an appointment with a nutritionist.  You may need to be re-educated on how you are supposed to be eating.  Go back to the very basics of how you are supposed to eat and do not allow any "extras".  Track your food intake, try to stick to 1,200 calories per day with 40% coming from protein, eat 6 times a day so you don't get hungry, DO NOT DRINK WITH MEALS OR FOR 30 MINUTES AFTER (If you are RNY--not sure which surgery you had), and the most important thing you can do is EXERCISE!  It has to be a part of your life--at least 5-6 days a week mixing cardio with weight training.  Make sure you are taking your required vitamins each and every day.

Bottom line--you still have your tool and you can still work it.  The key is remembering that you have invested a lot of time and money into this life changing surgery, and you are worth the effort it will take to have the health and fitness you desire.  Desire is just the springboard of change--the real reward comes from what you invest in it.  Make you a priority.

I wish you the best.

Kim

divataunia
on 6/6/11 6:06 am - Pasadena, CA
Dear Davis, 

I've been reading some of the responses here, and while I know everyone MEANS well, I'm afraid that you may infer that "something is wrong with you." From them.  Something is NOT wrong.  Many, many, many post-ops go through regain.  For me, I had a life-threatening kidney condition which got me to an extremely UNhealthy low weight.  My doctor demanded that I gain 20, and I've gained 30. I'm still 20 lbs below his original goal for me.  

I write this only because I don't subscribe to the idea that you fall into one or two categories.   (No offense meant here, I just think that greatly simplifies obesity - which is a complex and carries so many variables that it's impossible to simplify.)  

I did not become complacent, I began to be able to eat again after almost two years of NOT eating being gravely ill.  Therefore, my body is going to gain weight.   I take full responsibility for the excess weight, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it - I'm going to continue to focus on how to stay healthy and remain at a healthy weight.

I think the #1 most important thing you can do is reach out for help, which is what you've done here.  Everyone's experience is different, but we can all relate and possibly help.   Last, but not least, check-in with your dietician/nutrtionist.  I'm sure that they can help you track what may or may not help you.   Best wishes!

Cheers,

Diva Taunia 

Facebook Twitter Google YouTube pinterest Blog RSS Facebook Page Klout Soundcloud

DebsGiz
on 6/6/11 8:31 pm - FL

If you already know what you're doing wrong, then you have the basic tool to get back on track.  Stop, think about what you're doing, what you need to be doing, and make the right choice.

Nobody can do this for you.  You have to take responsibility for the choices you make and understand that there are consequences to be paid for the wrong choice.  It's all up to you...

Wishing you much success as you endeavor to regain control. 

Most Active