problem with avocado

redfrog61
on 6/14/11 12:15 pm
I ate 5 spoonfuls of an avocado and it didnt seem to sit well. After 20 minutes I was doubled over with severe pain. Was that a DUMPING episode?  And why would avocado do it?  I had surgery 1 1/2 yrs ago/gastric bypass.
Mary Catherine
on 6/14/11 12:17 pm
 They are loaded with fat
MikeRoger
on 6/14/11 3:43 pm
On June 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM Pacific Time, redfrog61 wrote:
I ate 5 spoonfuls of an avocado and it didnt seem to sit well. After 20 minutes I was doubled over with severe pain. Was that a DUMPING episode?  And why would avocado do it?  I had surgery 1 1/2 yrs ago/gastric bypass.
It's fat content.Try eating it with green veggies.Be sure you drink enough water.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/14/11 3:49 pm
 They are very high in fat. Healthy fat, so we don't seem to associate them with it, but it is fat as far as your pouch is concerned.

If you really love 'em, try smaller amounts, and with another food, like a slice on a sandwich.
Johanna !
on 6/14/11 10:34 pm - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
Does fat normally bother you?  I eat avacado all the time,since 4 months out, but fat does not bother me ever...

Maybe it was too thick?
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

phred
on 6/14/11 10:51 pm - CO
If you still have your gall bladder, the fat may be triggering an attack, as gall stones may be forming after your weight loss.

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

MarilynT
on 6/15/11 1:05 am
Did you have other symptoms, like pounding heart, shakes, cramping, diarrhea, etc.?

yes, some people dump on fat but if it was JUST pain, I agree with Phred.....gall bladder attack.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Most Active