Did you gain weight while you played the waiting game????

newmerightnow
on 7/7/11 3:39 am - AK
Did anyone struggle with their weight while they were in the process of waiting
for their WLS? My insurance company requires a 12 month supervised weight
loss before they will approve you for surgery. This past year (will be up in
September) I have lost 30 pounds, then put it back on, and now I am 15 pounds
heavier than what I was at my first dr. appt. almost a year ago.  I have a feeling I
will be right back to where I started to began with, and the insurance company
will say I haven’t tried hard enough and I am not being compliant. Has anyone
else had this problem?  I have BlueCross/ Blue Shield of Texas, even though
I live in Alaska. They only require 6 months, but my husband’s employer tacks
on that other 6 months. Thanks to all that reply.

Marcia B.
on 7/7/11 4:18 am - CA
I have been having a problem with the same thing but fortunately I don't have an issue with waiting too long.  My wait has all been pretty fast. thank goodness - They can't keep you from having the surgery if you don't lose weight, can they?  Did they give you an amount you HAD to lose? I would call the insurance company to get the answers - I did even though it seemed pretty easy I made by asking the insurance before I started this journey.  I am sorry I'm not much help.  Good Luck.
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

mkbeany
on 7/7/11 4:23 am
We all struggled. Wouldn't be here otherwise.
But you need to find a way to get ahold of it.
See a therapist if you need to.

I can tell you my surgeon told me not to gain one pound after that initial visit or the deal was off.
He takes a hard line on this.
In his mind, it speaks to compliance.

And I had to lose 10% of my weight to get a date once my 6 months was up.

Then while I waited for my surgery date to arrive- I was told if I gained weight, my surgery would be canceled.

While I waited, they emptied all the fluid out of my band (gee, thanks) and I could eat a horse.

It was hard.

So, there it is. My experience.

Do what you have to in order to deal with this issue now.
Added weight equals added surgical risk.
No one needs that.
Not you and not your surgeon.

Good luck to you on your journey.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Phyllis C.
on 7/7/11 4:40 am
No I didn't, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.  I had at least a 1000 last suppers.

A year is too long to wait.  That would drive anybody to eat.  I think you are demonstrating your need for WLS because you obviously, like most of us, can't do it on your own.

Do try it keep it in check because losing weight pre op will only help with your overall experience.

Good Luck

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Godgaveus2
on 7/7/11 4:58 am - WI
Hi, I am experiencing the same issue.  I am currently waiting on my appeal from insurance and though I haven't been weighed since my last dietician appt, I think I am close to where I was at that point. I do know that I have changed my thinking and my eating habits tenfold, however, I feel I have a little break between dietician and pre and post op diet that I will have to be on for the rest of my life.  I have no problem forgoing bread, pasta, rice and potaotoes but the sugar part is super hard for me.  I thin****ep feeling that I will never be able to enjoy the things I love again so I have them now.  I think it's the last supper sydrome kicking in.  Anyway, good luck with everything.  I can't believe they are making you do a full year.   I thought 6 mths was bad.  It's been a long journey and I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Paul C.
on 7/7/11 5:35 am - Cumming, GA
I didn't struggle, my surgeon provided the perefect motivation.  On everything you were sent or signed it said in BIG LETTERS at the bottom "Any weight gain may result in a delay in your surgery"  This alone prevented me from gaining, I didn't lose much every month but I only had 1 weighin that showed I had gained and that was the second and this was due to the NUT gibing me the wrong diet. 
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
petiteposies
on 7/7/11 5:03 am, edited 7/7/11 8:31 am - FL
Oh boy....I am so sorry about those of you who have been given a sort of death sentence before you even get started.  I may get in trouble for expessing this way but...seems to me your doc is playing toward God-like behavior.  I have met with my Dr. Marema one time so far, he is at Flagler Hospital in St. Augustine and I feel honored to have drawn this man and this hospital to my life.  Now...
I am 75 years old (he did not bat an eye!).  I weigh 270#.  Dr. Marema discussed the lap-band that I had planned on and he explained to me quite sufficiently why it would not suffice for me.  The reasons being because of all my morbidity (hope I am using this word right).  Such as: dibetesII
Sleep Apnea
High Cholesterol
Hypertension
Osteoarthritis
Skin problems
Thyroid
not to mention my depression these last 4 years mostly concerning my weight gain.  I take 13 kinds of meds each day and I am aways hurting somewhere and I am always exhausted.  So, you see friends it is imperitive that I follow my doctors admonitions and toe the line before and after surgery.
One more thing!  I only just found out yesterday that I have to be on a liquid and soft food diet for 2 eeks prior to surgery!  Surprise!!!  I will have to step up my pizza, B'day cake, and Rocky Road ice cream party!
Oh and you know why we have to lose some weight before?  It's because we need to get the size of the liver down.  Makes sense to me..
But ...100 #, that's nuts.  Check around ...maybe choose again...do you really want this doc fooling around in your body?  Write again...soon...
I really want to know how you fair on your quest...hugs....SBV

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 7:47 am
Can you repost this in somewhat bigger font so I can read it ?
MacMadame
on 7/7/11 8:24 am - Northern, CA
Control-+ will make any web page redisplay bigger.

I know this because my eyes stink so I have to do it a lot.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 8:35 am
Thank you.. I did not know that...very helpful
Most Active