Jacked Up Metabolism

apple1975
on 7/9/11 12:04 pm
Ok. I am on day 7 of the pre-op diet. My clinic requires you to have 6 of their supplements per day. Which I have done to a tee. I have also been drinking 64 plus ounces of water a day. And I have absolutely not cheated once! On Wednesday, I had lost 3 lbs which is good. But, since Wednesday my scales at home have not budged! This pre-op diet is required for 2 weeks prior to surgery to shrink the liver. The paper said average weight loss was 16 to 20 lbs! OMG! Have I screwed my metabolism up so bad from years and years of dieting that I cant loose a significant amount??? I think I am pre-menstral right now, but I cant remember my what week I had my period last month. Would that make a difference?  This makes me worry if theyll do the surgery. They said that sometimes if you don't loose weight during the pre-op diet they postpone it! Also, it makes me think...Am I doomed to fail or have a snails pace weight loss after the surgery. I am soooo frustrated.  I think I will try to walk some more in the evenings and see if that helps. Has this happened to anyone else?
turningpoint
on 7/9/11 1:01 pm
in all likelyhood your body is shocked by the new diet and his hanging on to its fat cells for dear life!  Relax and keep going, your body will adjust and the weight will start dropping.    Your body will loose weight at its own uniquie pace.  That's just how it goes.
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
MsBatt
on 7/10/11 2:01 am
There are a LOT of variables here. How much do you weigh? Heavier people tend to lose faster, pound-wise.

Which form of WLS are you planning to have? The more messed up your metabolism is, the more aggressive a surgery you need.
Julie R.
on 7/10/11 6:45 am - Ludington, MI
 I only lost ten pounds on my two-week pre-op diet.   I kept thinking, "Hell, I am sitting here in liquid misery, and I could have lost that much doing Atkins!"   Oh well, after my surgery, I went on to lose 100 lbs in six months, so I'm not complaining!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/10/11 1:04 pm
 My weight loss was negligible on the liquid diet, and I was was so scared since my surgeon wanted weight loss prior to surgery. I thought he might cancel it thinking I cheated or wasn't motivated. I didn't cheat, in fact I did the pre-op longer than required, but messed up metabolisms do that to you. 

Some surgeries address the metabolism better than others, which is one reason I chose the DS. 

_Leslie_
on 7/11/11 4:44 am - Franklin, WI
I had a VERY jacked up metabolism before I got the DS... My body was so resistant to losing weight... 

Since I have had the DS.. .I am losing weight almost effortlessly...

I can't see what surgery you are planning on getting... but please research all your surgical options and find the best for you... because of my non-existant metabolism, I'm so glad I chose the DS!

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

Most Active