Fear is setting in

strwbryblnd
on 7/25/11 1:03 am - Salem, IL
I have had 3 1/2 days to enjoy the euphoria of having my surgery FINALLY scheduled.. now, it is taking a different turn.  I find that I am feeling more fearful than I expected.  I am to take on the 1400 calorie a day diet which is not a problem, I think, considering I rarely, if ever, take in that many calories in a day anyway.  But otherwise, I find myself thinking about afterward and the diet requirements then. I am one of those people who has to have things like that spelled out for me.. no grey areas, you know?  On top of that, I am a very basic eater.. I have always been one for simple fare..  meat, potatoe, vegetable...that's it.. I don't care for "concoctions".  I see so many who post a recipe that has chicken and peppers, for example, on a lettuce leaf, etc., etc..  and all I can think of at that moment is that I don't LIKE peppers and I am not a big salad eater, but when I do have salad, it's lettuce and tomato..that's it. I don't like most raw veggies but love them steamed..  Then I heard from someone that at the beginning you have anything that is liquid at room temperature. Ok.. but other than jello, I can't think of a single thing.  I am NOT a cook and I have no imagination when it comes to cooking. I just eat what I need to eat, that's about it.  Sounds pretty pathetic, doesn't it?  So, with all that in mind, I am feeling fear at my ability to eat properly once I have the surgery.   I know that some fear is normal for this situation and I'm trying to deal with that, of course... but it is there, just the same. 
Thanks for letting me vent.
Nancy
kig
on 7/25/11 1:29 am
dont worry you will learn. But right now just concentrate on your surgery and GOOD LUCK
lisa_clairemont
on 7/25/11 1:41 am
After my surgery there was a time when I would eat things I didn't particularly like (protien shakes for one) but I just reminded myself that I need to learn to eat to live not live to eat. It was only temporary. That being said I LOVE to cook.
Phyllis C.
on 7/25/11 2:07 am
You should have far less problems than those of us who like to eat a varied "fancy" diet.  Meat and veggies are the mainstay of most WLSs.

It sounds like you will be able to follow your surgeon's instructions since you are that kind of person anyway and not a rebelious rule breaker like some of us.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

strwbryblnd
on 7/25/11 12:26 pm - Salem, IL

hmmm  does that mean it isn't rebellious that I ADORE Reese cups.. and peanut butter.. and chocolate ice cream? haha  Thanks for the encouragement.  It does help.

beth1010
on 7/25/11 3:38 am
RNY on 08/01/11 with
I am scheduled for 8/1 and I'm doing everything I can to not let the fear of the unknown over ride all my hard work.  I know this is something I need to change my life for the better but I'm also afraid of going under and not waking up for some weird reason (no previous surgeries I think) so it's been hard for me to resist the urge to run.

I understand where you're coming from completely.
adnerb
on 7/25/11 4:21 am
Nancy, I had a lot of the same fears and thoughts that you express. I did see a counselor prior to deciding on surgery and tried to talk my self out of surgery several times! There is some wonderful advice on here regarding post-op diets. You will do much better with the basics for sure at first! Remember to concentrate on protiens first! Best wishes and prayers for a successful and uneventful recovery!
(deactivated member)
on 7/25/11 4:59 am - TX
Are you afraid of a limited or complicated diet or afriad of the surgery? 

Food can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be. A "good" meal will be meat and veg, little or no starch. IE Chicken and Broccoli, or pork and a salad. Corn, potato, beans, peas, are very starchy veggies and should be avoided pre-op. Post op I'm not sure, I remember my doctor telling me some people will go to Wendy's and get chili and a baked potato and nibble on them for a few days.

You need protein protein proten, and it doesn't get much simpler than that. Egg whites, whole meats like pork loin, lean steak, chicken breast, fish fillet, soy protein, whey proten, etc all count as protein. And non starchy veggies like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green Beans, Okra, Onions, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Cucumber (no squashes), anything green and leafy will help keep your vitamins in balance.

Things like pasta, rice dishes, even buttered bread will seem decadent to you after dieting awhile lol. It's almost like wheat and corn got together and formed a food mafia and infiltrated our diet on all fronts because almost all comfort food is derived from refined wheat and corn products, oils, flours, etc.
strwbryblnd
on 7/25/11 12:30 pm - Salem, IL
I'm not afraid of the surgery itself. I have had surgeries before so that's no big deal.  I think I am mostly afraid of my lack of will power.  But I think that in this case, that won't really be a problem.  I won't have a choice, right?  I actually like it that way. Just tell me what I CAN and CANNOT eat and I'm fine.. just don't give me vague suggestions. My brain doesn't work that way. ha  Thanks, you really helped.

MsBatt
on 7/25/11 12:42 pm
On July 25, 2011 at 7:30 PM Pacific Time, strwbryblnd wrote:
I'm not afraid of the surgery itself. I have had surgeries before so that's no big deal.  I think I am mostly afraid of my lack of will power.  But I think that in this case, that won't really be a problem.  I won't have a choice, right?  I actually like it that way. Just tell me what I CAN and CANNOT eat and I'm fine.. just don't give me vague suggestions. My brain doesn't work that way. ha  Thanks, you really helped.
Oh, you'll definitely HAVE a choice! Most people find they can eventually eat anything they could pre-op. It will ALWAYS be about making the right choices forboth your individual body and for the type of WLS you've chosen to have.

Do NOT rely on dumping syndrome to keep you from eating 'bad' foods like Reese's cups---only abouot 30% of RNYers dump, and not even those dump consistently. It really DOES always go back t o willpower.
Most Active