Curious about Insurance issues...

Alicia F.
on 8/1/11 12:00 am
RNY on 04/16/12
Hi all!

I am a newb!
Have enjoyed looking and snooping around at all what is here... still more to uncover...

I have not had surgery yet... i am in the beginning stages of getting it done...
I go for my first WLS seminar on the 16th....

I googled my insurance's requirements for WLS and I meet all of the requirements EXCEPT for the 6mos of physician guided weight loss...

Has anyone gotten approved without that?

I have a BMI of about 50 and probably have sleep apnea....  haven't had a sleep study yet....
I have Cigna Open Plan Plus as my ins.... just curious...

Thanks guys and gals!

Kim S.
on 8/1/11 4:20 am - Helena, AL
Your best bet is to follow their requirements.  Start now with the 6 mo supervised plan while you are doing your research.  It files by.

It is best to get your insurance information directly from your provider.  Please do not rely on what you may read on these boards.  Each company's plan can be different depending on what they have arranged for their plan.

Best wishes on your journey.

Kim

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 4:32 am, edited 8/1/11 4:33 am - OH
Kim is right. I'm half way through my 6 month diet right now, but not all insurance companies require them. Some require 6 months, others 3 months, some don't have a diet requirement. And different insurance companies have different wording on what they will accept as a supervised diet. Mine allows weekly WW meetings with 3 visits to my PCP to be weighed. You never know what your insurance wants until you get their bariatric surgery guidelines. So your very 1st step will be to go to your insurance's website or call them and get that list (in writing). That will give you a map of what you need to do to qualify.

EDIT: when you call your insurance you also need to see if bariatric surgery is covered on your plan, and what surgeries they cover.  Some companies opt-out of bariatric surgery coverage, so knowing if your insurance will even pay for it is really your 1st step.

Good luck!!
Alicia F.
on 8/1/11 5:03 am
RNY on 04/16/12
Thank you Ladies!

I called and got the info....

they cover and what I stated above is what they require...

They do count WW , OptiFast, Jenny Craig as acceptable but also need to be seen by a doctor

Most Active